Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Experiences with Cateye 3DX or Polar S510
Quote | Reply
I'm looking for Heartrate monitors/Cycle computers with cadence. The new cateye 3DX looks great. Performance has it on sale for $139 (about $100 cheaper than the S510). The cateye doesn't have wireless cadence, but other posts have indicated difficulties with Polar's wireless cadence. The Cateye also has user replaceable batteries in both the head unit and the transmitter- a big plus! A really good description of the Cateye can be found here: http://www.branfordbike.com/heart/heart16.html

I'm not really concerned with the software aspects and computer interfaces of either monitor. Just want something that works consistently.

Any input on either (or other) model/s would be appreciated.

Sweet
Quote Reply
Polar S510 ...I have to give it a thumbs down[Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The key issue about the S510 is two fold - one, it is attached to a dead end downloading software... which means, if you have a current log system and it's not PC coach, then you will have to change to PC Coach and start over or enter data manually into your current log (the only exception that I know of is - CrossTrak). The data is not transferable nor can you exchange via generic txt files (CrossTrak Premium version as of last month will allow generic file creation and edit).

The second is the infamous data destructive "red button"?

If you don't mind have your detail data lost by ...:

... throwing a wet suit over your forearm with your watch...walk (say) a
mile juggling the typical race gear on the way to your car.
... reaching between your seat to get something you drop.
... digging into your tri-bag looking for something you need after a race.
... putting on a sweat shirt that happens to be tight around the wrists.
... storing the watch in a bag...it get's jiggled around and red button
is pushed
... and the list can go on... and on.

Do any of the above common activities and the probability of loosing all your detail data is high. Yep, just do anything that will press the red button after finishing a race or training session and your detail data is poof, G-O-N-E, lost, history...period.

The S510 Polar HRM will through simple acts of wearing the watch will result in inadvertently removing all detail data.

Also, it's not uncommon for a lap time to be inadvertently created by simply removing a top or wetsuit. Basicly, the Red Button is a fundamental design flaw. While the red button designed was an attempt to easily create lap times, also became it's curse.

This is a fundamental design flaw and it's weak downloading software platform makes it a poor choice. If your going to go with a Polar wireless system, (although. I think in only a few months you'll wish you would have bought the Timex BodyLink system) I'd suggest the S710.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Experiences with Cateye 3DX or Polar S510 [Sweet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had the polar s510 for about 13 months. The software is truly horrible, but I understand the newer ones come with Polar Precision Software which is pretty good. I called them and requested a copy and they sent it to me.

I don't understand the red button issue. I've never had a problem with it.

I've also never had a problem with the wireless cadence. I've got a 60cm bike with the watch mounted on the aerobars. I strapped on the cadence sensor and it worked like a charm. On the other hand, the speed sensor was a nightmare to get working the first time, but ever since it has worked flawlessly.

If I had to do it over again, I'd get the 710 or 720 so that I could download multiple files and have the power option in the future.

One great thing about the polar, you can program in interval training sessions with HR limits, speed limits, etc. and it will work for running and cycling.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar S510 ...I have to give it a thumbs down [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If my idea of workout analysis amounts to drinking some beers with the guys after a workout and saying, "damn, you guys really dropped me on the hills", then will the red button be that much of a problem? The data analysis functions sound wowie, neato, but I know I won't have the time or patience to download workout data. It seems alot of the complaints from the S510 stem from the software and the redbutton issues. I'm looking for something that will give me consistent current data and maybe ave. heart rate or time spent in zone at the end of a workout.

I'm really hoping to hear from someone that has used the new cateye.

sweet
Quote Reply