Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Feedback on new suspension seatpost
Quote | Reply
My partner and I have developed a new suspension seatpost that addresses most of the current limitations of units on the market. We have received phenomenal feedback from anyone who's ridden it. Local cyclocross riders, roadies, mtn bikers, reviewers, doctors, chiropractors...and the like. I'm curious on any feedback you might have, and in particular, any ideas on how to design a test with power to evaluate it's use for cyclocross, triathlon and other applications. Units are not for sale yet but we are actively testing, riding and giving these things all the punishment possible. http://www.cirrusbodyfloat.com. looking forward to some critical and useful feedback... Slowtwitch comes highly recommended. Please contact us via the site if you are interested to learn more.
Quote Reply
Re: Feedback on new suspension seatpost [CpH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What makes this better than Canecreek's Thudbuster?

Weight? Way it functions? Improvements over said Thudbuster?

But... this is Slowtwitch. If it's not aero or a weight weenie...

As for me, I'd like to find out more (thudbuster user here)...
Quote Reply
Re: Feedback on new suspension seatpost [Alfalfameister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cirrus was at the local cross race two weeks ago and I gave it a try. I had never thought to use one on a cross bike and now I'm rethinking. I think they are definitely faster over many cyclocross courses with really no drawback. I was told production ones will be under 400 grams. The one I had looked a bit clunky but was pretty light.

Main differences I saw vs the Thudbuster:
1) vertical travel path
2) Almost no dampening.

The designers were big on no stiction and no dampening. I have to agree now. In this application, I think you really want a very "fast" action and any dampening is handled by the pedaling motion of your own two legs. I haven't tried the Thudbuster in quite a few years though.

I'd love to do some testing myself if anyone has any good ideas.

Quake
Quote Reply
Re: Feedback on new suspension seatpost [Quake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dampening=Making things wet

Damping=The word you were looking for

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Quote Reply
Re: Feedback on new suspension seatpost [Quake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in addition to the grammar correction, a lack of damping in a suspension system is a bad thing. Especially a seatpost suspension--it will lead to you bouncing up and down.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
can't really just from looking at pictures, kinda look like a softride stem back in the days
Quote Reply
Re: Feedback on new suspension seatpost [thierry64] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would like to let the feedback roll in before answering many questions. I'm salivating to answer what I've seen so far. Think outside the box here and rethink why you want suspension on a bike and what it is suppose to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   I've ridden the thudbuster, some of the cheaper telescoping models, and the one I raced on quite a bit, many years ago, the USE elastomer post. The USE was the only one that worked decently and was light enough to me. This design does remind me of a reversed Allsop stem, albeit with a shorter mech, maybe 1 - 1.25" of travel? At any rate, I'd definitely give one a try for CX, especially as someone who rides clinchers, and uses high pressures to prevent pinching. Success probably depends on price point, and reviews over the first year of roll-out...or you can just get Treborn or Wells to run it for a few races and you're golden. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, just don't see the need for it. Maybe if I was riding Paris Roubaix but I ride on pavement with a carbon frame that absorbs some of the road shock from rough roads - it was designed to do that.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some problems with marketing this to triathletes:

1. Folks who buy high end aftermarket equipment have frames with dedicated aero seatposts.

2. Low perceived need for suspension (smooth roads).

3. Current design creates significant saddle setback, while many triathletes ride "steep."

Note: I ride a Titanflex beam bike that has stiction-free, undamped suspension.....but do so for the aerodynamics.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Feedback on new suspension seatpost [jpb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the grammar snafu. And I have an English degree!

The lack of damping was my first thought too and I had a lengthy discussion with one of the designers about it. I couldn't imagine a full suspension MTB or front fork with no damping.

But after riding it, I have to say there must be something distinct going on with the pedaling motion that effectively "damps" the suspension action. It didn't feel "bouncy" at all. Perhaps Cph will respond.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CpH wrote:
Would like to let the feedback roll in before answering many questions.

Looks like an interesting idea, but it is really hard to give you any useful or intelligent feedback without knowing a lot more about the product, how it works, how its different, and what the advantages are compared to the many other seatpost-based suspension products out there.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Feedback on new suspension seatpost [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

1. Folks who buy high end aftermarket equipment have frames with dedicated aero seatposts.

2. Low perceived need for suspension (smooth roads).

3. Current design creates significant saddle setback, while many triathletes ride "steep."

Addressing these:
1. we are working on a mount that will fit the myriad of frames/seatposts out there.
2. we are actually trying to not compete with the 'suspension' market and are focused on creating a system that literally floats you over the road/bike by eliminating all road vibrations (imagine chip seal disappearing). Floating the rider in a very small 'sweet spot', that the rider can adjust, within the overall travel of the unit.
3. set back is 0, 10 or 20...or custom.
Quote Reply
Re: Feedback on new suspension seatpost [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
CpH wrote:
Would like to let the feedback roll in before answering many questions.

Looks like an interesting idea, but it is really hard to give you any useful or intelligent feedback without knowing a lot more about the product, how it works, how its different, and what the advantages are compared to the many other seatpost-based suspension products out there.

This could be a long answer so gonna take short stabs:

My partner and I have different approaches so you'll see my background here as a Cat 2 roadie, a pro xc mtn biker, long distance touring rider and commuter/messenger. This is not cut/paste off the website.

How it works:
Body Float uses a patent pending design to literally float the rider over the bike, eliminating all high frequency vibrations and most road or trail surface bumps. Big bumps are big bumps and this unit is not a suspension system to handle those...you treat them as you would on any hard-tail bike and unweight the saddle. Unit on website has 1.5 inches of travel that is preloaded to less than1 inch of active travel. The bottom end of the range is progressively damped to avoid a hard bottom-out, but within the 'sweet spot' there is no damping, your legs do that.

By floating the rider you do several things:
1- by maintaining contact with the saddle you will allow more consistent output over rough (chip seal, gravel, single track, grass, etc) terrain that will minimize your bodies need to protect the cells (ie: muscles) that are normally jiggling around in there...wasting precious energy. This is a huge energy sap on the body over time. Road riders, Triathletes and long distance riders will benefit greatly from this.

2- by staying in the saddle you will increase your ability to maintain traction, have better cornering and increase overall comfort. A carbon road bike will still feel like a carbon road bike and you actually become more intimate with the road and what you're riding on. Bike handling increase dramatically on the Body Float on anything at all technical.

3. Pedaling efficiency: by allowing a slight vertical movement (not bouncing) you may be able to increase your pedal cadence efficiency by a significant percentage. A rider who normally spins out at 130rpm may now be able to reach closer to 150rpm. As mentioned before, those riders that have learned to ride a Softride learn how to pedal in circles or they bounce off the bike. The Body Float is, by design, created to allow some vertical movement but it is totally adjustable by the rider for both weight and riding style. You swap springs to meet your weight then adjust the pre-load to fine-tune your 'sweet spot' to as small, or large as you want. I like riding with travel of .5 - .75 inches. Others like more, others less. The overall travel of the units will vary depending on model but are all between 1.3 inches for the short unit and 2.7 inches for the long unit.

4. Weight. This unit in proto-type phase is near 450 grams. The patent pending design allows us to go lighter, with a lower spring rate to accommodate more riders, abilities and applications. Our final models are targeted to be well under 400 grams. As all riders have stated after riding it...'the energy savings, performance and comfort is worth whatever minor weight penalty it has'.

5. Looks. Body Floats will be anodized in numerous colors and sculpted to look sleek, fast and light. We've been around the block with this and want to create something that not only challenges the rider/suspension paradigm but also looks cool, works well and makes you a better rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2. .................Imagine my feet and hands/arms wil not agree about not feeling chipseal
Quote Reply