Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fastest disc wheel - rim width
Quote | Reply
Can anyone point me to testing / documentation quantifying that wider rim with lower pressure is faster? Ref. front pace article about the new Zipp disc.

I’m lookkng to buy a disc wheel and I have options ranging from 19 to 23 mm inner width with optimal tire diameter and pressures rangling from 25mm @ 85psi to 30mm @ 60 psi. Assuming aerodynamics are the same, what is the power difference between 25mm @ 85psi and 30mm @ 60psi with say a GP 5000 TT at 45 kph?

Information I can find on tyre pressure is conflicting……
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel - rim width [Sindre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You missed this??

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/.../?page=unread#unread

Jeroen

Owner at TRIPRO, The Netherlands
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel - rim width [TRIPRO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Sorry. Scanned it now.

Is the answer that all evidence behind wider rims is anecdotal?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel - rim width [Sindre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's no good data showing that if you keep casing tension constant between wider/narrower rim/tires that wider rims/tires are actually faster. Barring super bad roads.

If anything wider rim means you need to use a wider tire. Which then causes more drag, even in the rear (just reduced).
Last edited by: Cajer: Apr 25, 24 16:58
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel - rim width [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wider tire, lower pressure, less contact resistance? so faster...
of course, the tire needs to be a good fit onto the wide rim...so a wide tire smashed on a tiny rim, will always be bad for airflow?
that is what i have heard?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
If anything wider rim means you need to use a wider tire. Which then causes more drag, even in the rear (just reduced).

I think it is the other way around. Wider tire means one should mount it on a wider rim for acceptable aerodynamics. In addition, with wider tire the rim should become deeper in order to realize a reasonable aspect ratio. Which in turn however, increases the cross wind sensitivity.

On wide hooked clincher rims one can (safely) mount relatively narrow tires. At least in our velodrome tests such setups often turned out fastest.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel - rim width [oisisi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oisisi wrote:
of course, the tire needs to be a good fit onto the wide rim...so a wide tire smashed on a tiny rim, will always be bad for airflow?

Think this is wrong.
The contact area only reduces if tire pressure stays the same when going to wider tire.
But most peaple run lower pressure with wider tires. So the contact aera will be similar.

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel - rim width [BenwGoodfellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BenwGoodfellow wrote:
oisisi wrote:

Think this is wrong.
The contact area only reduces if tire pressure stays the same when going to wider tire.
But most peaple run lower pressure with wider tires. So the contact aera will be similar.

you are correct, the contact area increases but resistance only drops if pressure stays the same...
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel - rim width [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BergHugi wrote:
Cajer wrote:

I think it is the other way around. Wider tire means one should mount it on a wider rim for acceptable aerodynamics. In addition, with wider tire the rim should become deeper in order to realize a reasonable aspect ratio. Which in turn however, increases the cross wind sensitivity.

On wide hooked clincher rims one can (safely) mount relatively narrow tires. At least in our velodrome tests such setups often turned out fastest.

The 23mm wide internal width wheel he's looking at means that he is forced to run wider tires. You can't fit a 23mm tire on there safely and maybe not even a 25mm. So he has to run a 28mm which is less aero. Here the wheel manufactures are forcing users to run wider tires. Especially as many wheels are hookless meaning heavier riders say 180 lbs can't run a 23mm as it would require pressures above the safe ~75 psi limit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
The 23mm wide internal width wheel he's looking at means that he is forced to run wider tires. You can't fit a 23mm tire on there safely and maybe not even a 25mm. So he has to run a 28mm which is less aero. Here the wheel manufactures are forcing users to run wider tires. Especially as many wheels are hookless meaning heavier riders say 180 lbs can't run a 23mm as it would require pressures above the safe ~75 psi limit.

I.e. do not buy a hookless rim for fast riding on roads, one is in many ways too much restricted.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel - rim width [BergHugi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BergHugi wrote:
I.e. do not buy a hookless rim for fast riding on roads, one is in many ways too much restricted.

4 front page articles, endless threads ....summarized in one sentence
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel - rim width [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
BergHugi wrote:

^^^^Bingo! Agreed.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
BergHugi wrote:

Dan is awesome and super smart, and as the founder he should have an outsized influence on the discussion, but he's almost the only one promoting hookless as a good product for road cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel - rim width [mathematics] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mathematics wrote:
marcag wrote:
BergHugi wrote:

Dan is awesome and super smart, and as the founder he should have an outsized influence on the discussion, but he's almost the only one promoting hookless as a good product for road cycling.

the balance between showcasing for your sponsors, showing the future potential/trends and giving the tangible pros and cons for the consumer, the ones reading your review and considering a purchase today, is a delicate balance.

Maybe in the absence of data, there should be more emphasis on YMMV
Last edited by: marcag: Apr 29, 24 13:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And another from one of the home page articles with Dan & Josh:
Josh Poertner wrote:
This was a manufacturing advance that allowed companies to make carbon wheels both cheaper and more quickly than they can make hook bead style rims, and as a result, almost all of the 'benefits' attached to hookless thus far have been the creations of marketing departments...

I am yet to see a single feature/benefit pair from anybody's marketing department actually play out in lab or wind tunnel testing, and I'm also not really noticing prices come down either.

This is consistent with so many other experts that test stuff. Because of the limitations, hookless systems are not fast. They might be as fast on bad road surfaces as hooked, but no faster. And hooked would be faster on better road surfaces. Further, hookless seems to introduce a significant blowout risk from user error.

Unlike other advances, it does not seem like hookless will get faster or safer with more R&D & refinement; it seems to be an inherently flawed design.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Apr 29, 24 14:32
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel - rim width [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But I bet the margins are better...

I think that is the only benefit...
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel - rim width [blackey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackey wrote:
But I bet the margins are better...

I think that is the only benefit...

But are those savings passed on to the consumer? I don't really see a significant decrease in hooked vs. hookless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another recent "advance" in road cycling that's a function of marketing departments is continuously wider wheels to make people want to buy new equipment. They are great for gravel but not any faster or more comfortable for road, if you're running the right pressures.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
Another recent "advance" in road cycling that's a function of marketing departments is continuously wider wheels to make people want to buy new equipment. They are great for gravel but not any faster or more comfortable for road, if you're running the right pressures.
I do not believe this is accurate, based on rolling resistance and all the tests that experts in the other threads posted. And as another said, the comfort difference is not subtle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As said above if you don't make pressure adjustments (lower the correct amount) for wider tires, then yes wider will be faster and more comfortable. But there hasn't been any data showing that when you do, wider tires are faster on decent surfaces. If you know of any please share it with me.

The same applies to comfort, and that's harder to measure especially with how powerful the placebo effect is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
As said above if you don't make pressure adjustments (lower the correct amount) for wider tires, then yes wider will be faster and more comfortable. But there hasn't been any data showing that when you do, wider tires are faster on decent surfaces. If you know of any please share it with me.

The same applies to comfort, and that's harder to measure especially with how powerful the placebo effect is.
I think you are mixing a lot of things together and arguing yourself into an impossible corner. I recommend study through this thread. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...c_P8115313/#p8115313

Several folks who test with top tier pros and pro teams posted. They helped teams find the optimal systems (wheel, tire & size, and pressure). Many are running wider tires and 28s are common. And as I said, the comfort difference is definitely not subtle. I was not a believer, until I experienced the difference and bought a new bike because of it. As did a friend of mine.

Sounds like you are just trying to self-justify sticking with your older equipment. That’s ok. I’m sticking with my 25mm/23mm rim brake setup on my TT bike, because I don’t want to hassle with the change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Cajer wrote:

I think you are mixing a lot of things together and arguing yourself into an impossible corner. I recommend study through this thread. https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...c_P8115313/#p8115313

Several folks who test with top tier pros and pro teams posted. They helped teams find the optimal systems (wheel, tire & size, and pressure). Many are running wider tires and 28s are common. And as I said, the comfort difference is definitely not subtle. I was not a believer, until I experienced the difference and bought a new bike because of it. As did a friend of mine.

Sounds like you are just trying to self-justify sticking with your older equipment. That’s ok. I’m sticking with my 25mm/23mm rim brake setup on my TT bike, because I don’t want to hassle with the change.

Thanks for the link. However I've seen that thread and no where do they ever provide data regarding the speed/comfort of wider tires once things are normalized for equivalent casing tension.

If anything Marcag doing testing on rough roads and still finding that high pressures are needed for optimal rolling resistance on 28c tires (80 psi for a 59kg rider on decent roads) flies in the face the new marketing telling riders to run low pressures with 28c tires, making the other marketing claims even more questionable.

In the case of the 59kg rider, he mentioned that she was running a 25mm but had to switch to 28mm to remain in the safe pressure ranges for hookless. Nothing about if 28mm is faster than 25mm.
Last edited by: Cajer: Apr 29, 24 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:

I'm not quite following. Yes, a tire of any width should have a pressure consistent with that width, the road surface, and system weight. Don't think that's in dispute.

Edit: Ah, I think I get the point now....that wider tires are "faster" on smooth rollers at inappropriately high pressures. Gotcha.

Quote:

It *is* hard to measure! But often we have bias towards things that are easy to measure. (Cue my frustrations with engineering managment trends where managers fixate on narrow metrics at the cost of the big picture) And just because the placebo effect exists does not mean a real effect doesn't exist to maybe find.

Anecdotally speaking, of all the people I know who've gone from 23m to 28mm road bike tires, not one has gone back the other way. It's one hell of a mass delusion if it's a delusion. Most recently a 55 y.o. grizzled veteran masters racer I know who used to give me side eye about my 30mm road tires. He was recently forced to replace his ~2015 Tarmac with a 2024 Tarmac. To say he's in love with it, and the tires it came with (28mm Specialized 2Bliss), is an understatement.

I think you must be in the 11% in the poll to the right. Optimize the #'s we can optimize at all costs. Everything else is namby-pampy stuff. I'm in the 68% on this one, despite being somewhat of an # optimizing zealot in most cycling contexts.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 29, 24 16:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
As said above if you don't make pressure adjustments (lower the correct amount) for wider tires, then yes wider will be faster

I think we should clarify the above statement is only true when doing testing on rollers.

It’s a different conversation (and this is the problem with sites like BRR) when you take it outside and do real world crr testing.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest disc wheel - rim width [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Cajer wrote:

I'm not quite following. Yes, a tire of any width should have a pressure consistent with that width, the road surface, and system weight. Don't think that's in dispute.

Quote:

It *is* hard to measure! But often we have bias towards things that are easy to measure. (Cue my frustrations with engineering managment trends where managers fixate on narrow metrics at the cost of the big picture) And just because the placebo effect exists does not mean a real effect doesn't exist to maybe find.

Anecdotally speaking, of all the people I know who've gone from 23m to 28mm road bike tires, not one has gone back the other way. It's one hell of a mass delusion if it's a delusion. Most recently a 55 y.o. grizzled veteran masters racer I know who used to give me side eye about my 30mm road tires. He was recently forced to replace his ~2015 Tarmac with a 2024 Tarmac. To say he's in love with it, and the tires it came with (28mm Specialized 2Bliss), is an understatement.

I think you must be in the 11% in the poll to the right. Optimize the #'s we can optimize at all costs. Everything else is namby-pampy stuff. I'm in the 68% on this one, despite being somewhat of an # optimizing zealot in most cycling contexts.

Thank you. That's a better of putting it. Reframed more clearly, I believe that lowest achievable rolling resistance for a given tire model on decent roads is not lower for a wider tire than a narrower tire. All the data I've seen has not put any effort into finding the optimal pressures for the two widths and instead tests them at the same pressure.

I definitely care about comfort even if it's harder to measure as discomfort leads to fatigue which leads to lower performance from the rider. I just don't agree that wider tires are more comfortable on non-bad surfaces.

In the case of comfort, if we should assume that on good roads different tires show minimal differences in comfort due and we should focus on rougher roads. On these rougher roads I believe that a faster (lower rolling resistance we will disregard aero here) tire when tested with a rider on the intended surface should be more comfortable. Due to reduced transfered vibrations and therefore hysteresis losses in the soft deformable body that is the rider.

I recently had to switch from a 23 to 28mm gp5000 in the rear due to the shop now having a 23 or 25mm in stock after a bad flat, and I didn't notice any differnece in comfort despite running much lower pressures on the 28mm. However I am also riding on very nice roads, if one on riding on poor quality (cracks and potholes) or chipseal there is likely to be a difference.
Quote Reply

Prev Next