Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Finman: i think we've all had our say
Quote | Reply
online communities such as this one have their good and bad sides. north american sports conducted its ironman florida event, and became aware of a person conducting the swim leg with fins. but, they were unable to identify the individual. a large contingent of this community competed or spectated in that race, and because of eyewitnesses and pictures taken evidence was generated that aided NAS in identifying the person in the photos with the fins. that's the "good" that can come from online communities.

as i noted in my post from last night, NAS has completed its process, DQ'd the individual, and will not let him race for a year in its events. USAT has chosen not to institute a ban as i understand it. the individual has the right to an appeal under USAT rules, though it is my guess this right refers to his DQ at the race, not to the ban. but i don't want to speak out of turn, perhaps jim riccitello and/or USAT will amplify on this.

we've all said all we need to say about the incident. from here forward, what we typically see is the bad side of internet forum boards manifesting themselves. i don't see that a purpose is served. accordingly, let's just move on.

i just spoke to jim riccitello, and i think he may post something here to round out our knowledge. i'm going to wait for his post, then lock this thread down.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Finman: i think we've all had our say [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so we're no longer free to wallow in our own crapulence :(

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Finman: i think we've all had our say [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"so we're no longer free to wallow in our own crapulence :("

regrettable, i know, but you've gotten to the essential truth of it: no more crapulence wallowing.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, I get what you mean but...

but I really do love the potential photoshopping opportunities here.

Maybe in the lavender room this can be allowed at least?

=)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why did you delete my post?

You are part of a league of morons. Oh, yes. You see you're one of the morons I've been fighting my whole life. But guess what. Today, I win.
Quote Reply
Re: Finman: i think we've all had our say [Osbourne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
this whole thing has gotten very weird and mysterious for some reason. is this guy 'connected' or something :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Why did you delete my post?"

because you aren't hearing me. there is no free speech here. there is no expectation of a first amendment right. i've run this forum board for 9 years. some old guys get a twitch in their knees when the barometer drops. I get a twitch in my knee when the tenor of the conversation drops. i got that twitch. you're not respecting my twitch.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without the positive ID that came from this forum, I doubt we would have been able to attach a name to additional evidence we gathered regarding the fin incident. Many thanks for that.

Ironman has also issued a 1 year ban. Information has been given to USAT, but we can only ban him from Ironman and NAS events - not any other USAT sanctioned event. I have no idea if USAT will feel the need to act further on this.

Personally, I think this has been dealt with and an appropriate punishment was issued. For me - if I let linger, all the issues that bothered me, I'd be a miserable man. As my coaching mentor used to say, "Let it go."

What's next?

JR

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old men don't take the ball and go home. Especially after calling all the kids out saying that we can play again.

You are part of a league of morons. Oh, yes. You see you're one of the morons I've been fighting my whole life. But guess what. Today, I win.
Quote Reply
Re: Finman: i think we've all had our say [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"but I really do love the potential photoshopping opportunities here."

jimmy and i were talking, we agreed that the guy with the outboard motor on his back was just about the funniest thing either of us have seen since, i don't know, borat or something.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Finman: i think we've all had our say [Jimtraci] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What's next?
JR

I was thinking we could lynch you next... but maybe just after IMAZ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally agree!! my wife even laughed!

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread entertained me for days... [editor's note: and why don't we just leave it at that]
Last edited by: Slowman: Nov 13, 08 10:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I was thinking we could lynch you next... but maybe just after IMAZ?"

that's creative thinking, osbourne. i'd give you a 24hr thread on that, heck, i'd join in.

but why wait? ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Old men don't take the ball and go home. Especially after calling all the kids out saying that we can play again.
His board, his rules.

I think it was the mention of another person who everyone suspects doesn't play by the rules. But, there is no real "proof" and he's never been DQ'd.

Plus, he's right. It just rapidly spiraled into another "Well drafting is cheating too", etc etc etc.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I was thinking we could lynch you next... but maybe just after IMAZ?"

Maybe you should shoot for BEFORE AZ - especially if you're racing;)

JR

"When you hang a man, you better look at him." (Hopefully everyone knows what movie that's from ... )

Jimmy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"..you're not respecting my twitch."

CLASSIC pun!

I may have finally found my signature line!

"Outwork your talent." Kevin McHale
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"but I really do love the potential photoshopping opportunities here."

jimmy and i were talking, we agreed that the guy with the outboard motor on his back was just about the funniest thing either of us have seen since, i don't know, borat or something.
Dan, we have never met but I like you!

-----------------------------------------
Donate now to the war on ALS
Last edited by: RACERX: Nov 13, 08 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jimmy, get a myathlete GPS unit to wear at IMAZ, and we can watch in real time who you are watching. Smile

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Finman: i think we've all had our say [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you may have reached a new low.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Re: Finman: i think we've all had our say [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure there are great applications for GPS in triathlon - but tracking a draft marshal is not one of them:)

JR

Jimmy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's next is preventing someone from making their own "fins" out of laminated cardboard inside neoprene booties.

My feet froze at IMCali 70.3 and will again at IMAZ because I thought they were illegal to use unless specifically O.K.'d by the RD.

Bottom line on booties-yes or no?

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amen, although it was funny at times and interesting while it lasted it did at times veer towards a very dark place. But at least it seems like the authorities did find the offender and a just punishment was handed out that this person will have to live with, along with what may be years of public humiliation at future races.

Fingate should now go forever into the vault and be just a humorous footnote to IMFL 2008.

In Reply To:
Fingate should now go forever into the vault and be just a humorous footnote to IMFL 2008.
Why is it that any hint of a scandal now has to be referred to as "xxxxgate"?

Put that down as the most overused phrase of the last 15 years.

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Finman: i think we've all had our say [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you. I term this offense "grammergate"

Styrrell
Quote Reply

Prev Next