Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Ever upgrade your bike and regret it?
Quote | Reply
Last yr I jumped from a Felt DA to a Speed concept and I'm kinda Meh on it. I thought I wanted fully integrated TT bike but now it feels like a headache..... Anyone else ever been there.... What do you recommend
Quote Reply
Re: Ever upgrade your bike and regret it? [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A couple times. I got rid of a Transition and replaced it with a nosecone Shiv. Modifying the Shiv cockpit to fit my position was a nightmare, whereas fiddling with the clip-on Transition was pretty easy.

On the road bike side, I replaced a Litespeed C1 with a Venge. It wasnā€™t that the Venge was bad, but for some reason I found the handling on the C1 to be super confidence inspiring. I should really look up what the difference in geometry was because the two bikes were like night and day. I am not really an aficionado of bike geometry, but that setup just worked for me. The only problem with the C1 was some serious toe overlap that I havenā€™t had on any other bike, so I am pretty sure the difference was geometry related.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I recently went from a Felt DA to a Cervelo P3 with TriRig Alpha One bars. So far can't prove that it's any faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you have a plan when you bought it? The first thing I do when I buy something new is confirm that it actually made me faster with testing. That can prove frustrating when you look down at the power meter and it does not care about your upgrade. The worst for me was helmets. I bought a new helmet (v3) to replace the old (v2) and it proved faster, so I was happy. Out of curiosity I pulled out v1 and it was just as fast. Then I tried out a salad bowl aero road helmet Giro knock-off and it has proven the best of all. Not really what I was looking for but it proves that position and other factors matter a lot when you buy a helmet.

When I bought my current bike, a used P2C, I quickly went out and established how much faster it was than my old frame. In that case it was really nice to hit close to the exact numbers that I expected.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever upgrade your bike and regret it? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a faster versus slower problem for me. It's a comfort thing between the two bikes not only in fit even though set to the same numbers all things considered. Also comfort and ease of working on my da as well as transporting the bikes it's just kind of like the whole package..... But I just keep coming back to the fact would I be stupid to go back to the other bike and ditch the Trek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you learn the order of operations to wrench on a Speed Concept it's really not that bad. Di2 or eTap makes cockpit adjustments worlds easier.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. I went from a Falco V to a Speed Concept. Since then all my bike splits have been a couple minutes slower. Probably just the conditions but it still messes with my mind. Also, $4500.00 so yeah, I regret it. I still have the Falco in the closet but wife flips out when I talk about selling the SC.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ever upgrade your bike and regret it? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I have put di2 on it . And I get what you're saying as I've heard that from multiple people I guess there's just something about it I don't like when working on it.
Last edited by: Fishbum: Aug 30, 20 9:25
Quote Reply
Re: Ever upgrade your bike and regret it? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah the wife might definitely lose her s*** if I sell the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatā€™s wrong with the fit on the SC?

And what kind of tweaking have you been doing that seems to be frustrating? I ask because maybe we can help give you some pointers on what to do/not to do when working on the sc?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Ever upgrade your bike and regret it? [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciate that and I may take you guys up on it. I need to get back with Eric and see if we can correct some of it that way..I guess I was just more curious if anyone else had run into this or they just felt like they might have made a bad decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I felt like that on my last purchase. I moved to a Bianchi, from a Felt. I had many thousands of miles on the Felt, and almost 6 years.

The Bianchi just felt different and it took a few months for it to grow on me. I messed around with my fit, worrying about a few mms, but it was just time that I needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thankfully not. Due to some specific life circumstances I upgraded biggly, from an aluminum Felt S22 to a P5 disc.

I was worried because I had done smart, budget-friendly upgrades to the S22 - FLO front wheel, wheelcover on the rear, latex tubes, GP5000s, etc.

Thankfully the P5d is fantastic. I love riding it, Iā€™m faster at the same wattage, and Iā€™m motivated to train hard so I donā€™t feel like a jackass who got a ridiculous bike and is now slower šŸ˜‚

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a upgrade of a complete bike to another. Never a regret (but as I replace / change infrequently there's usually a step change up in tech / performance each time).

Only regret was on one of the mountain bikes (spesh Stumpjumper FSR) - in hindsight I threw good money after bad at it on upgrades and repairs in the latter years of its 'life' - before finally replacing with something 100 times more fun and reliable even if it was @ few pounds heavier (an Orange Five, which still puts a cheezey grin on my face every time I ride it offroad).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
Last yr I jumped from a Felt DA to a Speed concept and I'm kinda Meh on it. I thought I wanted fully integrated TT bike but now it feels like a headache..... Anyone else ever been there.... What do you recommend

Never regretted, but then Iā€™m not an impulse buyer and research the crap out of gear. Iā€™ll tend to make marginal changes that I know are going to work, havenā€™t bought a new bike in about 15 years.

About my closest thing to a ā€œregretā€ was that I ā€œupgradedā€ my road bars to the new style shallow drop compact bars, and I have fairly large hands. They just donā€™t fit. Thankfully they were only $35.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stay brand loyal. I have ridden Cannondale road bikes for maybe 25 years now from their early CAAD aluminium frames, the Six13 until now the Evo models. They have always been innovative company and pushing boundaries so each model evolution is always exciting to ride to compare to the last model and they never disappoint.

Since taking up IM I started with the Specialized Shiv with the bladder in the frame and then had to have a Dimond starting with the Brilliant. I've since had the Marquise and now a Mogul. All have a similar ride quality but each evolution is better than the last again and the excitement when first riding the next evolution is next level. I've been happy from the start and never disappointed.

Felt is an awesome brand and if you're happy but there is a later model, why not get the IA next evolution?
Quote Reply
Re: Ever upgrade your bike and regret it? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do like Felt! More when Super Dave was there but still happy. As for the IA I think it was a fit issue. The DA is longer and more visually pleasing to me. Plus it's remained unchanged for quite a while....(Like other bikes in peak of aero age)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Upgraded" my Ksyrium wheels to tubeless about 12yrs ago (Stans kit and Hutchinson tires; Ksyriums have no spoke holes in the rim bead, so it was easy). The result was heavy, expensive, poor rolling, poor cornering tires and little reduction in flats.

Went back to GP4000s after a year or two and was much happier.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its depends on what your "headache" is? The only issue I had was figuring the new bike out at first. Then it was a joy. I had to majorly change my position (and had to get a pro fit) but once I did I was faster and more comfortable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just sold an older (2000-2005?) Pinarello Prince that fit me perfectly and was as smooth as a '70s Eldorado on the roads, to upgrade to a newer FP Due (all Carbon, can't go wrong, right?). Made a nice profit on the Prince and got a great deal on the Due, so wound up with a nicer, newer bike and a few bucks in my pocket, but not sure I'm better off.

The new bike is great, but it lacks some of the smoothness of the older one. Not really a regret, but I wish I'd kept them both. Fighting against the N+1 impulse, so I have to sell 2 bikes for every one I buy...the overall size of the collection is shrinking as the overall quality creeps up.

Except in this case...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon wheels in the rim brake era. And probably my most recent mountain bike. Nothing else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was forced to upgrade from 2011 SC gen 1 to 2018 SC gen 2 after a car vs bike accident. Had the 2011 dialed in to where my longest ride was 135 miles.

Not happy with new bike. Something just seems off. Trek shop set up new bike exactly/as close to old bike as possible. Need to spend the time to figure out the difference..............

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:

Funny seeing all the speed concept comments. I had an older specialized transition that I used for 1 year. Loved it. Felt right and was very comfortable. Came across a deal I couldn't pass up (new speed concept for $2500 version 2). It was my dream bike. But I felt like it only wanted to go in a straight line. Cornering was poor and hills were not as smooth. I wish I never bought the concept.

I did sell it after a year, but I could have put that $ towards something else.

Try to sell it, and go back to the felt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started with a Felt and switched to a SC and never looked back. It just took me a little bit of time to learn about the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Ever upgrade your bike and regret it? [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
I started with a Felt and switched to a SC and never looked back. It just took me a little bit of time to learn about the bike.

This is exactly what I experienced when I went from a Felt B12 to a Speed Concept. I had been riding the Felt for 3 years or so, including several half and one full distance races. I moved to the Speed Concept last year. There was a learning curve for sure, but I would never go back to the Felt (even though I loved the bike) because it just wasn't the bike the Speed Concept is.
Quote Reply

Prev Next