Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
FSA fail to honour warranty.
Quote | Reply
As you will have read the bottom bracket bearings failed on the non-drive side of my FSA compact carbon chainset after less than 100 miles! I took it into my lbs who sent it back for me, I dropped by the shop and was told that they would not replace it as they contend that the bearings failed due to the bb being overtightened. This is complete rubbish, I read the torque setting to the mechanic (very experienced professional bike mechanic) and watched whilst he set it on his torque wrench and tightened it.

All I can say is that I am disgusted with FSA and will not be purchasing another FSA product for any of my bikes, and would caution you to remember this when making your purchases. I wish that I had waited for the Campag Carbon compact to be released, that is the first time that I have deviated from Campag groupsets and it will be the last.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: FSA fail to honour warranty. [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ISIS?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't it take a lot of torque to overtighten a BB? I would contact FSA yourself and not rely on the shop to do it...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmm, this runs utterly contrary to all my experiences with them.

I have no problem warrantying this for you. I know FSA USA will support me here.

Give me the specifics: Type of BB, Spindle type (ISIS, Octalink, square taper) and I'll fire one of to you in tomorrow's post (it's too late here now to get it out).

Oh, even though you've done this before, please PM me your shipping address there in UK.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: FSA fail to honour warranty. [Terry in MN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry Terry ,I was a little unclear, the shop sent it to FSA or their representatives and got the stated response. I am going to find an address to contact FSA and discuss my disappointment/disgust at their attitude to the perceived acceptable longevity of their products.

Quote Reply
Re: FSA fail to honour warranty. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Tom that is most kind of you. I will send the failed one to you so that you can show the rep. Address is on the pm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just spoke to my buddy Ryan at J&B Imports in Fort Wayne, Indiana. He has the BB and has shipped it. It will be here tomorrow, and on its way to you tomorrow afternoon..... I hope.

All the best,

Tom.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: FSA fail to honour warranty. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yeah Tom and his self serving posts have just got to stop..oh look everyone Tom sells FSA stuff too.

First guy to jump on Tom the next time he posts anything about anything related to his business needs to be taken out back and given a talk to TSR style. And I'd wager there is more than onoe person willing to do it...and not just because of this type of post (or the hero thread post...or the...you get the point). Not like he needed anyones approval but this puts the nail in the coffin for future comments in my book.
Tom rules!
Quote Reply
Re: FSA fail to honour warranty. [Kentiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Three cheers for Tom...hip hip.....hip hip.....hip hip.....hooray.

fka: bassman

After the swim, I'm a fish outta water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FSA should square you away, it may be your countries distributors are on the hook for warranties and it isn't their reputation getting tarnished.

You are a lightweight and may appreciate this if you want to avoid the FSA route.

http://host168.ipowerweb.com/~hyperbol/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=31&osCsid=52c537f85ebeeea5e8897a5fe6411f45

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Kent, how can you fail to appreciate the level of service that Tom brings to the table day after day? That is the kind of service that America had a reprutation for 15-20 years ago and was the shining example that was admired in the rest of the world. Outside of Dearborn (in my limited experience) it is not still there!

Quote Reply
Re: FSA fail to honour warranty. [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Dave, I'm sure you meant "you are a lightweight" in a nice way and commenting on my mass and not drinking ability ;-). I just looked at the link and although I can interpret the stats, I need you to tell me what makes this such a good bb or is it personal experience?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have an experience with it other than it has low mass like the FSA. Being nearly 100kg prevents me from using such and item, just thought I'd point you to an alternative.

I think FSA is working on some external bearing BB's a la Dura Ace which should improve longevity.

In terms of mass, you are light, perhaps bantam.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kentiger wrote: First guy to jump on Tom the next time he posts anything about anything related to his business needs to be taken out back and given a talk to TSR style.

I'm with you!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically it works like this:

Tom calls the FSA guys and says "listen, you guys failed to honor a warranty and now this guy who's fairly known in an internet Forum that is read by 40000 people worldwide per day is bad mouthing you. As this might make you more bad than good, and on the long run you guys might end up losing more money than the value of one BB, why don't you give him a new BB and everybody looks good on this."

IF the FSA guys are smart, they'll send Tom a new BB for Julian. If not, Tom will front the BB, it's not a big deal. It's a win-win-win situation.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: FSA fail to honour warranty. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SAC, I thought bad mouthing was, basically lying. Go back and check my post, nothing but facts there!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Julian

I suspect you may have misunderstood Kent. As I read it, Kent was posting tongue-in-cheek. He was essentially saying that those people that critique Tom for talking about the products he sells fail to see how that can also work FOR people on this forum...for instance Tom was able to pull strings to help you out.

It would appear everyone here is in violent agreement. Glad to see the cranks are going to work out for you.
Quote Reply
Re: FSA fail to honour warranty. [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
THanks Dave for those kind words. I will remember that link for future reference, if needed. Interesting that FSA are looking at external bearings, a pretty good way of being able to use bigger bearings!

Quote Reply
Re: FSA fail to honour warranty. [mfreeman72] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nah, I got his point, just that I didn't put it too clearly. You will have to do what I did and go back and re-read it. It is confusing because I used "you" instead of "one" because I thought I might get ripped into for correct use of the English language instead of post-modern Amercian English ;-)!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If bad-mouthing=lying then it was a poor choice of words, english is not my native language, yada, yada, yada... no question you're right in this matter.

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: FSA fail to honour warranty. [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Muito Bem!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If Julian is in the UK, then he should contact the FSA European Office for any warranty concerns.

I would email Claudio@fullspeedahead.com. He is very helpfull. He is Italy.

The FSA US headquarters generally do not handle any warranty claims from outside the US.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, this is a distributor problem. what country? UK? is there a strong customer service orientation in the bike industry here? maybe it's a cultural thing, or a problem with that distributor.

there are other component companies that ENTIRELY fit the profile you've painted. that is, bigger companies. but this is not the FSA experience i've had.

it's also not the bearing experience i've had. i've been using FSA BBs for years, first their squarehole w/my stronglight cranks, then splined with FSA cranks, haven't had a problem with any of them yet.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: FSA fail to honour warranty. [Aeroguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did send an e mail to FSA that day. I got a response from Claudio to send it to them re evaluation, that will be expensive for me. I do feel that it is only fair to do so, even if Tom is honouring the warrenty for me. IT could be embarressing if I end up with two bb's though. I think you can see my point.

Dan, it was interesting to hear the comments about the ISIS bb's from the poster who used to work for FSA on warrenty I thought?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Dan, it was interesting to hear the comments about the ISIS bb's from the poster who used to work for FSA on warrenty I thought"

i'm not disputing anyone's experience. i'm only commenting on my own. fsa's bbs came in very handy when i wanted to ride a certain crank, but could find no compatible bbs, and then there was fsa filling in the gap. and, i'm now riding compact and have had no problem. maybe there's a difference between isis and octalink. don't know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next