Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Favorite Tires?
Quote | Reply
Vittoria owns the OEM market now with their sensational new Rubino tires. It used to all Michelin and Continental.

What do you guys like? I have Vittoria Rubinos and Continental TPS Attack/Force- which are my personal favorites.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tires? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michelin carbon clinchers (used to be axial pro)...they have really long life...a little heavier, but worth it easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 I have had a pair of Conti grand prix's on my training wheels for 6 years. (Two of that there was no riding while I was in Uruguay) For 6 years I never replaced a flat in them. About 2 months ago I finally got a flat. I hung the tube up on the wall. I was going to patch it and put it back in, but the hole was right on the presta valve. The other tire and tube are still going strong. I will always buy conti's!!
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tires? [ezrahallam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Contis rule.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vittoria open corsa(sp?) for races.

Anything cheap for training...

-----------------------------------------------------
The true Master does not wish to lead,
Nor does he wish to follow.
He only wishes to place himself
Where he is needed most.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tufo clenchers - bomb proof!

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Continental makes great tires, as does Tufo.

I believe the others are a bit befhind. Vittoria has some good tires, but a few fall short. But if you buy top of the line, all the above work well.

I ride Continentals for racing and training. I have SpinSkins ( www.spinskins.com) on my training tires and haven't had a flat in over a year. That's right. Last flat I had was pre spinskins.

Happy Holidays,

http://www.Felipe-Bastos.com
--------------------------------------------
Blog: felipebastos.blogspot.com
Facebook: facebook.com/felipebastos
Twitter: @felipebastos1
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Conti's are great. Right now I'm running Grand Prix 4 Season. All of my wheels are shod with Contis of one sort or another. My wife has Michelins on her bike, which I wasn't impressed with ... they'll be replaced in the Spring with Contis.

Cost no object ... I'd have Dugast tubies on my ADAs! ;)

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's another vote for the Conti Attack/Force, but they are damn hard to change without the help of some soapy water.

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Contis rule.
I would second that as a consumer only...I've been curious, how do those TPS tires perform? I remember a few years ago some articles being written about the virtues of running two different tire widths front and rear, and that there was some merit to that. Obviously Conti has taken that up with this product---does it work as intended in your opinion?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tires? [letter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here, Here! Tufos are the best, tubulars, and the tubular clinchers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I have Vittoria Rubinos and Continental TPS Attack/Force- which are my personal favorites. "

But what do you race on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far Conti Sprinters for training and Conti Competition for racing. Though I have yet to try Tufos, any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tires? [JohnA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race on TUFO tubulars.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Veloflex and Tufo- the only tyre company who is UNDERWEIGHT compared to their claimed weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tires? [HRH bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
easy-

dugast silk tubulars.

everything else feels like a clincher. which is to say awful and an insult to whatever bicycle you put them on. (would you put all season tires on a ferrari formula one car? then why the hell would you put clinchers on a p3 or any other race bike?)

jerk

http://www.echelonbicycles.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My biggest complaint with Conti is when I do get a flat on the road they are so hard to change.

Aloha,

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like my Vredestein Fortezza clinchers well enough for training, and since I don't currently own race wheels, racing too. Deda has recently entered the tyre market and I'm extremely curious about their stuff, but I don't go through tyres all that fast.

Has anyone tried them? Tom? SuperDave? Bueller?

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Michelin Pro Race (for training - NEVER had a flat in over 5,000 miles). Old H3s ran Tufo S3 lites and they were OK; currently using Conti Sprinters/Competition on my Zipp 404s and I like them better (altough I have only done 4 races on them). I didn't think that they were any harder to put on then the Tufos (tubulars of course).

Re: Favorite Tires? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to like the Michelin Pro Race, but it is now somewhat "outdated" in my opinion compared to the features and benefits of Conti and Vittoria:
  • The Continental Attack and Force Tire Positioning System (TPS) uses front and rear specific tires. The front tire is 1mm narrower than the rear, and one tire ply thinner making it slightly lighter since there is less weight on it than the rear. The rear tire has an additional ply for imporved wear and flat resistance and is 1 mm wider for better weight distribution, traction and ride quality. I like that.
  • Vittoria has introduced a virtual chemistry set of new compounds into their tires for improved wet weather performance, traction, wear and puncture resistance. Michelin is essentially selling the same tire they were three years ago. Their tire line-up is ready for a face lift. When Michelin does introduce new tire models for the '06 model year, expect significant changes from their current, somewhat tired (compared to other brands) line-up.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, thanks for the insight Tom. I guess when it works, why fix it? Michelin is certainly a reputable company and I at least "trust" them. Any thoughts/experiences with the new Zipp tires? I assume someone must make 'em for them.

Re: Favorite Tires? [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I assume someone must make 'em for them."

Tufo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i love contis
Quote Reply
Re: Favorite Tires? [KatyTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. Clement makes 'em for Zipp. And I have them on my race wheels, and they are awesome. As for training tires, Maxxis Columbiere. Simply bombproof.

-"Bottom line, it's the Hunter, not the arrow. Ride what you want."

http://fulltriathlonracing.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't help but think some of you guys have selective memories and are forgetting about a flat or two. 5,000 miles with NO FLATS on Michelin Pro Race?

I just went through a set of the Vredstein Tri-Comp's, and I've never been on anything that felt that "floaty" while ascending, or confidence inspiring while descending. I should have been rotating the front and rear, but I didn't, and the rear lasted me about 2,000 miles until the threads started showing through. I seem to get about two to three flats per week. Whoever comes out with a tire that gets flats as sparingly as car tires, and doesn't sacrifice feel or weight, is going to be the cycling communities savior.
Quote Reply

Prev Next