Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fastest Stroller 5k?
Quote | Reply
I like to set stupid goals. I did an ironman on very low training to see if I could do it. Now that IMFL is over & my wife is 28 weeks pregnant, I need to set more family friendly goals.

I have only done a couple of races before, one of them was a 5k. I saw a bunch of ladies running it with strollers, which surprised me. I thought it my be funny to do a 5k with a stroller (obviously my little girl has to be born & grow up a little bit first) and go sub 20 mins?

Has anybody done that before? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [slow123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did an 80's 5k in a speedo in SF a couple weeks ago (Backdoor brag: PR @ 18:35) and one of the top 5 ladies was pushing a stroller with TWINS and she was charging. I don't think she was sub-20, but I would guess she was in the 21-22 minute range. Twins!

Lady + twins = set your sights a little higher!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a sub 20 2 year ago with my niece.

I'm doing a 10k stroller in Feb and aiming for 40 mins. Of course, I'll be using whatever jogger my sister-in-law has - and that has an effect on it too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran a turkey trot 5km this past week and a guy wearing an NCAA xcountry tee ran with a stroller and ran sub 19, I didnt get his exact time but I was pretty impressed for running with a stroller..

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [ozjt23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One of our local 10k guys did around 33 with a stroller. The chariots on a non-hilly course really don't add much resistance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My best was just under 18 min with a triple jogger:
about 110 pounds with kids and jogger together. Note: it was a course with only a couple hills; definately not hilly. Best 10k was a 37:48... which I had to stop twice to retreive lost toys.

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Not me, but I did the Huntington Beach, CA 4th of July 5K a few years back and 3 guys went sub-20 with strollers. My co-worker, 52 at the time, did a 19 & change and placed 3rd. If I recall, 1st place went 17 min. At another race, I ran a 39 minute 10k and got passed at about mile 5 by a stroller.

Dean Wilson
http://www.anaerobiczone.com
Bicycle Protection Indoors & Out
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WR for the marathon pushing a baby jogger is 2:33.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [isbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is all great stuff! It's getting me excited for this goal.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [stephen J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like the rear tri-spoke, but think if you went with rear disc wheels and a front tri-spoke you could shave at least a few seconds off that time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
18:28 with a double jog stroller, but only 1 kid. They gave us "baby joggers" a 5 min head start to help not get entangled with anyone, so I was the very first person to come across the finish line. Well, I guess my son was.

Proud Member of Chris McDonald's 2018 Big Sexy Race Team "That which doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger"
Blog-Twitter-Instagram-Race Reports - 2018 Races: IM Florida 70.3, IM Raleigh 70.3, IM 70.3 World Championships - South Africa, IM North Carolina 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [stephen J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephen J wrote:
My best was just under 18 min with a triple jogger:
about 110 pounds with kids and jogger together. Note: it was a course with only a couple hills; definately not hilly. Best 10k was a 37:48... which I had to stop twice to retreive lost toys.

Your seats are too high.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, I ran a local 5k last year benefiting the school PTA and came in 2nd place. 3rd place was a guy running with a stroller. I was not going to lose to stroller man.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Last edited by: Printer86: Nov 30, 12 11:57
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [jbank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jbank wrote:
I like the rear tri-spoke, but think if you went with rear disc wheels and a front tri-spoke you could shave at least a few seconds off that time.

And aero helmets for the kids.

"Ok kids, NECKS DOWN!"
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Printer86 wrote:
Also, I ran a local 5k last year benefiting the school PTA and came in 2nd place. 3rd place was a guy running with a stroller. I was not going to lose to stroller man.

Being at the way back of the field in and out and back course gives me the fun of seeing who is going to likely win the race before I hit the halfway mark. Local 5k on a flat road course, saw stroller guy in 3rd place. Blew my mind.

===================================
I'll tell you all right now, my seat is too low, I'm not aero and I carry too much fluid on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not fast, but I have run a 10k with 2 kids in a stroller (ages 5 and 3). Was happy to run a 54:00.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun said he ran a 5k Turkey Trot in 20 minutes pushing a double-wide with his grand-daughters...

Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kny wrote:

That is fast period... The WR for running it backwards(!) is 3:42:41...that same guy also has the backwards half marathon WR at 1:35:49 and backwards 10k WR 40:02...

http://www.recordholders.org/...ckwards-running.html
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [mattbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mattbk wrote:
kny wrote:

That is fast period... The WR for running it backwards(!) is 3:42:41...that same guy also has the backwards half marathon WR at 1:35:49 and backwards 10k WR 40:02...

http://www.recordholders.org/...ckwards-running.html

You know, in the scheme of world records, this backwards running one doesn't really impress me much. I actually would think that someone could get used to it and get quite fast at it. This is nowhere as fast as forwards walking, and I'd think backwards running would be faster than forwards walking. But, I'd be wrong, apparently.

Mike Wardian, who placed 2nd in the WR setting baby jogger marathon duel (2:34), has the WR in the marathon on a 200m indoor track, 2:27. Now, how ridiculous/stupid is that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   Ran a 5k probably 15 years ago, Life College 5k, in Atlanta. Had some hills, and I ran 18:42, was passed at a little over 2 miles by a guy pushing a stroller. The guy also had to start at the back of the herd of the 5-600 person race. I was duly impressed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not as fast as most of you but I did 21.13 in my first 5k this year with my twins and it was on fathers day :)
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I don't find it impressive as much as kind of weird...It doesn't seem so much like sport as it does a trick of sorts, I guess... I'd much rather have the 2:33 with or without a stroller... That 200m track marathon could be brutal, I wonder if he switched directions every once in awhile to take stress off one side with all the turning...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A local guy went 4:45 for a mile here this summer, pushing his kid (who was appropriately wearing a helmet).

I saw the dad warming up and the kid was complaining "Dad, I wanna go fast!"

Dad said, "This is just warm ups son, we are going to go fast"

No doubt.

Throw the 4:45 into Jack Daniels and see what an equivalent 5k time is!

Ironman Certified Coach

Currently accepting limited number of new athletes
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [bufit323] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's always fun to that, plus once you drop teh stroller and run by yourself you feel like you are flying. YOU guys are flying though!! I'm still working on getting sub 21 sans stroller!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Stroller 5k? [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did a 20:00 flat, at a local 5k, pushing both my girls in a double BOB. The 3 of us had a blast.

Do what you can when you can to stay active, instill an active lifestyle in your family, and know that maybe more serious competion will come again for you later in life.

Quote Reply

Prev Next