Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Exchanging my new Wahoo Kickr for the Kickr Roller + Powerlink pedals
Quote | Reply
I've been using a Computrainer since 2014 when I started triathlon. I recently purchased the Wahoo Kickr KICKR Smart Trainer | Indoor Bicycle Trainer | Wahoo Fitness so I could use Fulgaz and ride some of the Ironman courses.

I am not liking the feel of the new Kickr. It doesn't feel smooth like the computrainer. And it makes my knees ache. I can return it within 30 days and have a little over a week to decide for sure if I want send it back.

I am thinking of getting the Kickr Roller with the Powerlink pedals instead. I got to try the Kickr Roller at my recent bike fit and I liked it. I am assuming with the Powerlink pedals I can still hook up to Zwift and Fulgaz. Is that correct?

Anyone have the Roller and pedals? KICKR ROLLR + POWRLINK ZERO Single-Sided Power Pedal Bundle | Wahoo Fitness And do you like the combination? Has this set up worked for you?

I am one of the few people who does Ironman w/o a power meter so thinking this would give me the opportunity to try one out. (5 Ironmans and 12 HIMs under my belt so not really a newbie here)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Exchanging my new Wahoo Kickr for the Kickr Roller + Powerlink pedals [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can't see why it wouldn't work with zwift/fulgaz and you should get all the smart power benefits for simulation/erg mode, etc.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Exchanging my new Wahoo Kickr for the Kickr Roller + Powerlink pedals [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seriously no one uses the kickr rollr or hasn't liked the wahoo kickr?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ride feel of the Rollr is pretty good, but it has two disadvantages. It's noisy compared to wheel off trainers and it's slow to react (so not ideal if Zwift racing is your intended use case). For your average triathlete training program (with a greater focus on steady state and 2-8min intervals), it's effective and practical.

Either way, you need to work back from how you want/like-to train and choose the device that matches. For many, eye-balls out on Zwift is what they want from an indoor trainer and the Rollr is not ideal for this. However, if you live with cold winters and want to log lots of miles with some quality long intervals then the Rollr has some movement and feels less constrained in how the resistance is applied.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had a Kickr, then a Core and now a Rollr, and I much prefer riding on the Rollr. I had knee surgery two years ago and the riding the Rollr is way more comfortable due to the near natural movement of the rear wheel. I now ride it on an old road bike with a PT hub, but have used TP P1 pedals and a SRAM Rival PM and the power numbers have been consistent. Mainly use Zwift but have used RGT and Rouvy without any problems.

You don't even need a PM as they recently added Virtual power. Also tested this on Zwift and it works, not perfectly, but it works.

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/11874201237010-Using-ROLLR-without-a-power-meter-virtual-power-

Yes, the Rollr is a touch louder than my Core was but my wife says it is not very much louder and it passed her noise test. There is some tire wear to factor in, so I just use old tires. It's also a bit slower to react but I don't notice that any more as I am now used to it.

But the winning part is the ease of switching bikes. My wife has started on Zwift and she can pop on her bike in less than 30 seconds. I plan to use my tri bike next year when I start racing again.

Never used a CT so I can't compare it, but I am more than happy with my Rollr. Not sponsored by Wahoo but can get special details through their local manager who is a close friend.

Keren
https://www.triathlonintokyo.org/
https://quintanarootri.com/ https://en-jp.wahoofitness.com/ https://www.worldtriathlonstore.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Exchanging my new Wahoo Kickr for the Kickr Roller + Powerlink pedals [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:
The ride feel of the Rollr is pretty good, but it has two disadvantages. It's noisy compared to wheel off trainers and it's slow to react (so not ideal if Zwift racing is your intended use case). For your average triathlete training program (with a greater focus on steady state and 2-8min intervals), it's effective and practical.

Either way, you need to work back from how you want/like-to train and choose the device that matches. For many, eye-balls out on Zwift is what they want from an indoor trainer and the Rollr is not ideal for this. However, if you live with cold winters and want to log lots of miles with some quality long intervals then the Rollr has some movement and feels less constrained in how the resistance is applied.

Thanks, I didn't really notice the noise when doing a bike fit and riding the Wahoo Rollr but wasn't really paying attention to the noise factor either. I don't race or do group stuff on Zwift. I ride alone and even sometimes change my Wifi to Airplane mode to avoid other riders. I use Zwift for workouts from my coach and that's where I train with power. Not the best use of Zwift but I am a lone wolf and do my own thing. And not many other options to use with my Computrainer

Quote Reply
Re: Exchanging my new Wahoo Kickr for the Kickr Roller + Powerlink pedals [Tri-K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-K wrote:
I have had a Kickr, then a Core and now a Rollr, and I much prefer riding on the Rollr. I had knee surgery two years ago and the riding the Rollr is way more comfortable due to the near natural movement of the rear wheel. I now ride it on an old road bike with a PT hub, but have used TP P1 pedals and a SRAM Rival PM and the power numbers have been consistent. Mainly use Zwift but have used RGT and Rouvy without any problems.

You don't even need a PM as they recently added Virtual power. Also tested this on Zwift and it works, not perfectly, but it works.

https://support.wahoofitness.com/hc/en-us/articles/11874201237010-Using-ROLLR-without-a-power-meter-virtual-power-

Yes, the Rollr is a touch louder than my Core was but my wife says it is not very much louder and it passed her noise test. There is some tire wear to factor in, so I just use old tires. It's also a bit slower to react but I don't notice that any more as I am now used to it.

But the winning part is the ease of switching bikes. My wife has started on Zwift and she can pop on her bike in less than 30 seconds. I plan to use my tri bike next year when I start racing again.

Never used a CT so I can't compare it, but I am more than happy with my Rollr. Not sponsored by Wahoo but can get special details through their local manager who is a close friend.

Glad it works with Zwift. Doesn't have to be perfect as I don't race or do group rides. And happy to hear power pedals are not needed but still might be a good option as I have been wanting to get a power meter for a while now but not convinced it will change the way I race and how hard I will ride in a race.

The Computrainer is smooth like silk compared to the Kickr. My knees feel 90% better on my Computrainer. Maybe I just stick with it and not worry about Fulgaz or the IM courses. A few of them get stuck/screen freezes and then I lose the workout. Happened a couple of times already. I've never lost a workout on Zwift after over 2 years of using it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dumb question, but what do you have the trainer difficulty set to on the Kickr? That may have something to do with the abruptness you're experiencing.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This interests me a great deal, because I also have knee pain using resistance trainers vs none on the road.

If you end up getting the rollr, I'd love to hear how it went. Regarding your computrainer, is there something in the setup that's different than the kickr that would explain less knee issues?
Quote Reply
Re: Exchanging my new Wahoo Kickr for the Kickr Roller + Powerlink pedals [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:
Dumb question, but what do you have the trainer difficulty set to on the Kickr? That may have something to do with the abruptness you're experiencing.

Not a dumb question at all. Being new to modern smart trainers after 9 years on a Computrainer, I didn't know there was a difficulty setting. My husband set up the Kickr. I'll have him check this out. Someone else suggested this to me yesterday (not on the forum). That would explain why it feels so uneven and difficult to ride in a smooth manner like the Computrainer. I'll report back...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're using a Kickr in ERG mode, it's almost always a good call to start spinning up just BEFORE the banner in-game on Zwift to help make sure you stay in the cadence range you want for the upcoming interval -- that helps smooth it out a bit and avoids the dreaded ERG death spiral that happens from time to time.

If you're free-riding in Zwift, I always use the 50% setting. Yes, it means that it's not "as realistic" as being outside from a grade difficulty. No, I don't care -- there's nothing that really, truly mimics riding outside and getting punched in the face by, say, Lincoln Gap.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

Not a dumb question at all. Being new to modern smart trainers after 9 years on a Computrainer, I didn't know there was a difficulty setting. My husband set up the Kickr. I'll have him check this out. Someone else suggested this to me yesterday (not on the forum). That would explain why it feels so uneven and difficult to ride in a smooth manner like the Computrainer. I'll report back...

I know what you're talking about regarding the smoothness. No, the Kickr is not as silky buttery smooth as a Fluid2 or KurtKinectic, or Computrainer. It's not, and no setting on the Kickr or zwift will change that.

The upside though - ride your Kickr for 2 weeks and you'll completely forget about that buttery smoothness. It'll feel completely smooth and fine to you. That super silky smoothness you get from some on-wheel bike trainers is artificial - there are no roads outdoors that possibly give that level of smoothness. The Kickr actually rides a lot more smoothly than pretty much any real world outdoor road.

So forget about perfection and comparing to 'the best' in smoothness, and just go with the Kickr - you'll get all the benefits and none of the negatives, as you will rapidly forget you ever complained about the smoothness. (I only remember it because you brought it up, but since you did I remember having the same though - should I return the Kickr because my Fluid2 felt so much smoother? Glad I didn't!)
Quote Reply
Re: Exchanging my new Wahoo Kickr for the Kickr Roller + Powerlink pedals [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

I know what you're talking about regarding the smoothness. No, the Kickr is not as silky buttery smooth as a Fluid2 or KurtKinectic, or Computrainer. It's not, and no setting on the Kickr or zwift will change that.

The upside though - ride your Kickr for 2 weeks and you'll completely forget about that buttery smoothness. It'll feel completely smooth and fine to you. That super silky smoothness you get from some on-wheel bike trainers is artificial - there are no roads outdoors that possibly give that level of smoothness. The Kickr actually rides a lot more smoothly than pretty much any real world outdoor road.

So forget about perfection and comparing to 'the best' in smoothness, and just go with the Kickr - you'll get all the benefits and none of the negatives, as you will rapidly forget you ever complained about the smoothness. (I only remember it because you brought it up, but since you did I remember having the same though - should I return the Kickr because my Fluid2 felt so much smoother? Glad I didn't!)

Like I mentioned in my first post, my knees ache badly riding on the Kickr. That is the main issue for me. I changed back to the Computrainer this past Wed and knee pain gone and felt so good. I have to decide soon whether to send it back or not as I'm getting close to the 30 days. No way of knowing if the knee pain will subside. Both knees hate the Kickr.

Thinking the Wahoo Rollr might be the best option with the power pedals but would love to hear from someone who has this set up with both the Rollr and Powerlink pedals

ETA I gave the Kickr more than 2 weeks

Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Sep 15, 23 9:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, knee pain isn't a good thing and a different issue than 'smoothness'. Not sure why the Kickr makes it worse for you compared to the Computrainer or outdoors but sounds like it's a sticking problem for you with the Kickr then, unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Re: Exchanging my new Wahoo Kickr for the Kickr Roller + Powerlink pedals [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Yes, knee pain isn't a good thing and a different issue than 'smoothness'. Not sure why the Kickr makes it worse for you compared to the Computrainer or outdoors but sounds like it's a sticking problem for you with the Kickr then, unfortunately.

If I didn't get the knee pain, I could live with it. But really don't like it compared to the Computrainer. There is so much going on when riding outside that I don't really think of smoothness or lack of it when outside on the tri bike. (back on the roads a few more times, otherwise I'm mostly an indoor tri bike rider). But inside I notice everything, big and small issues alike.

Quote Reply
Re: Exchanging my new Wahoo Kickr for the Kickr Roller + Powerlink pedals [Tri-K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have read that the Rollr is hard on tires (wears them out quickly). Do you find this to be the case? Is there a tire you would recommend for use on the Rollr? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Rollr paired to my Quarq and prefer it over the kickr due to logging a lot of indoor ride time vs short intervals. I've had a kickr since 2014 and ended up testing the Rollr for Wahoo about two years ago and decided to keep it as my full time trainer instead of the wheel off kickr. It just feels like more of a road ride as some others mentioned.
Quote Reply
Re: Exchanging my new Wahoo Kickr for the Kickr Roller + Powerlink pedals [Gtjojo189] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gtjojo189 wrote:
I have the Rollr paired to my Quarq and prefer it over the kickr due to logging a lot of indoor ride time vs short intervals. I've had a kickr since 2014 and ended up testing the Rollr for Wahoo about two years ago and decided to keep it as my full time trainer instead of the wheel off kickr. It just feels like more of a road ride as some others mentioned.

Funny that you just posted this. I finally purchased the Wahoo Rollr along with the Powerlink pedals yesterday and it says I should have it by Saturday. I sent back my Kickr in September. Then I went to Kona, came back and had to re-group, recover. Now I'm finally trying to get back into a training regimen and can't wait for the Rollr. I got to try one during a bike fit this past summer so I know how it feels. Really nice indoor riding experience. I was told via chat with a Wahoo agent that I could still do workouts on Zwift with the power link pedals which have power while riding on the Rollr.

Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Nov 30, 23 9:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m surprised that you did not like the kicker more than computrainer as it has a way heavier flywheel and eliminates the slipping tire issue.

I have used the inside ride e motion rollers for 15 years and like them a lot. You might like them or the tru trainer rollers they are easy to ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

That is an important point. Take that slider and set the Trainer difficulty to the easiest setting and see if that helps. That thing should be a much smoother feeling trainer than your old one
Quote Reply
Re: Exchanging my new Wahoo Kickr for the Kickr Roller + Powerlink pedals [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve just started using the basic elite rollers with the 3 level resistance. Actually really enjoying the change, and they are fine for most sessions at the minute since I’m not training mostly under 400watts. Haven’t had the direto out once this winter and not sure if I will.

Interesting trying to take a drink on rollers, or mop up sweat, fix earbuds etc. had a terrifying session due to some unexpected explosive sneezing too.
Quote Reply