Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

FIRE Displaced triathletes, Big Bear + surrounding areas
Quote | Reply
Over 90,000 people have been evauacated from Big bear and the surrounding mountains. I'm sure many of you are triathletes, possibly stuck in giant refugee centers. You are welcome here in Xantusia, so far the air has stayed clean, and the fires are blocked by the local mountains. We are about an hour from Arrowhead, and can house a good number of people, and if you have an RV then there is plenty of room. If interested, just answer this email and I will give directions. Our thoughts up here are with you all in the danger zone......Monty and Slowman

I would just like to add that triathletes from the Simi Valley and Santa Clarita Fires are also welcome. Both areas are about an hour from here.......

I'm sad to say that I just saw on the news that Hesperia is now being evaucated also. Those triathletes in that area are about an hour north- east from us. You are also welcome....
Last edited by: monty: Oct 29, 03 15:06
Quote Reply
Re: FIRE Displaced triathletes, Big Bear + surrounding areas [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's what the sport is all about!! very thoughtful.

Mick
Quote Reply
Re: FIRE Displaced triathletes, Big Bear + surrounding areas [Micky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oddly enough, some of the areas already devastated and currently burning (Ramona, Cuyamaca, Julian) in San Diego County were outlined last year by Slowman in his description of great alpine century rides of Southern California.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...nturies.html#sunrise

I've done this ride a couple of times over the past year and it does cross through some beautiful areas (it also includes a dreadful amount of climbing but that's a different story). It'll be interesting and of course sad to see how the landscape has changed due to the fires.

Zuikis
Quote Reply
Re: FIRE Displaced triathletes, Big Bear + surrounding areas [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very cool. Has anyone shown up at your door yet?
Quote Reply
Re: FIRE Displaced triathletes, Big Bear + surrounding areas [Ariel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not yet, but it's possible that many who have fled are not online right now. Hopefully a friend, or a glance at this site at work will alert those in need of a safe place to stay. It is the least we can do for now, and after this is all over,we will be looking for other ways to help those that lost their homes in this disaster......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very kind. I have passed this message on to the Inland Inferno Tri Club message board. We have several members who have been displaced by the fires. So far all have found temporary housing. Let's hope their permanent housing remains.

Thanks,
Gary Mc
Inland Inferno Tri Club

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: FIRE Displaced triathletes, Big Bear + surrounding areas [zuikis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It kills me. I did a midnight century ride from Borrego Springs to the Solana Beach a few weeks ago during a full moon. We rode through Julian and Ramona and through a ton of other areas that were destroyed by the fires. That part of the state is so fantastic. This fire sucks.
Quote Reply