Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Felt Bayonet 3 fork adjustment
Quote | Reply
Hi Slowtwitchers,
Just wanted to share a little maintenance I did on my ride.
I have a Felt DA4 and, on my last ride, I noticed a little play in my Bayonet 3 fork. When I git home, I disassembled it....it was pretty dirty and started to show a little sight of rust on the bearings. At first I thought it was the bearings, but after further inspection, decided it just needed to be cleaned lubed and adjusted. There is a very small window for the tightening of the steerer nut. Too loose and there is play in the fork.....too tight and it binds. I got it just right and then tightened the steerer locking screw. I know this bike is kind of outdated, but it still works for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt Bayonet 3 fork adjustment [MarkH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a pinch bolt on the side of the stem that needs to be loosened, you've probably already seen it.

Put a Hex wrench through the top to adjust the preload on the bearings then tighten the pinch bolt again.

From what you describe the headset bearings sound like they are worn out and need to be replaced. It's a symptom of all headset bearings.

I've bought them before, not really easy to find. I think I got me directly from Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: Felt Bayonet 3 fork adjustment [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Felt Bayonet 3 fork adjustment [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems to be working good now. Thanks for the reference on the bearings. Good to know when I finally do need them.
Quote Reply