Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Favorite quotes?
Quote | Reply
I'm a big fan of famous quotations, good public speakers, and those who just manage to say exactly the right thing at the right time.

I don't really have one favorite, but I'll get the ball rolling with:

"I have not failed 1000 times, I have successfully found 1000 ways that will not work". - Thomas Edison
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite quotes? [lakercr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"fuck you larry" clm 2005
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost" Tolkien...
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite quotes? [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]"fuck you larry" clm 2005[/reply]

That would have been my second choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez, there are a ton of quotes I like. Here are a couple:

The Thing about common sense is that it is not very common.
-Voltaire

What a grand thing, to be loved!
What a grander thing still, to love!
- Victor Hugo
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite quotes? [Mr Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I liked that one too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A slowtwitch quote seen frequently:

"I think it's the simplicity of it all that get's people confused." Fleck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, it's not triathlon related, but my favourite quote of all time is

"Now I am become death, the destroyer of worlds."

J. Robert Oppenheimer said it as they were testing the very first atomic bomb. It is a quote from the Bhagavad Gita (sorry, but the exact faith escapes me right now. Hindu I think?). Every time I hear that or think of it, I get chills up my spine. Perhaps I should not say that it is my favourite quote, since it regards something so terrible. But for me it is the most meaningful quote.

-Colin

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" Beauty is Truth,truth beauty..that is all we know on earth and all we need to know".

John Keats from Ode on a Grecian Urn

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite quotes? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is from a Hindu text. As someone who has seen "The Hunt for Red October" roughly twenty times it plays a prominent role in the very clever switch from Russian to English.

Damn I love that movie.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite quotes? [Kestrelkerri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"fuck you larry" clm 2005

"Fuck you, Donny"

Walter Sobchak - The Big Lebowski, 1998
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread is boring. Get a book of quotes, sit in the toilet and read.

Don't forget to wash your hand(s) before you come back.

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"jesus, i can't even begin to tell you the contempt i have for people like you."

Dan Empfield, aka Slowman, 2005

Where would you want to swim ?
Last edited by: Greg/ORD: Jun 14, 05 13:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two word for you: "shut the fuck-up" Robert DeNiro - Midnight Run
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite quotes? [Spiderman05] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have two words for you - listen to Robert

---------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My mom has got a book full of quotes for every subject. I think that kinds of cheapens them, but at the same time, shows how many wonderful things people have said. Here's some of mine.

Knocked down eight times, stand up nine. -- Japenese proverb

Pain is weakness leaving the body -- navy Seals

Nobody ever drowned in sweat -- navy seals

"Throw Strikes. Changes Speeds. Work Fast" -- Ray Miller, PItching coach

"Getting a fastball by hank Aaron is like getting the sun past the rooster" -- A pitcher whose name escapes me.

When I was 14, my dad didn't know anything. By the time I was 21, I was amazed at how much he learned in seven years. -- Mark Twain [not verbatim]

Everyone wants to win, nobody wants to prepare to win -- lots of folks, I read it from Bobby Knight.

I coiuld fill this whole thread up with quotes. I won't. There are voumes of websites listed them.

Almost every line from Bull Durhman is usable.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marcus, Babylon 5:
"I used to think it was awful that life was so unfair. Then I thought, wouldn't it be much worse if life were fair, and all the terrible things that happen to us come because we actually deserve them? So, now I take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor. -- Vince Lombardi

The spirit, the will to win, and the will to excel are the things that endure. These qualities are so much more important than the events that occur. --Vince Lombardi

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will. --Vince Lombardi

If you'll not settle for anything less than your best, you will be
amazed at what you can accomplish in your lives."
-Vince Lombardi

It's easy to have faith in yourself and have discipline when you're a winner, when you're number one. What you've got to have is faith and discipline when you're not yet a winner."

Never let the odds keep you from pursuing what you know in your heart you were meant to do." --Satchel Paige
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite quotes? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying. That's Goddamm Right"
- Red (Morgan Freeman) The Shawshank Redemption

Here's a long mother quote from Teddy Roosevelt (It's on my office wall. Hell, I think every schoolkid should memorize it):

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.

-------------------------------------------------
http://www.teamorganicnyc.com
Sponsored by: TBA
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite quotes? [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my dad and i are big quotes guys, and he always had this on his office wall when i was growing up. i love it:

when you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many threads on this topics. Make a little search on this forum and enjoy.

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
along the same lines:

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted"

-Albert Einstein

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Nothing splendid has ever been achieved except by those who dared believe that something inside them was superior to circumstance."
Bruce Barton

"If we are to do great things we must live as if we are never going to die."
Guy next to me in the med tent-Wildflower '99.

Gary Mc

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some of my favorites:

"Grey areas are merely windows of opportunity"

"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept, fore there were no more worlds to conquer."

"Go Hard, or Go Home"

"Why, why, Mr. Anderson do you persist?" - "Because I choose to."

"Never have so many owed so much to so few."

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist..."

I like so many hundreds more, but I will let the others share.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite quotes? [Gary Mc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Sure I am this day we are masters of our fate, that the task which has been set before us is not above our strength; that its pangs and toils are not beyond our endurance.

As long as we have faith in our own cause and an unconquerable will to win, victory will not be denied us."
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite quotes? [njmtbbg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Roosevelt quote is awesome. I had written that whole thing on the underside of one of my baseball caps once.

I have no idea why anyone in this country (or the world) gives one rat's ass what any critic thinks. I don't know why they are on TV, why they write in newspaper, author books, etc. Why do we care what someone thinks who has not done what they are writing about? It's like taking financial advice from a homeless guy or strength training advice from the weakling. Perhaps they may get lucky and say something accurate. But, there is someone that is speaking from experience saying similar things.

I could go on and on about this since it is something I truly hate. In another thread i said that I could not care less what a critic thinks and wrote about it to some length. Someone pointed out the fallacy of my position, "not caring, yet saying much about it". I don't care what the critic says, but it bothers me that they feel the need to say ANYTHING.

Critics never offer anything positive or propose any workable solutions. They point, laugh and say what the adventurer should have done, while the adventurer is picking himself up out of the dirt.

Anyone can do that.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Jun 14, 05 14:06
Quote Reply

Prev Next