Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Favorite running apparel?
Quote | Reply
Who makes your favorite running apparel and why?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite running apparel? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Roka shorts are hands down the best I have ever worn. There are others too that I like, alot...e.g. DeSoto. Roka is very expensive but probably worth it. Reasons = all of the above - fit, materials, weight, phone pocket, etc.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tracksmith Running because they make the best looking running clothes out there.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite running apparel? [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've seen their website. It looks a lot like Rapha stuff because the co-founder of Rapha, Luke Scheybeler, helped them design it.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 19, 18 11:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nike shorts and winter tights, because they have lasted me 10 years.

Balega socks.

Any performance material tops that I receive from entering races, because they end up smelling terrible after a year and become bike grease rags.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shorts: Originally Nike 5" (no pocket) shorts but those are long discontinued... but the Brooks Sherpa 5" are identical and amazing!

Tops: Honestly, 2xU Ghst singlet is pretty amazing fit/feel and lasts forever. I also just bought the Lululemon Metal "something" singlet and really like that too.

Socks: Swiftwick... but I'm still waiting on the perfect sock. I want a 6" cuff and Swiftwick's is ugly.

But seriously... the best running stuff I own is the Apple Watch and Airpods. Stick the watch in my back pocket (straps removed) and go. I never notice it and I still get to use my Garmin. Life changing. **And no, I don't want the Garmin 645 because it does not work with Airpods and (as of today) still doesn't work with any 3rd Party music apps.
Last edited by: BrentwoodTriGuy: Mar 19, 18 11:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My favorite shorts are the Zoot PCH 3". Perfect length without being too short, not baggy, reasonably priced, and the waistband and liner are the most comfortable of any I own.

For shirts mostly New Balance - they fit me well, the quality is good and the prices are reasonable. I have a few Nike singlets that I really like as well.

I also dig the Tracksmith stuff but it's crazy expensive.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite running apparel? [Dgconner154] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is appealing about Tracksmith? It seems to be very basic designs and old school retro feel just like Rapha

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
What is appealing about Tracksmith? It seems to be very basic designs and old school retro feel just like Rapha

That's what is appealing about it. It's a change from all the neon colors, graphics, etc. Sort of a retro look with (I assume) modern functionality.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To be honest, I find that the more expensive the apparel, the better quality and more comfortable it is... Shocker right!?!?

For both tops and shorts, the two brands that I like the most are De Soto and Patagonia.

Shorts: The De Soto Tuesday Run shorts are amazingly light and great for really hot weather. The Patagonia Strider Pro shorts are super comfy and feel like they have some more weight to them, but in a good way.

Tops: Really like the Patagonia Capilene T-Shirt for a loose, airy, wicking shirt, but my go-to top is the De Soto Long Sleeve Skin Cooler top!! I love having to put on less sunscreen in the summer and the material/fit is just amazing. If you haven't tried one on, you are missing out.

Socks: I ran last year in Vibrams with no socks... Before that I had a few pairs of socks from Newton Running and did not have any complaints.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Champion C9 stuff at Target. Cheap, stylish, and doesn't scream, "I like to exercise!"

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite running apparel? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gmh39 wrote:
I like the Champion C9 stuff at Target. Cheap, stylish, and doesn't scream, "I like to exercise!"

x2 when companies started racking their prices up to $40 for a pair of shorts I turned to Target C9 stuff. Quality isn't as good as the name brands but its very much good enough.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite running apparel? [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Roka shorts are hands down the best I have ever worn. There are others too that I like, alot...e.g. DeSoto. Roka is very expensive but probably worth it. Reasons = all of the above - fit, materials, weight, phone pocket, etc.

Been a serious runner for 36 years. The North Face Better Than Naked shorts are far superior IMO than Roka or any other shorts. Fit, comfort, material, weight, drying ability, waistband and pocket are top notch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take a look at Tracksmiths Instagram, itll give you a much better idea of their designs and the collaborations they have done. Their website is looking kind of limited right now.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite running apparel? [Skyline Chili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skyline Chili wrote:
Been a serious runner for 36 years. The North Face Better Than Naked shorts are far superior IMO than Roka or any other shorts. Fit, comfort, material, weight, drying ability, waistband and pocket are top notch.

Have you (or anyone) run in the Better than Naked singlet? Thoughts/opinion?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've tried most of the main stream and high end brands to varying success. The one brand/pair I keep returning to (and I think the only thing currently in rotation) are some cheap house brand (BCG - I think) from Academy. They're like $15 and last forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite running apparel? [chuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been following them for months and almost ordered some stuff but hesitated and backed off. I love my Roka gear though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Who makes your favorite running apparel and why?

DeSoto Tri shorts with DeSoto running shorts over that. And the DeSoto Skin Cooler tops.

I prefer the tri clothing for anything active. I like how it keeps everything in place and I have yet to find running shorts that don't chafe the you know what out of my groinal area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

This is the first I heard of Tracksmith but first impressions are good. The old school,, simple design is very appealing.
Having said that pricepoint is a big thing for me. I like the Rapha stuff but i don't buy it even though I can afford it.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite running apparel? [TriSolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rapha and Tracksmith are just basic to me. I get the retro look but I'd rather have function and cool patterns over basic single color designs. I've tried for months to become a Rapha fan but I just can't get past the "Pantone color of the year" choices. The same goes for Tracksmith. Maybe my perceptions will change. My Castelli winter gear is awesome and I highly doubt Rapha is better.

Last edited by: BryanD: Mar 19, 18 12:59
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite running apparel? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Skyline Chili wrote:

Have you (or anyone) run in the Better than Naked singlet? Thoughts/opinion?

I haven’t only because here in Florida there’s only about 2-3 days a year where a singlet is required. Every other day is a shirtless sweat fest. However I wouldn’t hesitate to pick one up if the quality equaled the shorts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ideal running gear, for me, does the following simple things: not chafe, not retain smell, hold an iPhone, not look ridiculous.

I've tried a lot of gear.

I prefer the Roka running shorts. I cut out the liner (in all running shorts) and wear Uniqlo Airism underwear underneath. Second prize is Brooks Sherpa. I like DeSoto shorts if I'm going to run and then swim, which I sometimes do if I run to the beach (Santa Monica) with my son. I've tried the Tracksmith and they're visually/nostalgically appealing, but not quite as comfortable as more technical shorts.

As for tops, I actually prefer Lululemon. They're super soft and they fit a bit more loosely, so they work if you want/need to wear them for a bit after you run (say you run to the farmer's market, for example). And they are the best at not retaining stink. I can - embarrassingly - wear one at the gym (TM, etc.) all week without washing and it just will not stink.

Socks: I like Swiftwick OK, but I really like the Wattie Ink socks, primarily because they are thin and comfortable and because the logo is high enough that it is hidden by dress pants.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know of a good 3-7" running short with a boxer brief lining? I have a few pairs of Brooks and Zoot but sadly can't seem to find them anywhere. Nowadays all shorts seem to be standard lining (ie chafe city after a bit) or full on compression fit.

---------------------------------------------
Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding it hurts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for desoto skin cooler shirt. Amazingly comfortable.

For socks, injinji toe socks revolutionized my running. I used to get nasty and painful blisters between toes and that problem has disappeared. Only problem with them is how embarrassing it is to take one’s shoes off in public while wearing them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever is on sale at running warehouse. Not super picky but the nike shorts I have are great.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next