Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance.
Quote | Reply
Hi aero weenies,

This is the front end of my 3T Strada. How many watts am I giving up with this bit of brake hose in its current position? Should it be further off to the side? Should I sell this 1X early-adopter dead-end and get a Venge?

txs,
Alex

Last edited by: alexZA: Jul 8, 18 3:57
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [alexZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This post is so Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not so slowtwitch until people start fighting about my garage; like the merits of timber versus aluminium doors.
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
This post is so Slowtwitch.

Hah, nailed it.
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
edited for clarity lol.
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [alexZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your seat is to high
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Based on the brake testing I did in my small wind tunnel, I would leave the cable where it is. It looks like it would be difficult to get it far enough away from the head tube for air to pass easily between them (especially at yaw), whereas having it in front of the head tube might actually reduce drag vs. no cable at all.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Jul 8, 18 5:48
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much. I’d totally forgotten about your wind tunnel—it was awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two victories for the Venge in a row at the TdF. I hate this slow as f#ck 3T bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got a response from Gerard, too, on the 3T blog:

https://blog.3t.bike/...-on-limited-edition/

"Gerard Vroomen says:08 July 2018

Hi Alex, there is a small aero penalty but we haven’t really seen an internal cable solution that we like yet."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the low low price of $13,250, you can get Sagan’s bike too!
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mate that is a total bargain for the 7 watts I'll save. What do you have against expensive speed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is maybe a 2/10 on the Kiley scale.
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need a lesson in viral threads. I thought I was doing it right:

disc baiting
1x baiting
watts per $

Seems not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's not nearly enough specific complaints backed with hard, anecdotal data coupled with flowery, yet surprisingly biting vocabulary choices, all of which make the reader feel both dumber for not quite understanding what is being said and yet more empowered to make better equipment choices.

Keep trying.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they are going to go so far and run the brake hose through the fork why didn't they invest a few more dollars and run the hose through the steering tube as well?
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
Your seat is to high

as?
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
If they are going to go so far and run the brake hose through the fork why didn't they invest a few more dollars and run the hose through the steering tube as well?

Adds a lot to assembly time as well as upping the inventory needs for stems and bars that are pretty much custom to your brand.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A couple of watts pale in comparison to the time you will lose when you drop your chain in key moments of the race.

Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How would running the hose through the steering tube require a different stem or bars?

Either route it down to the fork from the bars or route it up and over to the stem cap. Make a stem cap and steering tube plug that accepts the hose.
Last edited by: jaretj: Jul 9, 18 10:41
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I reckon that 3T wanted to do an integrated front end but couldn't do the bar/stem R&D in time for this frame. They're a pretty small company, so prob couldn't spare the resources. It makes no sense otherwise. I've no doubt that they'll release a Strada 2 in the next year that has an integrated front end. Then my bike will be worth even less than it is now on the second hand market.
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden the bike for like 10 months including some very rough surfaces. Not one dropped chain. I'm using a Shimano XT derailleur.
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [7401southwick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7401southwick wrote:
Your seat is to high

*too high
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And, if you read the article, you will understand the 1x set up was not the likely cause of that dropped chain. I have never dropped a chain in a 1x but have several times in 2x.
Quote Reply
Re: Exposed cabling and 3T Strada post-purchase dissonance. [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I must have missed the point when this thread actually became serious.

Quote Reply

Prev Next