Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Favorite beetroot juice? [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello beston and All,

I see what you mean:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/...m_term=.ae82cc5c106b

"But what if Diaw, the Jazz and the countless other athletes who regularly consume caffeine had to give up it up? According to Russian Federal Microbiological Agency chief Vladimir Uiba, that could be coming.

“Caffeine,” he told Russian news agency TASS last week, “is currently on WADA’s waiting list of prohibited substances. If it eventually makes its way into the list of the prohibited substances, we will be forced to recommend everyone against drinking coffee as well as soft drinks containing caffeine.”

“Theoretically, it can happen this year,” Uiba added."

beston wrote:
You should look into the effects of caffein!

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite beetroot juice? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Regular beet-it for me.

It's easy as it's the only type readily available off the shelf (Tesco) over here (UK) and also using the online shopping option.

I just give up on the daily glass of orange juice and switched to beet.

Tastes ok, but it does vary in its 'earthy' taste which is interesting based on the comment above about that potentially being linked to nitrate content.

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if we need at least 3 beets to benefit, is there any data on beet powder? I don't mind the juice, but powder would be more convenient for me.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite beetroot juice? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No data on beet powders, at least of which I am aware. However, given the variability in the nitrate content of whole beets and hence in beet juice (up to 2x range in similar products is what we have found so far), you would expect beet powders to also vary widely.

IOW, caveat emptor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody with any additional suggestions? Maybe BRJ isn't as popular amongst the crowd here as I would have expected? (Or maybe there is still room in the marketplace for additional brands?)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm very happy with Beet Elite - the flavor and convenience work well for me pre-race. I'm hoping Biotta ranks poorly because that stuff is vile.

This was actually my go-to undergrad research paper topic, so I'm also surprised it doesn't seem to have more traction.

http://www.extramilenutrition.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very un scientific statement here but is my own observations. Beets ( fresh whole or juiced) and "some" beet products work for me. I find the only ones that work also turn my urine red/pinkish color. The ones I notice no real effect do not change my urine color at all. I have used beet performer and seems to help. The best is fresh juiced beets but its pretty gamey depending on the beets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was tested by USADA at masters cycling nats in June. The USADA official held up my red urine specimen and without hesitation said, “Beet juice.” So I think at least in cycling it’s use is fairly wide spread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Hi all,

I have a student that I have tasked with measuring the nitrate (and nitrite) content of a number of beetroot juice products (ideally a dozen or more). We're specifically looking for ones that are 1) marketed to athletes/as enhancing athletic performance, and 2) do not contain other ingredients (e.g., arginine) aimed at increasing nitric oxide production. Here is what we have acquired so far:

Beet It! (regular juice)
Beet It! Sport ("platinum" concentrate)
Red Rush
Red Ace
Beet-Power
Beet Elite
Beet Performer
Knudson organic beet juice
Biotta organic beet juice

I would appreciate any additional suggestions, especially if you can tell me how to lay my hands on the product.

Thanks!

P.S. If anybody wants to buy the leftovers, I have a fair bit of stuff to unload.
My current routine is 2 x Beet It! Sport shots 2 hours before race time. I've looked into other options but you have covered all of the other choices that I am aware of.
Curious, is the nitrite in beets the same as the nitrite in red wine?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite beetroot juice? [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't someone point out the dangerous side effects of overconsumption?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lakewood Organic Juice from the health food store or Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<Bump>

Up to 19 different products now, but still seeking one more to make an even 20. Looking in particular for another single serving, non-concentrated beet juice drink to test. Have already tested Beet Performer (two flavors), Beet-Power, and Beet Fizz. Any suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite beetroot juice? [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
Lakewood Organic Juice from the health food store or Amazon

Check.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andy, perhaps I've overlooked it but I've looked over Beet Elite's web site and can't find the amount of nitrate in the product. How many mgs are in a serving/shot of these types of products?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite beetroot juice? [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't believe that they state a specific amount, but we have found those to be generally unreliable anyway, sometimes wildly so.

In any case, email me and I can provide a bit more detail.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Dec 18, 17 4:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect this might fall outside of your inclusion criteria, but I've always wondered about the efficacy of dietary nitrate intake in solid forms of nutrition, such as the Beet-It Sport flapjack bars.

I'm aware of the whole nitrate-oral bacteria interaction, so I'd guess that the ergogenic effects of a given dose of nitrate would be lower in a solid vs liquid form and likely a higher degree of variability too. Is this something that you guys have studied?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite beetroot juice? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have not, as I am far more interested in mechanisms (if I had had my way, we would have skipped the beet juice and gone straight to nitrate salt in a gelatin capsule).

That said, this recent paper from Jones's lab would seem to directly address your question:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/29223585/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the nitrate capsules available to consumers? Without a script?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's very interesting, many thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite beetroot juice? [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:
Are the nitrate capsules available to consumers? Without a script?

Not to my knowledge. The closest you might come would be this product from Shaklee:

https://www.shaklee.com/...t-_p_blood-pressurep

Based on the ingredient list, each tablet could contain as much as ~6 mmol of nitrate. However, I measured some one time, and did not find nearly that much (but am also not sure that I trust the data, as I had a hard time getting the tablet to fully dissolve).

A company called Theravasc has been developing time-released sodium nitrIte capsules, but I don't know whether they are on the market yet.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Dec 18, 17 7:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unbeetable by Beverage Options LLC.

I know the researcher in the physics department at Wake Forest who has been researching beet root juice for a while know. I use to give them blood for the research and they would give me some free beet juice when I was done. I never used it for sport but would chug it and go do work coding and doing simulations.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite beetroot juice? [honestly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, but that's what I meant by 'Beet Fizz' (sold out of Florida now).

https://unbeetable.com
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Dec 19, 17 3:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
<Bump>

Up to 19 different products now, but still seeking one more to make an even 20. Looking in particular for another single serving, non-concentrated beet juice drink to test. Have already tested Beet Performer (two flavors), Beet-Power, and Beet Fizz. Any suggestions?

Nu-Therapy Power Beets?

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite beetroot juice? [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestion.

We have generally been steering away from beet powders sold in bulk, though, as there are a zillion of them on the market and the dose is a bit hard to define.

(I did make an exception recently for PureClean Performance, since it is marketed directly at athletes and they recommend a specific amount and time to ingest it.)

Any other single serving drinks out there? I tried to lay my hands on some Beetology, but the local health food store that is listed as a retailer did not have any in stock.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Dec 19, 17 6:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
<Bump>

Last call! Need some time to order and test any additional product(s) before presenting the data at ACSM in late May/early June.
Quote Reply

Prev Next