Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Finally crashed-broken collar bone update
Quote | Reply
It's been about 6 weeks since my surgery to have a plate put in to fix my broken collar bone. I'm happy to say that yesterday I did a triathlon consisting of a 1/2 mile swim, 18 bike and 4 mile run. I had been swimming at lunch in order to increase my range of motion and worked up to 1/2 mile without discomfort. It really helped my rehab. For the triathlon I even rode the bike I crashed on, in the aero position no less, and it didn't bother my shoulder at all. I was 5 minutes slower than last year, mainly from lack of running, but that's better than I thought I'd do.

Today my shoulder muscles are a little tighter than usual, but that's it. I'm very happy I was able to finish the season with a complete race under my belt and it was a definite boost to my confidence and outlook.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally crashed-broken collar bone update [trifan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Finally crashed-broken collar bone update [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha Ha. Nope. It's titanium just like my bikes and I'll not be "upgrading" to CF thank you very much. ; )

However, I'm disappointed I can't stick a refrigerator magnet to my shoulder. What's the use of a metal plate if you can't do that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm jealous. I'm 6 weeks post crash and I finally got 30 minutes in at the pool and
it hurt. Mostly shoulder pain. Expect it to get better fast (at least I hope).

-Jot
Quote Reply
Re: Finally crashed-broken collar bone update [gamebofh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I lost 9 weeks of swimming last March/ April. However I ended up with a new Olympic distance PR by 2 minutes in August and went under 20 minutes for the first time- go figure.
I never had a plate and mine was broken and tenting quite substantially, I could not of even imagined doing a tri at 6 weeks. Nice recovery!
S
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Ha Ha. Nope. It's titanium just like my bikes and I'll not be "upgrading" to CF thank you very much. ; )

However, I'm disappointed I can't stick a refrigerator magnet to my shoulder. What's the use of a metal plate if you can't do that?
Well, there is the minor advantage of not having your clavicle gruesomely ripped from your body (a-la Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom) if you ever have an MRI.

But yeah, being able to stick on little plastic fruit magnets, or better yet Magnetic Poetry, would be cool enough to pretty much make up for that.

-----
Over 4.5 years bike crash free.
Quote Reply
Re: Finally crashed-broken collar bone update [xraycharlie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm going to have to remember about the plate if I ever have another MRI. That Indiana Jones reference should make it easier. Thanks.

I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly range of motion returned once I started swimming. I still have a ways to go to get rid of tightness around my neck and shoulders but I'm very happy with results so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply