Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Woman to do Trenching Challenge?? Mt. Lemmon ed. (it's like Everesting, but worse)
Quote | Reply
Come support, ride with, provide draft for, or otherwise be congenial to my wife, Michelle Howe, who is doing the Trenching Challenge on Mt. Lemmon.

Starting SATURDAY at 10:30am from the imaged location

Our giant motorhome is parked in the shooting area just downhill from the Molino Canyon Vista Parking lot. Can't miss us. Come join! She'd love company other than me. Promise you that!

PS. does anyone know if any women have done this yet?

Dr. Alex Harrison | Founder & CEO | Sport Physiology & Performance PhD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Mar 18, 21 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: First Woman to do Trenching Challenge?? Mt. Lemmon ed. (it's like Everesting, but worse) [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is the point of Trenching to descend 11,000 meters? Or to climb the 11,00 meters. I guess you can get one without the other but trying to understand it.
Thanks, John
Quote Reply
Re: First Woman to do Trenching Challenge?? Mt. Lemmon ed. (it's like Everesting, but worse) [DrAlexHarrison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trenching is for wuss's, there's a 21,000m mountain on Mars called Olympus Mons. Tallest mountain in the solar system. That's a real mans challenge. I'm over this everesting stuff, step your game up

Strava
Last edited by: RossJ: Mar 18, 21 14:38
Quote Reply
Re: First Woman to do Trenching Challenge?? Mt. Lemmon ed. (it's like Everesting, but worse) [RossJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RossJ wrote:
Trenching is for wuss's, there's a 21,000m mountain on Mars called Olympus Mons. Tallest mountain in the solar system. That's a real mans challenge. I'm over this everesting stuff, step your game up
Don't give HER any more ideas. plz & thx.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
📱 Check out our app → Saturday: Pro Fuel & Hydration, a performance nutrition coach in your pocket.
Join us on YouTube → Saturday Morning | Ride & Run Faster and our growing Saturday User Hub
Quote Reply
Re: First Woman to do Trenching Challenge?? Mt. Lemmon ed. (it's like Everesting, but worse) [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Is the point of Trenching to descend 11,000 meters? Or to climb the 11,00 meters. I guess you can get one without the other but trying to understand it.
Thanks, John
The former. But also the latter, in my wife's case. I have not paid attention to if all recorded attempts have included equivalent climb vs. descent.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to ask why Mt Lemmon? Its not steep at all-this is going to take 5 reps of the whole mountain and 400k total? 20 hrs?

Im sure you know what you are doing but that seems crazy to me. It was hard enough for me to Everest on a ~9% grade.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: First Woman to do Trenching Challenge?? Mt. Lemmon ed. (it's like Everesting, but worse) [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jordano wrote:
I have to ask why Mt Lemmon? Its not steep at all-this is going to take 5 reps of the whole mountain and 400k total? 20 hrs?

Im sure you know what you are doing but that seems crazy to me. It was hard enough for me to Everest on a ~9% grade.

I think that's precisely the point. Totally insane. She rode 500k and 20k feet elevation in wet conditions in December for the Festive500 and flipped a switch or something.

I think she mentioned 270 miles to get the 36000ft. Under 24hrs I think will be a success.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is something else, crazy for the sake of it. Definitely puts the runners who did the Mt Lemmon "downhill" marathon to shame ;)

I hope the wind and traffic play nice. I may ride out there and give a cheer on Saturday...or Sunday.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: First Woman to do Trenching Challenge?? Mt. Lemmon ed. (it's like Everesting, but worse) [Jordano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please do! I'm sure she'll be VERY appreciative!

She'll be somewhere between the bottom of the hill and our RV at 4000ft during the morning hours, just to stay warm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PS. She did it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats! Awesome achievement!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing! Can we get some data?

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, impressive, well done to her! How long did it take? And what does the recovery from something like that look like?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
PS. She did it.

Legit impressive. 20 hours with less than 1:15 off the bike. Crazy.

If you dropped some nutrition details - you know - that'd be awesome!

Congrats to her. Mindboggling day!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: First Woman to do Trenching Challenge?? Mt. Lemmon ed. (it's like Everesting, but worse) [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just over 21 hrs total elapsed time.

Our two rides on Strava tell the story:

Hers, the epic one: https://www.strava.com/activities/4985337146

Mine, the auxiliary info and pics: https://www.strava.com/activities/4985330465

Some discussion here

Last edited by: DrAlexHarrison: Mar 21, 21 18:13
Quote Reply
Re: First Woman to do Trenching Challenge?? Mt. Lemmon ed. (it's like Everesting, but worse) [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:
Yes sir.

Strava links posted in another reply.

Hit me with any questions. Open to criticism too. Certainly deserving in one major "woops"

Quote Reply
Re: First Woman to do Trenching Challenge?? Mt. Lemmon ed. (it's like Everesting, but worse) [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
And what does the recovery from something like that look like?
She'll take Monday off from riding. Maybe Tuesday too. First ride back will be z1 only. She'll probably be clamoring to swim on Monday. ha

Nutrition for recovery: eat every carb in sight. Then go to Walmart and get more carbs.

Quote Reply
Re: First Woman to do Trenching Challenge?? Mt. Lemmon ed. (it's like Everesting, but worse) [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfru wrote:
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
PS. She did it.

Legit impressive. 20 hours with less than 1:15 off the bike. Crazy.

If you dropped some nutrition details - you know - that'd be awesome!

Congrats to her. Mindboggling day!

See reply to other posts for nutrition data!

And yes, crazy is operative word. I was in rough shape at the end of my 16,000ft (less than half what she did). And I drafted her the entire time.

Quote Reply
Re: First Woman to do Trenching Challenge?? Mt. Lemmon ed. (it's like Everesting, but worse) [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:

It's "official" I guess.

https://everesting.cc/...me/#/hill/4985337146

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing. I make it 2.0 g caffeine, maybe a little less depending on how much was left in the bottles. That beats my PR at IM Boulder by 800 mg!

Looks like only 74 minute difference between elapsed time and moving time. I can't imagine riding a bike for that long with so little rest. I've done an ultramathon that took about that long, but I was in really rough shape towards the end. Can't imagine balancing and manipulating brake levers towards.

Not to make it about me or anything, just trying to wrap my mind around the effort. And on every account it's incredibly impressive.

What are some of the big lessons learned? Things you would tell someone to make sure to do/not to do for an everesting or trenching attempt?

Finally, full respect for climbing all of her descending. I hear that it's technically acceptable to descend the 11,034 m without necessarily climbing them all (by starting with the descent) but on Strava looks like she ended where she started. Hardcore.

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DrAlexHarrison wrote:
vonagut wrote:

Yes sir.

Strava links posted in another reply.

Hit me with any questions. Open to criticism too. Certainly deserving in one major "woops"

Didn't do it on one hill, needs to repeat to make it legit.

Awesome effort!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:
Amazing. I make it 2.0 g caffeine, maybe a little less depending on how much was left in the bottles. That beats my PR at IM Boulder by 800 mg!

Looks like only 74 minute difference between elapsed time and moving time. I can't imagine riding a bike for that long with so little rest. I've done an ultramathon that took about that long, but I was in really rough shape towards the end. Can't imagine balancing and manipulating brake levers towards.

Not to make it about me or anything, just trying to wrap my mind around the effort. And on every account it's incredibly impressive.

What are some of the big lessons learned? Things you would tell someone to make sure to do/not to do for an everesting or trenching attempt?

Finally, full respect for climbing all of her descending. I hear that it's technically acceptable to descend the 11,034 m without necessarily climbing them all (by starting with the descent) but on Strava looks like she ended where she started. Hardcore.
I think it was closer to ~1-1.5g caffeine. See "% drank" column. She didn't finish the bottles. She did 1.5g for her Festive 500 ride back in December (also 20+ hrs).

I can't imagine it either. I was dreadfully hopeless with about 5 hours to go. How she had the mental strength to have climbed ~18000 feet and thought, "okay, half way there" sometime after sunset, is beyond me.

Regarding the ascent vs. descent thing: She's a triathlete. That perfectionism runs deep. She was staunchly against such an idea.

NAB777 wrote:
Didn't do it on one hill, needs to repeat to make it legit.....

....Awesome effort!
LOL! I'll let her know.

Quote Reply