Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fastest aerodynamic road helmet?
Quote | Reply
I currently have Kask Bambino Pro Evo and LG P-09 as a TT-helmet, and would not use anything else except from insanely hot races.

For aero road helmet I have a Specialized Evade which is good, but does lack prevent slightly field of vision in TT-positon.

Is there any data out there on aero road helmets that generally perform well? There is a ton of aero road helmets out there, but difficult to know if the aero claims can be backed up by anything other than marketing.

http://www.triallan.com
Ambassador of:
Quintana Roo - https://quintanarootri.com
Bioracer
Precision Fuel & Hydration
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest aerodynamic road helmet? [Allanhov] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HOW THE HELMETS COMPARE IN THE WIND TUNNEL, FROM THE SLOWEST TO THE FASTEST
6. POC Ventral Spin
£270
The 250g Spin has decent airflow from its vast 13 vents and comfortable straps, but it seriously underperformed in the wind tunnel for a helmet with a £270 price tag. The unique Poc style divides opinion but, for us, the masses of exposed white EPS foam and straps give it a cheap overall aesthetic.
Best aero position: Lower speeds, low aero position, 0° yaw angle
Least effective: Higher speeds, low aero position, 0° yaw angle
Average 40km time: 1:00:16
Buy from: www.wiggle.co.uk
5. B’Twin Road R 500
£30
The Road R has modern racy looks and the 17 vents help keep you cool on hot days. The outer shell is in-moulded, even at the rear and around the bottom surface, which makes it robust in day-to-day life but it does take the weight to 320g. The rear ratchet retention system is crude but overall it’s an amazing value lid.
Best aero position: Higher speeds, low aero position, 0° yaw angle
Least effective: Lower speeds, low aero position, 0° yaw angle
Average 40km time: 1:00:11
Buy from www.decathlon.co.uk

4 Scott Cadence Plus
£170
The 280g weight is higher than most but neat features include MIPS and the addition of winter bungs, which can be shoved into the ventilation channels on colder days. The internal padding is limited and the tunnel results varied wildly (see below).
Best aero position: Lower speeds, high aero position, 10° yaw angle
Least effective: Higher speeds, high aero position, 0° yaw angle
Average 40km time: 1:00:07
Buy from tredz.co.uk/

3. Giro Vanquish MIPS
£219.99
The fairly heavy 355g Vanquish MIPS is unique among the competition here as it comes with a magnetic Shield Visor. There’s good clarity but a clear gap between face and visor, which gave us concerns about detritus flicking up. Yet the helmet itself offers sound ventilation via its 10 well-placed vents, there’s MIPS and a comfy ratchet.
Best aero position: Lower speeds, high aero position, 0° yaw angle
Least effective: Lower speeds, high aero position, 10° yaw angle
Average 40km time: 59:59
Buy from www.evanscycles.com

2 Specialized Evade II
£200
With a narrow frontal profile and streamlined tail, the updated 246g Evade II instantly feels fast on the roads. The 11 deep, internal air channels are an improvement over the original, and the magnetic buckle is the best here in transition. We would’ve liked to have seen MIPS and the fixed straps are a little odd.
Best aero position: Higher speeds, both high and low aero positions, 0° yaw angle
Average 40km time: 59:54

1 Kask Mistral TT
£320
The fit of the 345g Mistral is very comfy, and the internal pads and the lateral covers for the ears are really embracing. The wind- tunnel results are almost uniformly impressive, only falling behind the aero road competition when slowing down in crosswinds and at a higher head position. But the ventilation can’t compete and it suffers in hot conditions.
Best aero position: Higher speeds, high aero position, 0° yaw angle
Average 40km time: 59:22
Buy from www.wiggle.co.uk

Road, aero road and TT cycling helmets: How much difference does the type really make? - 220 Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Helmets are quite individual*, but the Vanquish and the Evade 2 consistently test well. Next would probably be the Ballista.

*It's not just head position and back profile, two identical people might opt for different sizes in helmets between brands. I might test better in a M Ballista than a L Vanquish (but worse still in a L Ballista)....so asking if a Ballista or Vanquish is a faster helmet is a bit misleading.
Also, are they tested in a very aero road position (i.e. hammering in the drops), or are we looking at watts saved cruising around on the hoods? Much more time spent on the hoods, but not crunch time.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The met manta is great... Lightest and great aero... If its good enough for cavendish at 85kph...
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest aerodynamic road helmet? [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
The met manta is great... Lightest and great aero... If its good enough for cavendish at 85kph...

The manta may be a good aero road helmet (don't really have any comparative data), and it's on 1/2 price sale these days (so a screaming deal at $120): https://www.merlincycles.com/...4831.html?source=PHG

As for Cav, the lid on his head has more to do with sponsorship than anything else.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest aerodynamic road helmet? [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
6. POC Ventral Spin
£270
The 250g Spin has decent airflow from its vast 13 vents and comfortable straps, but it seriously underperformed in the wind tunnel for a helmet with a £270 price tag. The unique Poc style divides opinion but, for us, the masses of exposed white EPS foam and straps give it a cheap overall aesthetic.
5. B’Twin Road R 500
£30
The Road R has modern racy looks and the 17 vents help keep you cool on hot days. The outer shell is in-moulded, even at the rear and around the bottom surface, which makes it robust in day-to-day life but it does take the weight to 320g. The rear ratchet retention system is crude but overall it’s an amazing value lid.

4 Scott Cadence Plus
£170
The 280g weight is higher than most but neat features include MIPS and the addition of winter bungs, which can be shoved into the ventilation channels on colder days. The internal padding is limited and the tunnel results varied wildly (see below).
Buy from tredz.co.uk/

3. Giro Vanquish MIPS
£219.99
The fairly heavy 355g Vanquish MIPS is unique among the competition here as it comes with a magnetic Shield Visor. There’s good clarity but a clear gap between face and visor, which gave us concerns about detritus flicking up. Yet the helmet itself offers sound ventilation via its 10 well-placed vents, there’s MIPS and a comfy ratchet.

2 Specialized Evade II
£200
With a narrow frontal profile and streamlined tail, the updated 246g Evade II instantly feels fast on the roads. The 11 deep, internal air channels are an improvement over the original, and the magnetic buckle is the best here in transition. We would’ve liked to have seen MIPS and the fixed straps are a little odd.
Best aero position: Higher speeds, both high and low aero positions, 0° yaw angle

1 Kask Mistral TT
£320
The fit of the 345g Mistral is very comfy, and the internal pads and the lateral covers for the ears are really embracing. The wind- tunnel results are almost uniformly impressive, only falling behind the aero road competition when slowing down in crosswinds and at a higher head position. But the ventilation can’t compete and it suffers in hot conditions.

Road, aero road and TT cycling helmets: How much difference does the type really make? - 220 Triathlon

Intresting that they tested the Giro Vanquish because the Giro Aerohead is faster. I prefer the Vanquish because its not as hot but the Aerohead is faster.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest aerodynamic road helmet? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the original Evade, Kask Utopia, POC cerebel and Sworks TT helmets. My favorite so far is the Kask Utopia. I don’t feel like I’m missing much over what I used to consider my fastest helmet (Sworks TT), and would probably place it between Sworks and Cerebel in terms of efficiency.

I used to benchmark myself on local loops and concluded the Sworks was about 5W better than the Cerebel, and while I haven’t done the same for the Utopia, I wouldn’t be too surprised if it was a close 2nd or real-world 1st to the Sworks TT.

Evade may have been a decent road aero helmet once, but it was never anywhere near my TT helmets in performance. I’m not sure how much better the Evade II is, but I wouldn’t bet on it being better than Kask Utopia.

Also, I’m an aerodynamicist by trade, and the Utopia has the right design features... other than maybe the vents are on the large side of what I’d suggest.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest aerodynamic road helmet? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
LifeTri wrote:
6. POC Ventral Spin
£270
5. B’Twin Road R 500
£30

4 Scott Cadence Plus
£170
Buy from tredz.co.uk/

3. Giro Vanquish MIPS
£219.99

2 Specialized Evade II
£200

1 Kask Mistral TT
£320

Intresting that they tested the Giro Vanquish because the Giro Aerohead is faster. I prefer the Vanquish because its not as hot but the Aerohead is faster.

The aerohead isn’t an aero road helmet. The vanquish is. The test was looking at different types of helmets, not trying to discern which were the fastest within a given category.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The trends I've seen in the wind tunnel are that the Evade II is typically the fastest aero road helmet for most people.

Now if you're thinking of replacing a true aero helmet with an aero road helmet the fastest aero road helmets will 997/1000 times get smoked by the fastest true TT helmets.

I think of it this way. if you bike race and/or race draft legal you should be using an aero road helmet for those races. For a straight up TT/tri use a true TT helmet for your best performance outcomes.

The LG P09 is great for ~ 80-85% of people but when it doesn't work it does a really good job at being bad.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest aerodynamic road helmet? [codygo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is the Kask Utopia for sunglasses, so when its hot or long climb is it doable to put them in a vent?

Thanx
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest aerodynamic road helmet? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trends I've seen in the wind tunnel are that the Evade II is typically the fastest aero road helmet for most people.

I have no data at hand or to add here, just an observation that, the Evade LOOKS like a fast helmet. It's essentially a real TT Aero Helmet that Specialized made some mods on and tweaks here and there. And as I noted, on most people's heads it just looks the most aerodynamic of all the helmets you see on the start line of a typical Road Race - World Tour or otherwise!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply