Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Fastest Bike?
Quote | Reply
Bottom line... what is the fastest production bike available for TT/Triathlon? I know, I know... the one that fits you, but lets assume they all fit. What are the top 5? Is there any definitive data on this?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Bike? [triteach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I can gather.
Felt DA, Cervelo P3C, Walser, new Specialized, New Cannondale seem to be the concensus amongst currently available bikes These are in no particular order and i suspect I may have missed some. Amongst the five I picked I don't think ther is a huge amount of time to be picked up or lost. I'd also include the latest Trek TTX.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Bike? [smtyrrell99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if the Kestrel KM40 with it's seat-tubeless design is up there?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
From what I can gather.
Felt DA, Cervelo P3C, Walser, new Specialized, New Cannondale seem to be the concensus amongst currently available bikes These are in no particular order and i suspect I may have missed some. Amongst the five I picked I don't think ther is a huge amount of time to be picked up or lost. I'd also include the latest Trek TTX.

Styrrell

Hmmm...I'm thinking the new Specialized and Cannondale models should be left off that list until somebody actually has some wind tunnel experience with them.

For currently available bikes, I'd put the list at Walser, P3C, Felt DA/B2, P2C, and TTX....in no particular order.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No.

See Toms Answer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
P3C, P3C, P3C, P3C, P3C. OK, so I'm showing a little bias. Tim
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Bike? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
P2C and not the P3C?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
P2C and not the P3C?

Umm...they're both in my list...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Felt website says, "You are looking at the fastest UCI legal Tri / TT bike built today. Developed over two years, with careful use of NACA aerofoil profiles, CFD flow modeling and wind tunnel experimentation, the DA frame system delivers unsurpassed aerodynamic advantage with incredible drive-train and steering stiffness."

Are there frames faster that aren't UCI legal? Does that include frames like Zipp, Softride, and Lotus?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The Felt website says, "You are looking at the fastest UCI legal Tri / TT bike built today. Developed over two years, with careful use of NACA aerofoil profiles, CFD flow modeling and wind tunnel experimentation, the DA frame system delivers unsurpassed aerodynamic advantage with incredible drive-train and steering stiffness."

Are there frames faster that aren't UCI legal? Does that include frames like Zipp, Softride, and Lotus?

Sigh...here we go again...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/..._string=UCI;#1445242

Short answer...according to SuperDave, the Lotus is slightly faster...but it weighs 3 pounds more than a DA.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put specialized on because of Cobbs input, and Cannondale because it looks good ;-), Dan has praised it, and I suspect that Cannondale has the $$ to spend on tunneltime. Frankly given their resourses I'm surprised that it took them this long to come up with a top contender. All in all we didn't differ by much.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Weel Zipp, Softride and Lotus aren't made anymore, and you asked currently available. All of them have reported good numbers but most recent work has been done on UCI legal frames. Also it seems like most of the odd designs are very dependant on which wheels are used. Supposedly ZIPP and Softride are very good with a disk and no so much without.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I put specialized on because of Cobbs input, and Cannondale because it looks good ;-), Dan has praised it, and I suspect that Cannondale has the $$ to spend on tunneltime. Frankly given their resourses I'm surprised that it took them this long to come up with a top contender. All in all we didn't differ by much.

Styrrell

I didn't think that Mr. Cobb had any input into the new Transition...I thought it was just the MIT folks (including one Mr. Cote).

Don't know much about the Cannondale...however, experience has shown that just because something looks fast, or seems intuitively fast, it doesn't necessarily mean that it is. So, I prefer to not speculate about frames that don't have some sort of measurements made on them (and reported) when someone asks "What's the fastest?". YMMV ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I put specialized on because of Cobbs input,"

I think you're confusing the Specialized with the Willier....

(and yeah, ditto - here we go again...)

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TITANFLEX

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could swear that Cobb's name was mentioned, but now that you mention it, was it one of the euro bikes that looked a lot like the transition?

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The simple answer is: There is no definitive data on this. Various companies cite various "tests".

With that said, using some logic let us look at 5 that have a good chance at being high on the list:

1. Cervelo should be included as their wheel cutout design appears to have been copied by numerous companies and as noted in the recent Kona bike count, the vast majority of those who go fast (virtually all competitors in Kona except lottery slots, media slots, industry slots, etc.) go with Cervelo.
2. Felt's DA/B2 bike is extremely thin and they seem to be able to discuss the finer points of aerodynamics (and I believe some engineers from both Cervelo and Felt have shared a past history back at GT?)
3. Walser - although are these available in mass production? (I thought they were more custom)
4. Trek TTX - have spent alot of time over the past 10 years in the wind tunnel with Steve Hed, Lance, John Cobb (in the early days)

The number 5 slot could go to any number of companies. I have not included Zipp, Softride, Hooker, Lotus, etc. as none of them are in production any longer. Some of these companies could include:
- Kestrel - if we include the rider ON the bike, a lower head tube puts Kestrel towards the theoretical end of reducing frontal area
- Wilier - pretty much anything designed with the help of John Cobb - who arguably has spent as much time (if not more) as anyone in the bike business in wind tunnels over the years. I am just not sure how "production" they are at this point, although I know Rich at the Bike Shop in Glen Ellyn has been selling these frames for over a year
- Specialized - new entry, not much data available on the Transition. Are these readily available yet either?
- Cannondale - same as above - although still awaiting delivery on the new tri frame?
- Jamis - state that their frame received the lowest ever drag reading at the San Diego wind tunnel?

I am sure there are others I have temporarily forgotten, but the reality is that different bikes with different geometries may react differently with riders on top. Going with any of those named (and any others) will put you into the negligible range where it probably is not the equipment that cost your race, slot to kona, etc. For every person who buys a very aerodynamic bike, I have seen as many buy the same bike, have crappy cable routing (long enough to dry your clothes on), or riding styles (bow legged), having your numbers flap in the wind, loose clothing, etc. that will all negate the amount of money just spent.

Craig Preston - President / Preston Presentations
Saving the world with more professional, powerful, and persuasive presentations - one audience at a time.
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Bike? [Craigster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much agree (and Wilier, thats the one I was thinking of), but I don't agree with your reasoning for the Kestrel. Most people are higher than possible on their bikes anyway. Just because a bike might allow a lower position doesn'r mean it will be used.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Bike? [Craigster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The simple answer is: There is no definitive data on this. Various companies cite various "tests".

With that said, using some logic let us look at 5 that have a good chance at being high on the list:

1. Cervelo should be included as their wheel cutout design appears to have been copied by numerous companies and as noted in the recent Kona bike count, the vast majority of those who go fast (virtually all competitors in Kona except lottery slots, media slots, industry slots, etc.) go with Cervelo. Great design, no doubt, didn't the GT vengence have a seat tube cut out? How about Moser? Hooker? I agree you cannot go wrong with a Cervelo, but they didn't invent the chicken or the egg.
2. Felt's DA/B2 bike is extremely thin and they seem to be able to discuss the finer points of aerodynamics (and I believe some engineers from both Cervelo and Felt have shared a past history back at GT?) Yes, some GT folks work at Felt, I can't speak for Cervelo
3. Walser - although are these available in mass production? (I thought they were more custom)
4. Trek TTX - have spent alot of time over the past 10 years in the wind tunnel with Steve Hed, Lance, John Cobb (in the early days)
I'll agree, they have done their homework and the geometry revisions from the original frame suit a triathlete.
The number 5 slot could go to any number of companies. I have not included Zipp, Softride, Hooker, Lotus, etc. as none of them are in production any longer. Some of these companies could include:
- Kestrel - if we include the rider ON the bike, a lower head tube puts Kestrel towards the theoretical end of reducing frontal area
- Wilier - pretty much anything designed with the help of John Cobb - who arguably has spent as much time (if not more) as anyone in the bike business in wind tunnels over the years. I am just not sure how "production" they are at this point, although I know Rich at the Bike Shop in Glen Ellyn has been selling these frames for over a year
- Specialized - new entry, not much data available on the Transition. Are these readily available yet either?
- Cannondale - same as above - although still awaiting delivery on the new tri frame?
- Jamis - state that their frame received the lowest ever drag reading at the San Diego wind tunnel? They stated "one of the lowest" not the lowest, and certainly with the non-UCI legal frames that have been in SD...I'd question the claim if indeed it is "lowest ever drag"

I am sure there are others I have temporarily forgotten, but the reality is that different bikes with different geometries may react differently with riders on top. Going with any of those named (and any others) will put you into the negligible range where it probably is not the equipment that cost your race, slot to kona, etc. For every person who buys a very aerodynamic bike, I have seen as many buy the same bike, have crappy cable routing (long enough to dry your clothes on), or riding styles (bow legged), having your numbers flap in the wind, loose clothing, etc. that will all negate the amount of money just spent. amen!
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Bike? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No BMC? The Time machine TT01 seems pretty fast to.

Or am I wrong?
Quote Reply
Re: Fastest Bike? [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
didn't the GT vengence have a seat tube cut out? How about Moser? Hooker?

I've never seen a road-going version of a Hooker with a cut-out, but I have seen pics of a Hooker track bike with a shallow one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Bottom line... what is the fastest production bike available for TT/Triathlon? I know, I know... the one that fits you, but lets assume they all fit. What are the top 5? Is there any definitive data on this?
This is heresy, and no, I am not an engineer, but wind tunnel data is over rated.

I did a quick scan of bikes getting on the podium for 10 IM's this year (got boring) and counted more than 20 different brands!!! Also pretty sure that the P3C did not make the top 10 on the mens side at Kona, though had 2 or 3 on the womens side.

If anyone bike was truly faster in real life conditions, a lot more would ride that brand.

The fastest bike is the one with the best rider in the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How could we all forget the Cheetah

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

The fastest bike will always be the one with the best engine.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bike's don't propel themselves, therefore you cannot qualify "fastest".
Quote Reply

Prev Next