Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Expensive Bike Travel Cases in CANADA
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know a good place to buy bike travel cases in Canada? The prices locally are outrageous - from C$595 @ MEC to C$650 at other outlets + shipping and taxes! Almost 50% more here than in the US - not including our ridiculous sales tax. Used is fine - I just don't want to have to mortgage the house to buy a bike box!
Quote Reply
Re: Expensive Bike Travel Cases in CANADA [cowtippers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Might as well have a friend in the US buy it and then have them ship it to you.
Quote Reply
Re: Expensive Bike Travel Cases in CANADA [Terry in MN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are lots of places that will rent them as well. Might be worth it if you don't travel over twice a year?
I know of a few in southern ontario that do if you need a list
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out http://www.eventsonline.ca/events/bikebag/

It's a bike "bag" that goes for $349 (CAN $). Only gotcha is that you have to pick it up in Ottawa, otherwise shipping can cost upwards of $70.

...Joe
Quote Reply
Re: Expensive Bike Travel Cases in CANADA [JRadench] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would be terrified to give the UPS a bag instead of the hard case. Remember the Samsonite Gorilla? That is who I assume handles my bags all the time. Looks like a good option if you are moving the bike yourself in a van or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in Canada too and I have experienced the same ridiculous prices.

My advice...try ebay. I saw some pretty good deals on there for used and new ones. All of the postings were in the US but it was still significantly cheaper.

I looked today and there are Trico's for under $250US ($300 CDN). I think that is a great deal.

http://search.ebay.com/...W0QQsojsZ1QQfromZR40

Quote | Reply
Try CDI Sports from Oakville Ontario. Hard Carrying cases for $279.00 Canadian. They also fold for easier storage. Great testimonials for this case.

http://www.cdisports.com/carrying_cases.htm

www.cdisports.com

Be carefull shipping up from the USA, you can get hit pretty hard with shipping, duty if paper work not filled out correctly, brokerage fees, and taxes. Have a friend who bought a used 1999 Cannondale T800 on ebay from a US seller. Thought he was getting a good deal at $600.00. By the time it went through customs, cost him $1,000.00 CAD. When he received it he found out the gearing had been changed and shifted poorly.He could have bought a 2004 model for $1,500.00 locally. Be prepared to pay at least $50.00 USD if you buy a case in the USA and have it shipped to Canada.

Zane
Last edited by: zane: Mar 16, 05 12:39
Quote Reply
Re: Expensive Bike Travel Cases in CANADA [zane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That seems outrageously expensive for a cardboard case. I cannot see that lasting the life of a Trico.

Quote | Reply
Zane,

Hmm .. those CDI cases look like heavy cardboard to me -- nothing to compare to a Trico Ironcase for example ....

rmur
Quote Reply
Re: Expensive Bike Travel Cases in CANADA [AJHull] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Adrian

Not cardboard. Made from a material called CORR-X which is a corrugated plastic. The corrugations give it the strength while keeping it light. It will last you many years. Inside is an ingenious CORR-X rigid frame plate with tie down slots and 6 hook and loop straps for frame, handlebar, helmet, seat & post and pedal, and another for the wheels.

Read the following testimonials for a piece of mind.

http://www.crateworks.com/...eset.html?page=forum then click on reviews

We've had great response since we've brought it into Canada.

Zane
Last edited by: zane: Mar 16, 05 13:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend has one of these. They are actually impressive for the dollars. Her box has been to IMAustralia, IMCanada x2, and Kona x2. Still in great condition, and the bike is very safe.
Quote Reply
Re: Expensive Bike Travel Cases in CANADA [zane] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take back what I said. After reading these reviews I am seriously considering this.

I like the idea that the box folds away for easy storage.

Seems like a great product.

Last edited by: AJHull: Mar 16, 05 16:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought two tricos, both second hand off the tribc website. Check regularly especially in the fall when they tend to come up for sale. I paid between 200-230 and both in great condition.

The new prices are crazy especially bearing in mind the current exchange rate, in fact in Vancouver the prices for bike stuff is generally not very competitive at all. Almost worth going down to Supergo in Seattle.