Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fenix 5 or 935
Quote | Reply
Assuming both are still available and for the current prices when bonuses/tax returns get in...

Which would you recommend? 935 for $419 new, or Fenix 5 refurb for $376? Since they’re almost the same exact watch I’m kinda leaning to the cheaper version.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't ever get a refurb. With the prices so close, I would be the opposite and get the brand new unit.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be a little nervous of the refurb, even if it comes with a warranty. Garmins are known to do some weird things
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I wouldn't go with refurb. I picked the 935 since it's lighter, no frills (looks) and does everything I want. Fenix series is overkill to me. It should just come down to looks though they both function the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love my 935 but I would strongly consider the F5Plus if buying now. I'd love to have music on my watch.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you plan to wear it as a daily watch I'd go with the Fenix 5 for durability reasons.

I have had a few instances on my 735xt just rough housing with my kids or doing yard work and bang my watch on something, luckily nothing beyond a minor scratch.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 935. All. Day. Long.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on your uses. For tri related activities and racing - 935.

But if you want to wear it as a daily watch or do other outdoor activities such as hiking, climbing, skiing etc. that you want mapping or activity tracking the Felix line is the way to go. Quick change watch bands, sapphire glass, and if wanted music on the plus line makes it is one quiver watch for you.

Or if you are a diver - step up another level to the descent mk1 which is a Felix 5X with full dive planning and computer built in. I have this and used it on a multi day dive trip a couple months ago. My guides were impressed with it particularly the compass functionality for underwater navigation.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
935, have had mine since it’s release and no issues. Excellent battery life but do yourself a favor, by a two pack of the glass screen protectors off amazon or the like to protect the original bezel.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [TAC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TAC wrote:
Depends on your uses. For tri related activities and racing - 935.

But if you want to wear it as a daily watch or do other outdoor activities such as hiking, climbing, skiing etc. that you want mapping or activity tracking the Felix line is the way to go. Quick change watch bands, sapphire glass, and if wanted music on the plus line makes it is one quiver watch for you.

Or if you are a diver - step up another level to the descent mk1 which is a Felix 5X with full dive planning and computer built in. I have this and used it on a multi day dive trip a couple months ago. My guides were impressed with it particularly the compass functionality for underwater navigation.

This all the way, daily wear the Fenix is the way to go, especially with the sapphire glass. I'd also spring for it new vs refurb, I have not had good luck with the refurb watches.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had both and would go with the 935 no question. Lighter, smaller, more accurate GPS (my experience), all the same features. Slap a tempered glass screen protector on there and you can't even tell it's there. If it gets scratched you just pull it off and put another one on. They are like four bucks.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have only used the 935 but am extremely happy with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
If you plan to wear it as a daily watch I'd go with the Fenix 5 for durability reasons.

I have had a few instances on my 735xt just rough housing with my kids or doing yard work and bang my watch on something, luckily nothing beyond a minor scratch.

That is an easy solution. Amazon has super cheap screen protectors. $8 for 4!
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Out of curiosity how often does everyone charge their watches? I’ve been using a VAHR and my biggest gripe is the battery life. Any decent workout outdoors and I’m running low.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I charge my 735 every 10 days to 2 weeks. I use it for about 7-8 hours/week of workout (about 5-6 with GPS). I do not wear it otherwise, but I also do not turn it off between workouts. The battery on the 735 is fantastic, and the Fenix 5 & 935 are supposedly even better.

Back to your original question... between those two, I would choose the 935. But that is solely driven by the aesthetics and their optimized intended use cases. I would not use it as an everyday watch (I have an Apple Watch for that), so I prefer the lighter weight and slightly smaller size of the 935.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went with the 935 because it was lighter and I thought it looked better. At the time I bought it the fenix was having issues with their bluetooth and 935 had wifi so that was a consideration too.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I upgraded from the Fenix 5 to Fenix 5X Plus to get music and mapping, and I couldn’t be happier. Both are awesome features and as a daily wear it’s great too.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want GPS accuracy, 935 is the way to go. The following is some strava data mining from hundreds of devices in NY and Valencia marathons this year:

NY: https://twitter.com/.../1081126122400698368
Valencia: https://twitter.com/.../1080428508143411200

As you can see, results look consistent, and this means you should stay away from phone apps, Suunto watches and the whole Fenix family :-)

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SrSalitre wrote:
If you want GPS accuracy, 935 is the way to go. The following is some strava data mining from hundreds of devices in NY and Valencia marathons this year:

NY: https://twitter.com/.../1081126122400698368
Valencia: https://twitter.com/.../1080428508143411200

As you can see, results look consistent, and this means you should stay away from phone apps, Suunto watches and the whole Fenix family :-)

I have the 935 and love it but what you say is contradictory to this data which saw zero difference when he tested the Fenix and 935 head-to-head. Also shows that Suunto is more accurate:
http://fellrnr.com/wiki/GPS_Accuracy

Not sure what to believe anymore!
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Not sure what to believe anymore!
Don’t believe the fellrnr conclusions. That protocol is garbage.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can buy a Fenix 5 with sapphire glass for $450 from Garmin on Amazon. They are new and not refurbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been looking at these watches. From what I have found the pluses for the 935 are it's lighter weight and possibly better gps accuracy from having a plastic body. While the fenix has better styling for use as an everyday watch and possibly more robust metal case, at a possible cost of less GPS accuracy.

I like the idea of music and mapping in the plus series fenix's. However the lighter wieght particularly for swimming and running appeal in the 935.

Still not made my mind up though as I have currently not been racing multisport events just bikes the Fenix plus appeals for use of maps on a couple of walking holidays we have a year and for its alround appeal. However I have started to try and run a bit more so if I can over come the injury issues the curtailed my tri/Duathlon racing then the 935 may become a better racing and training tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're basically the same watch, except that the 935 has a plastic case vs. the metal one in some of the Fenix models. That said, the firmware has been less glitchy with the 935 than with the Fenix 5, so if you're pairing accessories (especially power meters), it's probably your best bet. I have been super happy with my 935, and have a friend who is similarly happy with her fenix 5 (although she doesn't pair a PM with hers, whereas I do). That being said, while I know folks who have had great luck with Garmin Refurbs, you're always better off with a new watch and a fresh battery. In terms of charging, it depends on how much I use it, but with the 935, I can usually go 7-10 days with moderate training (and that's doing things like broadcasting the HR from the watch for Zwifting), maybe a bit less with heavy training or racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
BigBoyND wrote:
Not sure what to believe anymore!

Don’t believe the fellrnr conclusions. That protocol is garbage.

But even the data in your link show the 935 to be less accurate than Polar:


Quote Reply
Re: Fenix 5 or 935 [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
littlefoot wrote:
AndysStrongAle wrote:
If you plan to wear it as a daily watch I'd go with the Fenix 5 for durability reasons.

I have had a few instances on my 735xt just rough housing with my kids or doing yard work and bang my watch on something, luckily nothing beyond a minor scratch.


That is an easy solution. Amazon has super cheap screen protectors. $8 for 4!

Yep, I have one on there, I'm not thinking about scratches but rather cracks or internal hardware damage. The nice part is the screen protector did actually make the minor scratch invisible.
Quote Reply

Prev Next