Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First IM in the sea questions
Quote | Reply
I'll be doing my first IM in the sea at Lanzarote and had two questions:

1- how important is the shower after the swim? Do I need to take my time to be sure there is no salt left or can I just go quickly through it?

2- Is there a problem with wearing my singlet under the wetsuit? (Same salt problem question)

Thanks

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Re: First IM in the sea questions [rferron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only done a 1/2 IM with ocean swim, but didn't shower or rinse coming out of the water. I wore my top and tri shorts under my wetsuit. I had no problems. I did put on quite a bit of Body Glide in the appropriate locations.

Have fun in Lanzarote!

------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Salt can cause chaffing but you'll likely be sweating out some as well so this worry should be low on your list of "things you can control." Dab a little vaseline under your shorts where your legs might rub the seat prior to the swim start. If you are time oriented, don't lollygag in the rinse area. Wear the singlet under the wetsuit. more vaseline under your armpits at the start of the run.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: First IM in the sea questions [jmorrissey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jim! Watching the pros, I thought that was the answer but still wanted to be sure...

By the way, love your blog you nerd god!

Marty, thanks also. I wont put any vaseline since it's not wetsuit friendly but will sure put Bodyglide...

Richard

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I was there about a month ago for a training camp and that island is tough on the body and mind. The swim was nice, though.

Anyway, what Marty G. said was right on. Just run thru the showers, and what salt the shower doesn't rinse out, your sweat will. From the looks of the bike course, a little salt chafing will be the least of your problems.

Give 'em hell and good luck!

Marty S.

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Re: First IM in the sea questions [ssn759co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Marty S. !

I'm sure looking forward to it.

Richard

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While salt may not be a problem, sand might. At IMFLA a couple of years ago the surf was up and sand got everywhere. If that's the case in LZ, I suggest taking a few extra seconds for a more complete shower. Trust me, you don't want your chamois feeling like sandpaper.
Quote Reply
Re: First IM in the sea questions [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
point taken.

Thanks

Richard

Quote Reply