Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Everesting....tips and tricks?
Quote | Reply
Looking into doing an everest attempt early in the summer. Thought I would see if anyone here has attempted and/or completed an effort like this. Looking for any advice on does and don’t s for the day!

Thanks in advance

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Re: Everesting....tips and tricks? [Leavitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did 82 times up a 350 ft hill a couple years ago.

What I learned

You have lots of time to eat and drink. Don't worry about getting enough - just make sure it's there and eat and drink plenty.

Pickle juice was a big help in the second half. Anything with sugar just jacked up my HR and it took hours to come down. Soup is great and warming.

I'd recommend not to use a big climb. Your legs tend to lock up and cool down too much on the descent. If the descent is longer than 5 mins this is a risk. 5-600 ft climbing would be ideal for me.

Pay attention to the turnaround points, these are the most dangerous spots.

Try to choose a day with little traffic. I did mine on July 4th weekend. Traditionally very quiet where I lived - people usually for out of town or went to distant fireworks shows - avoid or be very careful if the route might have drunk drivers though.

Bring extra chamois cream and change your bibs halfway through. Your ass will thank you.

Don't mess around with your bike or fit. Ride what you know.

Set a maximum target HR and don't go above this. I set 140 bpm for a threshold of 165 bpm. Kept most of the ride below 130 bpm.

Start at 3 am and ride in darkness for a couple of hours. With a bit of luck you will only have to ride a couple of hours of darkness at the end.

Enjoy. The best part was observing the crepuscular creatures and the way the day, weather and light changed over the ride. You're going to get lonely at some stage. Slug some pickle juice and a treat, maybe a shot of whiskey, to get you over this.
Quote Reply
Re: Everesting....tips and tricks? [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow...chapeau to you. I honestly thought he meant doing it over a summer, not all in one go!

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:

I'd recommend not to use a big climb. Your legs tend to lock up and cool down too much on the descent

Underrated comment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's bloody hard and I only went 2/3s of the way.
Another $20,000 for the rest of the way.
Fly over it's cheaper and the scenery is better.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done two, both on 13-15 minute climbs.
A few things I picked up from the first that meant the second took three hours less.
1. Don't stop riding unless you have to. Every time you stop means it takes longer.
2. Don't tell people you are doing it. Stopping for a chat or getting out of your rhythm when you are riding just takes longer.
3. Real food tastes great in the second half. Crisps were also a winner.
4. Prep so that you don't need to be stuffing around filling bottles and so on as much as possible. Have filled bottles ready as much as possible to keep it ticking along.
5. Even when you feel shattered with 3000 or so to go (that happened to me both times) you can just keep going if you need to.
6. I started the second one a few hours before sunrise. That helped as by the time it was light I had some good vertical distance already up and mentally it felt like I was just starting.
That's about it I guess. To be honest it was harder than I thought it would be, but doable.
Quote Reply
Re: Everesting....tips and tricks? [toecutter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How many hours in the saddle are we looking at?
Quote Reply
Re: Everesting....tips and tricks? [lassekk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The first one was 15, the second 12.
The first one was on a steeper hill, and it was wet which didn't help.
The second one was better planned. I think it averaged about 9-10%, steady all the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the other tips on here.

This is a fun post from a bloke who did it up and down a far bigger (than recommended on here) hill. Some meticulous planning and an interesting insight into the mental side of things.

https://cyclingtips.com/...mt-everest-in-a-day/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carlosflanders wrote:
Bring extra chamois cream and change your bibs halfway through. Your ass will thank you.
Set a maximum target HR and don't go above this. I set 140 bpm for a threshold of 165 bpm. Kept most of the ride below 130 bpm.
Start at 3 am and ride in darkness for a couple of hours. With a bit of luck you will only have to ride a couple of hours of darkness at the end.
Enjoy. The best part was observing the crepuscular creatures and the way the day, weather and light changed over the ride. You're going to get lonely at some stage.

True to this.

I started just after midnight, was the best.

Quote:
Ride Report: arrived around midnight & setup 'base camp'. Started the ascent before 1am. The reason was to try avoid the heat later in the day, and finish before sunset. That didn't end up happening. Miscalculated the no. of laps required (thought 55, ended up being 62).

Pretty surreal riding in the dark for so long. Lights managed to stay on the whole time. A cop car slowed to a stop around 3am likely wondering wth was going on, but drove away. Sunrise was at 4.52am which brought a kick of energy but also dread—the sun was up. Temp's peaked at (29C/84F) but it felt hotter than that. Avg temp for the ride 27C!

Started alright but struggled to get a rhythm. Lots of stop/starts restocking. The hottest parts saw lap times drop and break times increase. In the end the heat blew things out a bit.

The amount of fuel & liquids required was ridiculous: Pasta bake, Raisin toast, 5 bananas, 14 clif bars, 10 blueberry banana muffins, 3 oranges, bowl of oats, mango slices, & a few lollies. Consumed about 12L of water mixed with Endura. Around 16-20 bottles, n' a coke.

Misc; the last celebratory lap I decided to smash it out-mouth/lips started to tingle/go numb! Breathing also tends to hurt. Nearly gagged about 10 times because the stomach was so full of liquid and constant eating of food. Animals; 2m long snake, possum, and Gallah's. Saw several riders get punctures from glass, spoke failure.

I rate the night ride, beat the heat at that point which was the biggest sapper. Also it blurs into one thing... music playlist as well. I had that all lined up with appropriate music at various times.

Kept HRM low AF as much as possible until last lap I unleashed.

I could have kept going to 10k vert but had my family there etc. and I'd taken longer than meant to, had gotten dark again. So would have been a big slap in the face ha.
Quote Reply
Re: Everesting....tips and tricks? [toecutter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toecutter wrote:
The second one was better planned. I think it averaged about 9-10%, steady all the way.

Yeah that is a lot of hours!

Looking over this idea, i realise i live in a country which can not provide a 500 feet hill within 2-3 hours driving range, guess i will just miss out ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lassekk wrote:
toecutter wrote:

Looking over this idea, i realise i live in a country which can not provide a 500 feet hill within 2-3 hours driving range, guess i will just miss out ;)

No need to miss out- there's also Virtual Everesting or vEveresting on Zwift. I did mine last year with 8.5 times up Alpe du Zwift. Fueling plan is as others have mentioned- LOTS- with the added benefit that you can set everything on a table next to you and eat as you go. It's also allowed (by Hell's 500 if you're going for an "official" attempt) to get off the bike during the virtual descent which is very helpful to stretch/bathroom/etc.

Ride on!

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ge_Hunter__7863.html
Quote Reply
Re: Everesting....tips and tricks? [dctriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dctriguy wrote:
lassekk wrote:
toecutter wrote:

No need to miss out- there's also Virtual Everesting or vEveresting on Zwift. I did mine last year with 8.5 times up Alpe du Zwift. Fueling plan is as others have mentioned- LOTS- with the added benefit that you can set everything on a table next to you and eat as you go. It's also allowed (by Hell's 500 if you're going for an "official" attempt) to get off the bike during the virtual descent which is very helpful to stretch/bathroom/etc.

Ride on!

I know, saw some threads on this on reddit, quite impressive, but there is NO WAY i would do this inside! A nice summer day thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not done it, but math and physiology are your friends and enemies outside of the advice of the experienced hard men and women who have done it.

-If you have the gearing, maximize you VAM for your energy spend with something with enough gradient. Something like 3 or 4% is wasting energy going forward instead of going up. The target is elevation, not distance. I wouldn't do something that causes a terrible cadence or dangerous descent, but do the math!

-Physiology, think about your power duration curve for a metric or century ride. Then, cut more % off power from there even further. Or HR. Sure, more time stinks, but going out at let's say 180w instead of 160w could be a tragic blow to the effort! Just an example. But I'd imagine early it must feel as easy as possible so that the ability is there later.

-The tips others had here that have done it before, they probably know best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
Looking into doing an everest attempt early in the summer. Thought I would see if anyone here has attempted and/or completed an effort like this. Looking for any advice on does and don’t s for the day!

Thanks in advance

I took my mini van and parked it on the top of the mountain.
I had my dad's bike in there as a backup.
The van was stocked with all sorts of food and clothing for the change in elements.
Also stocked with all my bike maintenance tools, parts, stand etc
I borrowed very good lights to protect myself from animals on the descents - both head lamp and bike mounted, including backup lights
I chose an 8% grade .75 mile mountain in my hometown with little car traffic.
My dad checked in on my now and then and also took my lights back to the house to charge for that evening.
I started at 3:15 AM and finished at 9:30 PM with 16 hours of moving time.
139 miles with 29,200' elevation. 92 repeats at 320' each.
Looking back, it was the perfect mountain for me - somewhat easy grade, no large spikes in grade
I did 10 repeats about a week before in the pitch dark to test out the lights, gear, and get a feel for what pace I felt I could hold. I highly recommend doing a scouting practice effort like that.

q and a about my ride:
http://meggorun.blogspot.com/...rother-is-beast.html

summarized, my tips are:

- take the time to plan the perfect mountain for your strengths and weaknesses
- do a practice effort
- be careful at night, one animal can end the ride and seriously hurt you
- get bright lights
- low traffic mountain if possible
- force yourself to drink
- force yourself to eat
- keep all gear and food close in a vehicle
- its 17,000' from sea level to the base of Everest. Over half the ride is just getting to the base. when you get to 17,000', mentally lock in and you are set.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Everesting....tips and tricks? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I hadn’t really thought of vehicle placement, in regards to top of hill or bottom. You chose the top, any particular reason for that and were you happy with it?

Quote Reply
Re: Everesting....tips and tricks? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply.

The hill we are looking at is 500m over 5km so 10% grade. I’m going to be using a great granny gear of 36x40, so as long as my cadence can stay above 70 I’m looking at a speed of 7.5 km/hr in the 40. I’m thinking I will be in the 12-14hour moving time range and hopefully 2 hours max stoppage time assuming no major mechanicals and the all day buffet goes as planned.
So the math makes sense to me, but a lot of things will need to happen to make the day a success!

Quote Reply
Re: Everesting....tips and tricks? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
I like the other tips on here.

This is a fun post from a bloke who did it up and down a far bigger (than recommended on here) hill. Some meticulous planning and an interesting insight into the mental side of things.

https://cyclingtips.com/...mt-everest-in-a-day/

A good read. "What manner of lunatic!"

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few of friends did it a couple of weeks ago and went the extra to do 10,000m. They did a shorter hill about 1 mile long at about 9% average. They started before dawn and finished at night. They took there time resting in between several repeats to stay fueled. They weren't worried about the uphill...it was bombing downhill at 40+ MPH totally spent. They also had people riding with them at times and had base camp and sag support (eg, follow car in the dark going downhill). They did set some awesome Strava KOMs though!

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I hadn’t really thought of vehicle placement, in regards to top of hill or bottom. You chose the top, any particular reason for that and were you happy with it?

There was a spot to park at the top but not at the bottom so I had no choice. The top was my preference though and looking back I am glad I chose parking my support at the top of the mountain instead of the bottom. I guess the only good reason I can think of is after a 5 minute pit stop to take care of needs, its a mental boost to fly down the mountain and not have to climb it again immediately. There might be other logical reasons to chose one over the other but for me it was close to splitting hairs.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Everesting....tips and tricks? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't let "mission creep" rule your decision making. Promise you significant other that you'll return with all your fingers and toes.

Be Uncommon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lots of good info here. we did a few years ago. chose a 6.5% grade for .7 miles. did 95x to get the elevation. agree to start as early as possible. we rolled at 4am but should have started earlier since we didn't finish until 11p. i had 34-30 gearing but would have liked to have the 32. some other tips...pace accordingly. it should feel too ez the first third. bring any type of food you might think of craving. chocolate and cashews ended up being my savior. keep those breaks to a minimum. they add up. 10' max and only every few hours. try to spin the legs downhill, even backpedal. will keep them from getting stiff. we did in Aug and were able to find a hill that had some tree cover, which was a life saver. get friends and others to join if possible. it was only 2 of us but we put it out on social media and managed to get about 10 friends to stop by at different times. huge boost of energy each time someone showed up. also posting on social made us a bit more accountable. bring portable charging for head unit and make sure to practice charing on the fly. some of them will automatically end the ride. don't find that out the hard way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post intrigued me and got my juices going. Looked at some of the sites and vids.

Found a hill close to me that could work. .7 miles, quiet, 5ish%, just under 200ft of elevation gain. Did the math and realized that it would be about 150+ ascents and 213miles of total riding.

Everest isn’t going to happen this year :).

But maybe I’ll do a half Everest...100miles, 50 of which are climbing.

Love the spirit of epic days tho!!
Quote Reply
Re: Everesting....tips and tricks? [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looking into everesting as well, sounds like a cool challenge while all the races are on hold but the roads re-opening!
Thank you for all the useful tips.

I know the comparison may be totally irrelevant, still, how much harder do you reckon this is vs. finishing a hilly Ironman?
Looking at 37 repeats of this segment: https://www.strava.com/segments/706602

Cheers

It doesn't get easier, you just get slower
https://mymsracesironman.home.blog/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leavitt wrote:

George Mallory who pioneered Everesting (as featured in the Cyclingtips article earlier in this thread) parked his car half way up. That way he was never more than half a climb (and a swift descent) away from food and supplies. Not always possible depending on the availability of parking space on the particular hill you are tackling.
Quote Reply

Prev Next