Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Even Boris bikes !
Quote | Reply
The wacky UK prime minister pictured next to a bike and even some Park tools!

What next?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Even Boris bikes ! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He knocks over a few jay-walking school children?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So maybe all this time that hairstyle has really just been perpetual helmet hair?

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a fan of Boris at all, but he's always been reasonably pro-cycling from his time as London mayor.

There's a really scary CCTV video of him nearly being killed whilst cycling around London in a genuinely freak accident... as I recall, he's cycling down a residential street, a lorry overtakes him and for some reason the back door swings open, somehow latches on to a parked car on the opposite side of the road and basically hurls the car across the street, missing Boris by mere inches. When I saw it I was like... what...the...f***!

I'll try to find a video and post it up, it's mad.
Quote Reply
Re: Even Boris bikes ! [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
I'm not a fan of Boris at all, but he's always been reasonably pro-cycling from his time as London mayor.

There's a really scary CCTV video of him nearly being killed whilst cycling around London in a genuinely freak accident... as I recall, he's cycling down a residential street, a lorry overtakes him and for some reason the back door swings open, somehow latches on to a parked car on the opposite side of the road and basically hurls the car across the street, missing Boris by mere inches. When I saw it I was like... what...the...f***!

I'll try to find a video and post it up, it's mad.
Video not available, but here's a link w photos.

Karen ST Concierge
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few weeks back while watching some random youtube docs to waste time, I came across "Ride of my life".

Guy goes around to what he considers the best factories to see how various components are made up, get them straight from the source, see some cycling history, and at around 51 minutes, I came across Boris as well!!

I was surprised!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Even Boris bikes ! [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Also totally NOT a fan but he has been pro bike for a long time (not just being a politician jumping on the bandwagon).
The city hire bikes in London are often referred to as 'Boris Bikes' as they were introduced under his tenure as mayor (tho actually all the work to get the scheme set up and happen was actually under his predecessor Ken Livingstone's period as Mayor).

Though as with most politicians there's a lot of BS and hot air. We're supposed to have 'bicycle super highways' in London c/o Boris. But underfunded and some BSH routes are deathtrap routes.
Quote Reply
Re: Even Boris bikes ! [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
again - not a fan, but was quite impressed by his admission of being overweight pre-covid and the general encouragement for cycling as a way to improve health and reduce healthcare costs. Not sure how being prescribed cycling by a doctor will work - but as long as it is clear to you folks in the UK.

would like to have something like the cyclescheme over here in the US.......but not going to happen as we have obesity under control and don't need it.
Quote Reply
Re: Even Boris bikes ! [rich_m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rich_m wrote:
Not sure how being prescribed cycling by a doctor will work - but as long as it is clear to you folks in the UK.

When it comes to obesity-related illnesses, like a lot of things, most people just want a quick-fix. Implementing healthy lifestyle changes e.g. better diet and more exercise are often perceived as difficult, whereas popping a statin to treat your hypertension is easy. There's a wide perception that the NHS (like a lot of healthcare services) has turned into a "drug-dispensing service" that isn't promoting the "correct healthcare" options, it's promoting the easy ones. Put some drugs in someone's hands, sweep the real issues under the rug and tell them to come back in two to four weeks... rinse and repeat until they figure it out for themselves... except more often than not they don't.

"Prescribing" exercise is a laudable approach, but as you say, I'm not sure how it will work in practice and I hope there's some kind of guidance/support in place to get people onto the right path there. Maybe this is just the next step of Boris' new, ruthless "follow the science" approach to government spilling over from the coronavirus response (slightly tongue-in-cheek there!)
Quote Reply