Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Extension mount width with integrated hydration - impact on aero?
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of setting up a new cockpit on my P5 with Aeria Ultimate Stem/Hydration and 3T Vola bars. The extensions can be set at two widths. In the narrow setting, the extensions are right up against the bottle, toughing the side of it. Is there an aero benefit to using the wide setting to allow air to flow between the bottle and extension? Or is it better to crowd everything into a smaller space? I tend to keep my hand position close together, but I can angle the extensions to the same width at the other end with Gamma 24 extensions.

Might be slitting hairs, but if we're talking 3+ W then it's a hair worth splitting for a something so simple.

This question may apply to Canyon and Cube systems which have this type of hydration, as well.

Narrow:

Wide:

Quote Reply
Re: Extension mount width with integrated hydration - impact on aero? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was a video I saw on YouTube about aero positioning (now there's a scientific study for you) that showed a slight saving in watts, when the riders fingers where separated. There was no comparable study or video that I found of what sort of watts were saved (if any) on a single (one hand over the other) grip.

that's all I've got.
Quote Reply
Re: Extension mount width with integrated hydration - impact on aero? [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I'll consider separating my hands a bit. Maybe that logic would extend to creating a gap between the bottle and extensions, too
Quote Reply
Re: Extension mount width with integrated hydration - impact on aero? [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say narrow would be more aero but the flatter your extensions are which you seem to be the less difference it would make. If you are angling them up more mantis style it would be definitely more aero being narrow.
Quote Reply