Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fall Marathon Training Thread [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bay State was certainly a little thinner up front not being a Grand Prix race, but still 35 people under 3 hours.

I PR'ed in 2:43 and was 8th overall.

Thought I had a 2:42 or so in me, but it was really windy and by mile 13 I was running completely alone and I paid for that in the last couple miles.

http://www.coolrunning.com/..._Baysta_2_set1.shtml

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Fall Marathon Training Thread [SwBkRn44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey that's awesome. Seriously congratulations. Great performance
Quote Reply
Re: Fall Marathon Training Thread [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats to all who completed fall marathons! I earned my 5 stars with the MArathon Maniacs. 3 states, 3 marathons, 8 days. 2:57, 3:09, 3:16. Very happy that I only lost 7 minutes after back to back marathons! Chicago, Indianapolis, and Grand Rapids! What's on tap for spring?

Lifelong Endurance Coach
Triathlon - Running - Cycling - Nutrition
Check us out online to see what we offer
http://www.lifelongendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much, I was pleased and feel pretty good this morning.

Now...any tips for using this base to run a decent 5k in 5 and a half weeks (Turkey Trot)? This week is going to be nothing structured and next week my wife and I are headed out to California for a week of vacation in San Francisco and Napa, I'll get some runs in, but again, nothing structured.

So that leaves 3.5 weeks. I basically followed Daniels A plan for the marathon, so the last 6 weeks have had lots of MP stuff, the 6 weeks before that had lots of tempo stuff, and the 6 weeks before that a fair amount of interval work. So it's been ~2-3 months since I've done any running faster than tempo. But I feel pretty fit and am hoping with some sharpening work I can run a solid 5k.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really no, sorry. You've got a ton of fitness right now. Just don't come back too fast. The big goal is done. Don't crank the mileage back up too fast. Those first few weeks when you resume training after a marathon -- particularly a very successful marathon -- seem to be the ones in which the chance of injury is highest. I can't tell you how many times I've seen that pattern (or lived it!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great efforts SwBkRn and Deathguy. Enjoy the rest of the fall. And, Turkey Trots are not where you go for your PR. Just run well and have fun.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Quote Reply
Re: Fall Marathon Training Thread [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
Had a great few weeks up to this weekend's Lake of the Sky Trail Run (18 miles), but at mile 14 I felt my knee get funky. By mile 17 it was feeling exactly like it did just before my surgery last July. I may have torn by knee cap catilage (chondral flap) again. If I did, my hopes or a return to running may be over for at least the next 8-10 months (perhaps another surgery, this time most likely a micro-fracture procedure. I sure hope its just old scar tissue breaking up, still hurts like a mother today so I'm rather down in the dumps. If you have a favorite God, please pray to him/her/it for me. If I can no longer run, I guess I will give my mountain bike a run for its money! Or I will have to learn to swim a lot faster thasn I do now. Good luck to everyone, I hope your knees work better than mine do!

Dave

Well sports fans, after three weeks of riding the edge of a razor blade following my scare at Tahoe, I have returned to the trail with a sensible ramp up. Tahoe was just a heads up that I needed to train my downhill running more and strengthen my quads more too. Two weeks of very painful ART and easy hiking the trails I usually run and I was back in business (although it was super slow and carefully managed so I didn't re-injure myself) I did check the results and my painful run was not without its rewards. I was 6th overall and won my AG 40-50 by 6 minutes. My first EVER AG win.

With the Moab Trail Marathon only 3 weeks away, this past weekend was my back-to-back weekend prior to the start of my taper. I ran 9.5 miles with 3400' of elevation on Saturday and 10.2 miles with 2300' of elevation. Moab is only 3400' of elevation over 26 miles so I am confident that my body will be able to manage that with few if any issues. My only concern is that I live/train at sea level and the race will be from 4500-5000 feet.

Congrats to all who have finished, I look forward to joining your victory party in a few weeks.

PS - In my zest for running and in particular trail running I bit the bullet and signed up for the American River 50 mile trail race in April 2012. This might sound crazy, but I'm pretty excited about it already!

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Fall Marathon Training Thread [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DC Pattie wrote:
1. Who has a fall marathon on their schedule? Yes
2. Which marathon are you doing? Chicago
3. What kind of training plan are you going with this year? 8-week plan, 55mpw starting after multisport season ends on Aug 7. Basically, I do strength training on Mondays & Fridays, with three 1-hours runs between T, W, TH. Weekends are a 10 mile trail run and a long run ranging between 25-35K, 35K will be my long run. During 8-week program I only run - no cycling or swimming.
4. How's your training going? During multisport season, I run about 25-30mpw, running much faster than build-up for April marathon (Boston) so feeling pretty hopeful.

Update: After five near perfect training weeks, I got sick for three weeks, resulting in very little training the final three weeks before my taper week. The week before I did a 16 mile simulation run that felt ok but seriously strained my undertrained calves (because of the time off due to illness). managed to get them to the point where I felt I could finish the race and lined up for race day. A bit warm for Chicago, starting temp in the low 60's and in the low 70's by finish. More importantly for me...no WIND! Goal was 3:06 with an alternative goal of sub 3:10 (2013 BQ). First 5K was my slowest 5K split (23:13), the next 25K was right at my target 5K splits (22:10, 21:59, 21:57, 21:48, 21:57). 30-35K was slower but reasonable (22:33) - it was at this point that I knew my A goal was gone but my B goal was very much in play. My final 5K split was 23:11, two seconds slower than my first 5K split. The final 2.2K was at the same pace. The calves held up but barely, from mile 7 on I was seriously thinking they could blow at any moment. My finish time was 3:09:01 - a new PR by 2 mins. Not bad but I recorded a 2:07 30K (6:49 pace) 5 weeks earlier and was hoping to hold that fitness into marathon week. Its a fine line between being fit and sick and injured.

I'm also thinking that maybe 35K isn't long enough for my long run. I was strong through 35K - exactly the length of my long run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, probably the words of restraint I needed to hear. I'll certainly take it easy this week and just do some casual running while on vacation next week.

I ran Bay State last year, then Boston, now Bay State again and back to Boston in April. Hopefully using what I've learned in the last 3 buildups and the experience from doing Boston this year to have a stronger last few miles next year.

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I recall, you are moving (or perhaps have have already moved) to one of the Shore communities from Newton, right? Well if you are local enough, we have a pretty good group of guys from a number of running clubs who get together for some weekend long runs during the Boston build-up. These guys range from 2:3x guys to 3:10 guys or so. A number of us generally shooting for around 2:40. If you want to be on the list for our long runs, PM me an email address and I'll have my friend Jon include you on the emails.

Runs typically go from Cleveland circle or somewhere else on the course. This time around we're going to try do a few of them right from Hopkinton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good memory, live in Newton now, moving to Cohasset next month.

I'll PM you my email address, would appreciate being on the list. Shooting for ~2:40 in Boston and would love some group training and don't mind driving to meet for a long run on weekends.

Thanks!

Portside Athletics Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race: NYC Marathon
Goal TIme: 2:57:00 (Need Advice here)

My first taper week started off with a business trip to Boston and ended with some good runs and a race.

I've put in over 770 miles in the past 11 weeks, did my long runs and posted times at other distances that point to a 2:57 marathon. I feel that I can do 2:57, but there's always a little doubt that creeps into my head.

I've done three tune-up races in the last 4 weeks

10/1: 38:57 10k (sore hamstring, held off last 2 miles)
10/8: 1:24:01 1/2 Marathon
10/22: 1:03:27 10 miler

10/17-10/23 Running

Monday: Rest (travel)
Tuesday: 8 miles easy (60 minutes)on Hotel treadmill
Wednesday: Rest (Travel)
Thursday: 14 miles (1:40:00)
Friday: 9 miles (1:03:00)
Saturday: 10 Mile Race (1:03:27)
Sunday: 17 miles (2:09:00)
last 4 on Sunday were: 6:44, 6:48, 6:37, 6:31

Total week's Miles: 58

Quote Reply
Re: Fall Marathon Training Thread - RR/post-mortem [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run & Done: Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon
Sunday 16 Oct.

3:34:15, 61/293 AG

My first 26.2, trained with the F.I.R.S.T. plan, 16 weeks, 3 runs/week + 2 x/training workouts.
Longest runs: 5x32km sprinkled throughout.

In a nutshell: very happy with the results, finished healthy & happy, which was my first priority. BQ would have been nice but that just gives me a carrot for the second one. For a 52 y.o. who couldn't manage > 5k two years ago I think this bodes well for the future. Recovery's been seamless, no issues.
While I am glad I chose the Run Less - Run Faster plan and proud I hit all of the workout milestones etc... I may try something more "Slowtwitch-y" for the next.

The simple fact of the matter is: I found that I love running too much to abide with only doing it three times/week! I was often itching to lace up on a given day when I'd realize it was instead time for either a cross-training w/o or a day off. I think the F.I.R.S.T. plan is a good one and I would recommend it to anyone except those who really love running! It is based on solid principles and common sense, but I just crave more mileage. I will likely take the best of what this offers - like the precise paces for each of the three speeds of w/o - and blend it with whatever plan I go with in the future. Currently have JD's book coming in from Amazon, but open to other opinions (ha! - no worries, will use the Search function)

Other improvements I will incorporate: serious, dedicated body-weight training in the off-season, as I think my limiters were primarily my geezerly large-muscle groups. Hydration & electrolytes were executed according to training, so I suspect it was simple fatigue that caused cramps to knock at my door after 35kms.

Full report here.

Quote | Reply
Karma, Glad to see that you're back on track.

DCPattie, Sorry to hear that you were sick. Nice PR anyway.

Snail Male, You got #1 done. Now, go for Boston.

Deathguy, Thanks for your advice along the way.

Quote Reply
Re: Fall Marathon Training Thread [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I did my last race on Sept 10 (half marathon) and am taking off unitl Oct 1st when I begin training for the Carlsbad Marathon in January.

Since last December I've used the BarryP run program and have modified it to suit my triathlon racing needs over the year. This has been a great year running for me and I've been injury free for the first time in a long time. I'm dying to get back into the routine.

Hey mck414, I am this close to signing up for the Carlsbad marathon.

Have you run this before? Is it worth a trip across the continent for? I'm from Toronto, but mid January seems a perfect time to escape the winter to head down to Southern California for a mini family holiday.

I'm 7 weeks into the Hanson's plan and the training is going well so far. Now I just need to commit the $$ to the race fees, hotels and air fare.

Good job to every one completing their fall marathons. Went out to cheer a few friends at the Toronto Waterfront marathon last week, great inspiration. Bugger of a headwind for the 1st 10K though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been quiet on this thread but I was too excited from yesterday's run to contain it :)

On Sept 18th I ran the Philly Half in 1:39:08, which was right on track for where I wanted to be, but unfortunately my right hamstring wasn't all that ecstatic about it. Thinking I could see it through, I ran a 17 miler per my plan the weekend after (Sept 24th) and pretty much aggravated my injury to never-before-encountered levels. As of yesterday morning, I'd only run twice (for 7 miles total) since that 17 miler disaster, as the hamstring pain spread down to my knee (pes anserinus tendonitis) and it was in pain whether I was sleeping, driving, or walking. As this is my first running injury I've experienced, I was pretty fearful of lasting consequences and of my ability to even run the upcoming race....

However, I'd been feeling good for about a week so far so yesterday morning I headed out for a 12 miler per my plan. I did 9 non-stop and took a quick break before the last leg, but overall the run was pain free, with a pace of 8:49 pace; exactly where I left off before the half marathon in September. It. Felt. GREAT.

I'll have to add a few modifications to my current plan, but I think I'll be ready to kick some ass on November 20th. While my initial goal was 3:20 (which was lofty then, and is lofty now), I'm at least confident that I can run a 3:30 pending proper nutrition.

--------------------------------
Swim. Bike. Run. Tacos. Not always in that order.
@ryan_hurley
Quote Reply
Re: Fall Marathon Training Thread [swarles84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race: NYC Marathon
Goal: 2:57 (but feelin' really good right now)

I just finished taper week #2 for the NYC Marathon and feel like a running superhero right about now. Every run this week has felt effortless. In fact, I feel so good, I may renounce my U.S. citizenship and join the Kenyen National Marathon Team.

Ok, just kidding. But my taper for the NYM has been going well. This week consisted of a combination of easy runs and marathon paced runs. Next week involves a short business trip to Florida on Tuesday and Wednesday before I fly to New York on Friday.

Monday: Rest
Tuesday: 9 miles (1:00:16) 8 miles at MP (6:37)
Wednesday: 6 miles easy (44:07)
Thursday: 9 miles (59:40). All 9 miles at MP (6:37)
Friday: 6 miles easy (47:00)
Saturday: 6 miles easy (44:24) Last mile @ 6:39.
Sunday: 14 miles (1:36:41) Last 5 miles @ 6:40's

Week's Total Miles: 50

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice week Printer, it's great that you are able to do all that M pace work. Very positive sign.

Living in Boston and dealing with this snow storm this weekend made me wonder what kind of bad weather would it take for the folks here to skip their marathon? In my case I've been dealing with some injury issues and am only running with the goal of PR-ing, so anything that made that impossible I'd probably be out. Uninjured, some combination of cold and rain could probably get me to bail. I do this for fun, and 40s or colder + steady rain does not sound like fun!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Fall Marathon Training Thread [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'm a weather wuss. I'm glad I wasn't signed up for any of the B2B races yesterday. The weather down there would have realy tested my resolve. In fact, it was too cold for me to even drive down there and watch. For those folks that did either of the B2B races yesterday, you're some tough SOB's. You've earned your offseason.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
23 miles of MP during a taper seems like a lot. Don't get overzealous. You can't really do anything to improve your marathon at this point but you can do a lot to screw it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Fall Marathon Training Thread [deathb4DNF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
deathb4DNF wrote:
Congrats to all who completed fall marathons! I earned my 5 stars with the MArathon Maniacs. 3 states, 3 marathons, 8 days. 2:57, 3:09, 3:16. Very happy that I only lost 7 minutes after back to back marathons! Chicago, Indianapolis, and Grand Rapids! What's on tap for spring?

Congrats on the 3:16 at Grand Rapids, especially as the 3rd of 3! I was there watching my bff run the full and that was one ugly start to a race morning - dark, damp and rainy. It was a gorgeous day there last year but not so this year. She is of the "velocity challenged" category and was texting me at mile 5 that she wanted to drop out, but she soldiered on to a pretty good time for her.

I was supposed to run the GR half but came down with a bad cold a week before and couldn't shake it in time. Now I am going to try to put it together for the Hamilton ON half next weekend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
karma wrote:
Had a great few weeks up to this weekend's Lake of the Sky Trail Run (18 miles), but at mile 14 I felt my knee get funky. By mile 17 it was feeling exactly like it did just before my surgery last July. I may have torn by knee cap catilage (chondral flap) again. If I did, my hopes or a return to running may be over for at least the next 8-10 months (perhaps another surgery, this time most likely a micro-fracture procedure. I sure hope its just old scar tissue breaking up, still hurts like a mother today so I'm rather down in the dumps. If you have a favorite God, please pray to him/her/it for me. If I can no longer run, I guess I will give my mountain bike a run for its money! Or I will have to learn to swim a lot faster thasn I do now. Good luck to everyone, I hope your knees work better than mine do!

Dave

Well sports fans, after three weeks of riding the edge of a razor blade following my scare at Tahoe, I have returned to the trail with a sensible ramp up. Tahoe was just a heads up that I needed to train my downhill running more and strengthen my quads more too. Two weeks of very painful ART and easy hiking the trails I usually run and I was back in business (although it was super slow and carefully managed so I didn't re-injure myself) I did check the results and my painful run was not without its rewards. I was 6th overall and won my AG 40-50 by 6 minutes. My first EVER AG win.

With the Moab Trail Marathon only 3 weeks away, this past weekend was my back-to-back weekend prior to the start of my taper. I ran 9.5 miles with 3400' of elevation on Saturday and 10.2 miles with 2300' of elevation. Moab is only 3400' of elevation over 26 miles so I am confident that my body will be able to manage that with few if any issues. My only concern is that I live/train at sea level and the race will be from 4500-5000 feet.

Congrats to all who have finished, I look forward to joining your victory party in a few weeks.

PS - In my zest for running and in particular trail running I bit the bullet and signed up for the American River 50 mile trail race in April 2012. This might sound crazy, but I'm pretty excited about it already!

Dave

Moab trail marathon in 12 hours. forecast for rain/sleet/snow with a low of 31 and a high of 42. Its going to be one hell of a day! I think this one will go down in history as the most hair-brained idea I have ever actually considered doing. The wind is HOWLING at 25-45 mph in the valley and the radar is shades of blue and yellow. now off to bed with dreams of sunshine and warm temperatures.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Holy Crap that was an adventure! Weather turned out much better than predicted. EPIC views at every turn. Very technical, pretty darn hard. My goal time of 4:30 went out the window by mile 5. Finished in 5:17, spent and ready for a nap. This is a grass roots, no frills event (no finishers medals, no post race meal, no timing chips) but what it may lack in ammenities it more than makes up for with great vibes and magnificent views at every turn. If you fancy yourself a trail runner, this is a must do.

Dave

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on nailing the goal with a 2:57. Looked like a perfect day to be running
Quote Reply
Re: Fall Marathon Training Thread [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday was Marathon Day in New York City, and these folks know how to put on an event. From packet pick-up at the Javitz Center to bag retreival on Central Park West, the organization was evident and the execution was top notch.

As for my week leading up to the race, it all started with a business trip to Tampa on Tuesday. I snuck in an easy 5 mile run by my hotel on Tuesday and another 7 miler, with 2 miles at marathon pace, before my flight out on Wednesday. I did an easy 5 miler at home on Thursday and flew to New York on Friday. On Saturday morning, I had some pancakes and went for an easy 4 mile run in Central Park with a few thousand other folks.

Race day started at 4am on Sunday. I ate some cereal, had a banana, got dressed and stored my luggage with the hotel Bell Man. I wore a pair of sweats, a thermal shirt and a sweatshirt over my racing clothes. These items would later be discarded at the starting line. I also packed another pair of sweats into my clear UPS bag for pick-up after the race.

I hopped on the first marathon bus to the race venue at about 5:00am. Yes, I was one of the first in the prerace staging area. I grabbed some coffee, a bagel, dropped my clothes bag in the correct UPS truck and parked myself in front of the #5 orange corral loading gate. At 8:20am, they opened the corrals. Then, at about 9:10am they sent us up to the starting line. I was able to mix in with the #2 corral folks and position myself within 15 yards of the starting line.

At 9:40, the Mayor said that the streets of New York were ours and off we went. My goals on the bridge were to find a clear running path and get into a good rhythm. The path opened up within 2 minutes but my hamstring needed about 5 minutes to start working right. By the end of the bridge, I had partnered up with a guy named Randy that I had been talking to at the line. We were both looking to go out in about 6:30's and see where it took us.

For the next hour, that's what we did. The first three 5k splits were 20:03, 20:02, 20:09. I was having a blast. I tried to high-five every kid in Brooklyn during those first 9 miles. Somewhere between miles 9 and 10, I lost Randy as he accelerated on a downhill stretch. My fourth 5k was a little slower (20:28).

I passed the 13.1 mark in 1:25:13. And to me, that's where the New York Marathon starts. Just after the halfway point is the Pulaski bridge. It's the runners first real test. Soon thereafter comes the Queensboro Bridge. That's where I started to see people crack. At about the apex of the bridge, I passed Randy and he wished me luck. In his defense, he had just done a 2:54 marathon a couple of weeks ago and wasn't to going to push this race.

Somewhere on first Avenue, I began my slow and steady decline. My fifth and sixth 5k's were 21:09 and 21:35. I felt good enough through Mile 21, but the rest of the way was a real fight for me. I really crashed and burned here in 1995, so I told myself to maintain my pace as best I could and get to the line. My seventh and eighth 5k's were 22:05 and 23:01.

I finished in 2:57:26. 856th place overall. 809th male. 60th in my AG.

Despite my steady decline, I had a great day. It was perfect weather, perfect crowds and I even had some family members out there cheering me along the way. After the race, we all went out to a fun Brunch at PJ Clarkes.

Of my three tiered goal; break three hours, hit 2:57 and PB at 2:53:46, I hit 2 out of three. I'm very happy with the result. It's funny, I hit the McMillian calculater time, but I'm sure he would not recommend doing it that way.

Quote Reply

Prev Next