Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finis tempo trainer does not work
Quote | Reply
I bought a Finis tempo trainer a few years ago but forgot all about it. Found it the other day while cleaning and decided to give it a go. Couldn't turn it on, so assumed the battery had gone flat. Bought a new battery today but still can't turn it on. Checked online and apparently it should suffice to push and hold a button. Nothing happens.

Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Finis tempo trainer does not work [AS88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Email Finis and see what they will do. They are junk and break all the time...I’m on number 3 in four years, but there isn’t really any other option, so no incentive for them to improve. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the same. Mine have flood and died at a rate of a few per year. And, if they go unused for too long, they also die.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here are a few suggestions.

1. Make sure you are holding down the correct button. It' the right one on the bottom (for 3 seconds). Not the single button on the top of the unit which changes the mode.

2. Make sure you have the battery installed the right direction. I've put them in upside down and it didn't work.

3. Try ANOTHER battery. Even if you just bought it. I buy them in packs of 10 from Amazon to save money but sometimes I find even a new one is bad.

4. If it still doesn't work I would contact their service/support. They have been good with me at replacing faulty things. Unfortunately when you mix water and electronics it's pretty easy for things to go bad. Not sure if you ever got to use it a few years ago but if you did and it got some water in it, it may have corroded the electronics.

If you do getting working I suggest using top button to get it to Mode 3 (Strokes per minute) and see if you can maintain 60 SPM or higher. MOST (not all triathletes) are most efficient staying between 60-70 strokes per minute (like most cyclists between 85-95 cadence). There can be outliers, but that is the most efficient place for most. Even in that 10 count window you can see some pretty big differences in effort or pace.

Michael Collins - Nova Masters & Multisports OC Coach

=====================
Michael Collins
Multipsorts Orange County
http://www.multisportsoc.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forget that you have it again and buy another one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love using this thing but like everyone else said it's a piece of junk.

I was able to salvage mine recently. I noticed some small cracks by "sealed" screws and there was some moisture in the unit. It turned on but the display was all messed up and buttons weren't doing anything. I left it in a sunny window still to let it dry out and it worked again.
Quote Reply
Re: Finis tempo trainer does not work [swimmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

swimmc wrote:
Here are a few suggestions.

1. Make sure you are holding down the correct button. It' the right one on the bottom (for 3 seconds). Not the single button on the top of the unit which changes the mode.

2. Make sure you have the battery installed the right direction. I've put them in upside down and it didn't work.

3. Try ANOTHER battery. Even if you just bought it. I buy them in packs of 10 from Amazon to save money but sometimes I find even a new one is bad.

4. If it still doesn't work I would contact their service/support. They have been good with me at replacing faulty things. Unfortunately when you mix water and electronics it's pretty easy for things to go bad. Not sure if you ever got to use it a few years ago but if you did and it got some water in it, it may have corroded the electronics.

If you do getting working I suggest using top button to get it to Mode 3 (Strokes per minute) and see if you can maintain 60 SPM or higher. MOST (not all triathletes) are most efficient staying between 60-70 strokes per minute (like most cyclists between 85-95 cadence). There can be outliers, but that is the most efficient place for most. Even in that 10 count window you can see some pretty big differences in effort or pace.

Michael Collins - Nova Masters & Multisports OC Coach

Thanks for the tips regarding fixing the battery. I have never used it so it shouldn't be a water problem. The battery only seems to fit with the text facing away from me. If the text faces towards me it pops out. Could be my lack of dexterity that is the issue here, so I will try with some other batteries when I get home.

Regarding the SPM: this is mainly why I want to use a Finis TT. I had a friend counting my strokes for 10 sec (11) which would give 66 SPM. When I increased it to 13 for 10 sec (78 SPM), I consistently dropped a few sec on the 50s (SCM) without noticing any difference in effort. I think I have a hitch in the front of my stroke which gets less pronounced when I focus on maintaining a high turnover. Whenever I get tired my cadence seems to drop. Hopefully the tempo trainer can rectify that.

Jaret: that is definitely plan b!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s text side UP for it to work. It will wiggle around a bit til you get the cap screwed in

=====================
Michael Collins
Multipsorts Orange County
http://www.multisportsoc.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am the founder at FINIS, All of the Tempo Trainers will have a date code and we do guarantee the product for 2 years. In the original tempo trainer we sealed the battery into the unit and they lasted a very long time. But when the battery died, the unit needed to be replaced. The tempo trainer pro has a battery compartment and it can be replaced. Most units that are sent back have a bad battery and bad batteries are not uncommon, the unit comes with a battery that is A rated and their are all different qualities of batteries. Other common reasons for failure is the battery is upside down ( we should try to put a label inside the compartment to show which way to put in the battery ) and sometimes the battery compartment has not been properly closed and the unit fails from water damage. Anyways - we will stand behind the product, if it is less than 2 years old we will do our best to replace it. They sell on Amazon for about $40 so its not an expensive item but over the years the positive feedback for how people are using it to find their ideal stroke rate is something we are happy to hear. For the tri market we also hear of people using it to find their ideal running rate. Sorry that your unit failed, contact us if your unit is relatively new for a replacement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have finally given up on my third Tempo Trainer. My first one, I broke by cracking the case. It was well used but it's replacement I had lost the battery cover and they do not make replacement parts. I bought a third one but never used it much until I wanted to start using it again a few years later. Now it is stuck in MODE 3 with a 10 minute display. I contacted Finis and they initially said they would replace it until they realized it was out of warranty. Their mistake so to compensate me they are going to give me a discount on a new one that makes it more expensive than buying a new one. Sheesh!
Quote Reply
Re: Finis tempo trainer does not work [pmoores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Late to the party but mine got stuck to the mode 3 exactly as you mention and I saved it in the following way (replying mostly for those ending up here via Google like me):

1. Remove battery.
2. Short the two metal pins with a fork for a little bit, and wait 5 min to be sure the remaining energy is completely drained.
3. Reinstall battery.

This seems to have reset the software.

https://besse.info/
https://www.strava.com/athletes/2012033
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Finnish trainer too and doesn't connect to Zwift either
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found this helpful.