Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Feedback needed
Quote | Reply
I was signed up for a triathlon, Auburn International 1/2 ironman. I traveled from Texas to California and spent over $1000 for travel/lodging/bike transport etc. When I got there, I stay appx 150 miles away. The day before the race, the triathlon was cancelled because of mud slides. The race promoter decided to offer a run - bike - run. I was not about to drive another 150 miles, plus spend more $ on travel or pay $220 for a run-bike-run. I ask the promoter for a refund. What are your thoughts....should I get a refund because this clearly was not a triathlon as advertised or should I not be refunded because a run-bike-run is the same as a triathlon and it was an act of nature. If I promoted this I would have found another body of water, even a pool. But as an avid Triathlete, a run-bike-run is a great workout but no way do I travel across the country to do one or pay $220 for one. refund or not????
Quote Reply
Re: Feedback needed [extreme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shit happens. The promoter has no control over mud slides, and by the day of the race, he's got a bunch of sunk costs into the race. There's no way he can afford to give refunds. There wouldn't be any races to do if they were expected to refund everybody's money in the event of stuff out of their control like mud slides or other hazardous conditions that cancel the swim.

Spot

Quote | Reply
I would have sucked it up and done the du. Act of nature, nothing the RD can do, no reason why he should give you a refund, he's offered you a close-enough-equivalent event. Sure he could have tried to find a pool, but could you imagine the logistical nightmare? If you've never done a tri with a pool swim, you have no idea. There's a reason why there are very few OLY or longer distance races with a pool swim.

As an aside: who stays 150mi from the race? That's crazy...

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No refund. The RD has it written somewhere probably no refunds. Can't help in mom nature crashes the party. You should have done the du.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had it happen twice and just bit the bullet and ran even though my advantage was in the swim. I agree in this case it certanly was unfortunate considering the distance you travelled but totally unpredictable as we rarely get that kind of weather in May. The race director made the decision to protect the athletes safety, he spent your money trying to put on the best race possible for the athletes. You should have done the race and made the best of it. You must have stayed in San Francisco which was poor planning to start with considering how early you would have had to get up to make the race start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Refund? I would be embarassed to ask...
Quote Reply