Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
First Ironman in Chattanooga
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone. I'm going to be doing my first full-iron distance at Chattanooga this year and I'd really appreciate if anyone can give any pointers about the venue.

I will have done two 70.3's (Santa Cruz in 2015 and Santa Rosa next month) before this race.

My biggest concern is just some tips and pointers for the course. Things along the lines of humidity, how to pace, how many hills, weather during that time (September), tri-bike or road bike, etc. I am admittedly nervous and do not feel ready enough to even finish right now even though I've had years of doing long runs and century rides. Any advice would help.

Thanks for reading.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [Khwang] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Weather has generally been hazy, hot and humid. Easy downhill swim. Get your nutrition dialed in on your training rides. Tri bike for sure. Some big hills on the back half of both run loops. Best of luck! See you there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Practice your bricks so you are running in the heat. Last year the heat index was in the low 90s and it was well over 100 for 2016. Then get used to hills on tired legs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there stranger

IM CHoo will be my first full as well. Go us!

So obviously I've never raced it, but I've researched the heck out of it from those who have. In short: The potential for one of the fastest swims in the circuit (downstream, depending on the dam output) and unlikely to be wetsuit legal. A fast-ish bike with lots of rollers. Not too technical, but harder to just zoen out and cruise like on a flat course. Nice run with some back-end hills to wake you up.

The tri-bike vs. road bike debate is a discussion in itself. *Broadly speaking,* I'd probably stick with your road bike at this point and put some aerobars on it with a proper fitting. A road bike with aerobars and a tri-fit is going to be very near to the aero setup of a dedicated tri bike. I don't think I'd purchase a tri bike just for the time gains. That said, there are benefits to a tri bike, and for me, those relate to not 'losing' my road bike to a specific tri fit, the better food storage, steering rake, and tri-gearing. I made a full video talking about the differences that you can check out here if that's your thing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNueF5dovGg

Looking forward to Chatt! Say hey if you see me.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd disagree with using a road bike on this course. Despite the reported 4800 feet elevation gain, it is really quite a fast bike course without any major climbs or much technical issues. Climbs are gradual so you can easily go too hard without paying attention. Roads were in fair condition last year and got better once you got a bit out of town. Even with the 4 extra miles it was still my best bike split and this was last year when it was really hot.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMStillTrying wrote:
I'd disagree with using a road bike on this course. Despite the reported 4800 feet elevation gain, it is really quite a fast bike course without any major climbs or much technical issues. Climbs are gradual so you can easily go too hard without paying attention. Roads were in fair condition last year and got better once you got a bit out of town. Even with the 4 extra miles it was still my best bike split and this was last year when it was really hot.

To be clear, I'm not at all saying that a road bike is the right move for the course due to climbing. Just most that at this point I'd probably just take his road bike, throw aerbars and a forward post on it, and get in a tri fit rather than go out and purchase a dedicated new bike at this point. But to each their own. Just seems like a lot of people are under the impression that a tri bike is always lots faster; compared to a TT setup road bike, it's not a huge deal unless you're competitive, and that doesn't seem like OPs goal.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on lining up for your first full!

A few things:
  1. the humidity in the south is real and it's tough to prepare for it without training in it. I'd prob do what a lot of folks do when they're prepping for Kona - hit the sauna immediately after 1 - 2 workouts, per week; I've heard people say they do this for anywhere from 10 - 30 minutes. I'd start on the conservative end of that and try to inch up from there. I did a similar protocol before Worlds 70.3 in Chatt last year and felt like a million bucks.
  2. Doing workouts in midday heat - yes, but a lot of people stupidly do this wrong. Please don't do your toughest workouts in midday heat, for about a million reasons. Pick 1 - 2 easy efforts a week and do those in heat, this is enough to acclimate and you don't ruin the purpose for those hard sessions.
  3. The bike - for the love, please do NOT ride this course on a roadie. That sounds so. damn. slow. I love riding my road bike, but the thought of racing on it sounds terrible. Especially on a course like this. It's no IMFL or IMAZ, but you'd be hard pressed to find a course where a roadie is faster (for context: I raced IM Lake Tahoe and trained on the course on both roadie and tri...never would it make sense to do even that race on a roadie). You have 2.5 months to get comfortable in aero on your tri bike. Do it. Spend all day outside on it, in aero. I prefer to do long outdoor rides on my roadie, but always do a 6 - 8 hr effort outside on the tri bike before an IM. Do some long indoor effots on your tri bike in aero (I love indoor 2 - 3 hr rides on tri bike).
  4. The run - hilly beast. Run as many hills as you can find on your long run days. Do your long runs as slow, easy strength runs with lots of hills. If you can access trails with steep climbs, that's even better. I trained for the Chatt run course by running up a mountain and I had a pretty good run there on race day.

You have more than two months, which when training for an IM - with a base of years of centruy rides and long runs - is adequate. I did an IM this year and didn't even feel like I was training for an IM (vs 70.3) until the last 2 - 2.5 mos of training. You're just in time to get after it. Good luck!

PS - find a coach...it'll be worth 2 - 3 mos of fees
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [milkmaid1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With 2.5 months to go, good luck in finding a good/great coach. The good/great coaches won't take anyone on for just 2-3 months. If they do, they are desperate and should be avoided.

Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weather that time of year is unpredictable. The first year, I considered it perfect (i.e., overcast on the bike and raining on the run). The second year, the heat index got up there in the 3 digits, with exposed sun and humidity. I wouldn't worry about the hills. Any that you have to climb will be preceded by a decent. I had my 2nd fastest bike split there of the 11 that I've done. You can probably ride aero through 95-100% of them.

The run is tough. It's just not about the hills. If it's a clear day, the sun will wreck havoc on you. Wear a cap and put ice in it at every aid station if the sun is out.

Khwang wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm going to be doing my first full-iron distance at Chattanooga this year and I'd really appreciate if anyone can give any pointers about the venue.

I will have done two 70.3's (Santa Cruz in 2015 and Santa Rosa next month) before this race.

My biggest concern is just some tips and pointers for the course. Things along the lines of humidity, how to pace, how many hills, weather during that time (September), tri-bike or road bike, etc. I am admittedly nervous and do not feel ready enough to even finish right now even though I've had years of doing long runs and century rides. Any advice would help.

Thanks for reading.

Quote | Reply
I think I will end up using my tri bike which is a shiv on zipp 404’s. Do you know if it’s typically windy? I’m a light guy at 127 pounds and during training, even 5 mph winds will twitch or jerk the handlebars around and anything more means I’m riding at a slight slant.
Last edited by: Khwang: Jun 25, 18 11:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you. This was invaluable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khwang wrote:
I think I will end up using my tri bike which is a shiv on zipp 404’s. Do you know if it’s typically windy? I’m a light guy at 127 pounds and during training, even 5 mph winds will twitch or jerk the handlebars around and anything more means I’m riding at a slight slant.
You never know what you'll get on race day, but generally speaking the wind there has been mild, < 10mph. I agree, tri bike all the way. Just practice on the 404s in aero and you'll be fine for race day.

Not much to add. It's a deceptive ~4500 ft of elevation, doesn't seem that much with all the gentle rollers, course rides fast. Run is a beast. Cool city, great place to have a race. Going back for #2, although that probably just means I'll jinx the weather again (2016).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Khwang wrote:

Typically not very windy though you could get anything on race day. I had some headwinds when I raced there and they were manageable. If it helps, I'm 120 lbs and ride 404/808. I know ladies my same size who ride discs when they race in Chatt. You'll do great!
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I first started working w my coach, he took on someone at the same time who was 2.5-3 mos out from Ironman. I've been working w that coach for 5 years, he's sent many of his athletes to 70.3 Worlds and Kona. To be fair, he was kick-starting coach biz at the time. Optimistically, if you get a good personal reference, it could work out well enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gotcha. I just assumed most have the terrible affliction (or paradox) that I have of having/wanting too many (yet still not have enough) bikes ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great advice! One last piece of advice that a friend of mine told me which was super helpful. If it's going to be humid, turn off your air conditioning except to sleep for the drive down as well as tooling around town. It takes about 48 hours of doing so but it will help you acclimatize to the humidity much faster. Felt terrible the first day but by race day the humidity was at least tolerable.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [IMStillTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMStillTrying wrote:
gotcha. I just assumed most have the terrible affliction (or paradox) that I have of having/wanting too many (yet still not have enough) bikes ;)

Haha, oh, I feel you there. I'm the only biker in my household, and I'm an impulse buy away from 4 bikes!

JustinDoesTriathlon

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
swim is typically not wetsuit legal but is downstream so pretty easy even for poor swimmers

Bike is mostly rollers with a few decent climbs but nothing I recall being killers. Use your tri-bike as long as you're comfortable on. Some railroad tracks on early on the bike getting out of town that tend to be a bottle graveyard.

last couple of years it's been hot and humid. get your fluids in on the bike. you don't want to be dehydrated going into the run for sure.

run is no joke. Barton ave (starting at mile 8 or 9 I believe) is significant and it's a two loop course so DO NOT go out too fast because you will certainly pay for it on that hill if you do.

enjoy the day. I did the race last year as my first IM and loved it. It's a great venue. Very nice course. I had all of my electronic gadgets fail me on race day and I still loved it. If I do another ironman it will probably be there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He didn't say he doesn't have a tri bike . . . in fact he does and this is CLEARLY a tri bike course. One little climb and a short technical piece at the end of each loop of the lollipop - the rest is really just rolling and perfect for a tri bike. Lastly, aero bars on a road bike don't make a tri bike.

You can go fast on the bike course but don't over bike it or it will bite you on the back half of each lap on the run.

The river front is great, the people are great, and the whole venue is amongst the best. Enjoy and have a great day!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mickison wrote:
swim is typically not wetsuit legal but is downstream so pretty easy even for poor swimmers

Bike is mostly rollers with a few decent climbs but nothing I recall being killers. Use your tri-bike as long as you're comfortable on. Some railroad tracks on early on the bike getting out of town that tend to be a bottle graveyard.

last couple of years it's been hot and humid. get your fluids in on the bike. you don't want to be dehydrated going into the run for sure.

run is no joke. Barton ave (starting at mile 8 or 9 I believe) is significant and it's a two loop course so DO NOT go out too fast because you will certainly pay for it on that hill if you do.

enjoy the day. I did the race last year as my first IM and loved it. It's a great venue. Very nice course. I had all of my electronic gadgets fail me on race day and I still loved it. If I do another ironman it will probably be there.

Gotcha. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No jinx please we do not need to revisit 2016!
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [1Wavemaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1Wavemaker wrote:
No jinx please we do not need to revisit 2016!

So... Tell us about 2016.

BTW, gas the race ever been modified due to weather? I've been gun shy ever since my 1st attempt to do an IM branded race ended up being a cancelled NOLA 70.3 last year.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman in Chattanooga [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not likely. September is typically not that wet of a month so there shouldn't be a swim modification. If they had flooding rains, there could be some dam releases but I think that possibility is remote. They didn't time it (the dam release) correctly the first year and there were some super fast swims. I had a friend swim 1 hour flat that year and she's, at best, a 1:25 swimmer.
Quote Reply

Prev Next