Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First Ironman complete, just more volume next year?
Quote | Reply
Background: Competitive marathon runner who was sick of injuries so decided to try IM tri due to the amount of cross training I was doing.

I completed my first Ironman at IMTX last weekend running through to 9th in M35. I managed to execute a pretty solid build utilising the Friel Tri Training Bible, my Training Peaks TSB, and getting just competent at swimming with a few lessons and twice weekly swim squads.

I'm crowd sourcing ideas for my IM build in the first half of 2018 where I`ll be aiming to Kona Qualify. Any ideas / suggestions for development? More volume, or just be patient / consistent with similar training and let the improvements come at their own pace?

Current develop plan:
* stay consistent with the swimming (2-3 swims a week)
* keep getting a lesson every few months to monitor progress
* longer rides (train my neck, back, and shoulders!) and a new fit
* maintain fitness from my run focus in second half of 2017 (Marathon at start of October)

Race Plan:
June: Victoria 70.3
July: Whistler 70.3
Aug: Running
Sep: BC 10k Champs
Oct: BC Marathon Champs
Nov: Chill
Dec: Triathlon
2018: North American IM + Hawaii IM

Training Peaks Performance Management Chart:
1 - 2.5hr spin, 1.5hr run @ IM pace
2 - 140k ride / 5k run @ IM pace
3 - 2.6k swim / 100k indoor bike / 24k run @ IM pace (too fast)
4 - IM

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Last edited by: nbrowne1: Apr 28, 17 2:43
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman complete, just more volume next year? [nbrowne1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say work on your swim, and get more aero on the bike for starters. That could save you 15+ min right there.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman complete, just more volume next year? [nbrowne1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd say just stick to your plan and make steady improvement in your swimming and biking over the next year. It looks like you missed Kona by 1 slot, so you only need 5-15 minutes more:

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=6287243#p6287243

Strava
Last edited by: gmh39: Apr 28, 17 5:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can from a running background as well. I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice to get to 4-5 swims a week, but I don't agree with that. Assuming your swim isn't awful, just try to get stronger in the water so you can get out of the water without feeling shitkicked. Now you just need a plan to do an 8-8:20 bike/run combo to get a kona spot. Now work on getting stronger in the bike so you can get off the bike and run a low 3 marathon. The amount of work needed to lower your swim by a few min would be better used to work on your bike run where you could lower it by 10-20.
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman complete, just more volume next year? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
I would say work on your swim, and get more aero on the bike for starters. That could save you 15+ min right there.

2nd aero...looks like your position is conservative. You mentioned continuing to work on conditioning the body for the aero position and I think that's smart as you could be more aero if you can hold the position.
Last edited by: badgertri: Apr 28, 17 8:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are those swims looking like... any coaching ?

If you are doing what most former runners do you will benefit from more intensity in the pool. Between that and improved technique could save you those last few minutes you need to KQ and should be faster with less effort.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman complete, just more volume next year? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Position was set conservatively when I first got the bike with Ironman in mind. I think I can push it down a bit now.

Swim wise, 2x 1hr sessions with a triathlon squad. Tempo+threshold+hard Intervals, pull buoy, buoy and paddles. Usually one more swim Solo for 40 min or so.

Intermittent 1hr Lessons with a company who have a swim Flume, mirror on the bottom, and various cameras. Get a vid and comments during and emailed afterwards.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/nbrowne1
Last edited by: nbrowne1: Apr 28, 17 13:32
Quote Reply
Re: First Ironman complete, just more volume next year? [friesen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friesen wrote:
I can from a running background as well. I'm sure you'll get a lot of advice to get to 4-5 swims a week, but I don't agree with that. Assuming your swim isn't awful, just try to get stronger in the water so you can get out of the water without feeling shitkicked. Now you just need a plan to do an 8-8:20 bike/run combo to get a kona spot. Now work on getting stronger in the bike so you can get off the bike and run a low 3 marathon. The amount of work needed to lower your swim by a few min would be better used to work on your bike run where you could lower it by 10-20.

^^This.
1.09.15" is not bad, ironman Texas was freshwater without wetsuit?

Congratulations to the Threadowner and good luck next year.
Quote Reply