Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Evanston/Chicago Pool/Gym/Routes
Quote | Reply
The better half and I are going to be in Evanston over the July 4th weekend and we are looking for a pool/gym that allows drop-ins. We are checking with Northwestern Master's, but I am not overly optimistic b/c Jenn is not as yet enrolled. Any suggestions on that front or on bike route (50 miles) would be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Evanston/Chicago Pool/Gym/Routes [bryanjaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Northwestern pool is great. Nice big lanes and not too many people there in the summer. For something like 7 bucks you get access to the pool and the rest of the facitilities (cardio/weight equipment, basketball courts, running track, etc.).

As for the bike route. I recommend going up Sheridan road past Fort Sheridan to Lake Bluff (that's about 50 miles and it's not ALL on Sheridan. Takes a few jogs here and there around Highland Park but for the most part you can stick to Sheridan). Or the Judson ride (Which leaves out of evanston - www.teamjudson.com) has a good route that is somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 miles: http://www.teamjudson.com/route/route.htm They usually have rides leaving at 7:30 on Saturday and Sunday. Either meet them at the ride start or pick up the pack as they are heading up Sheridan Road around 7:30-7:40.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't help ya with the pool, but we have a map of the North Sheridan rd route on our web site (http://chicagotriclub.com/...ions/sheridanrd4.asp). Hit the right arrow key under the page number to see the next section of the map.

It's around 50 miles round trip from Plaza Del Lago.

Pay close attention to page 7. Bikes are NOT allowed on this road. You can get a ticket if caught. Click on the "Click here to see a closeup of the detour" link for a bypass of this stretch of road.

When you get to page 12, you have a choice of riding on the bike path, or riding up old elm road. To see the old elm map, click on the Old Elm Road hyperlink.

There are plenty of gas stations, mini-marts on the way, so no worries about water/restrooms.
Last edited by: OWEN_MEANY: Jun 23, 04 7:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as the Northwestern Pool if you want to swim with a Master's swim, Race Logix store in Evanston allows you to register and pay for a class.its $10 per person. Swim times are Tuesdays 7:30 PM and Saturday mornings 7 AM.

the bike routes around Chicago .well there is the Lake Front path which on a nice day is super crowded and can be downright dangerous at times. Riding north on Sheridan road is bumpy and drivers are not the friendliest. Check out Chicago Tri club web site and see if you can check their ride board for loosely organized rides in and around Chicago or outlying areas such as Lake Barrington.

------------------------------------------------

Trying to find ways to pass the time.
Quote Reply
Re: Evanston/Chicago Pool/Gym/Routes [OWEN_MEANY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why don't you recommend a good bike shop for while they're in town?

Just kidding.

'It makes no sense for me to apologize for being an asshole. For acting like an asshole, yes, I'd fall on my sword for that. But how can one apologize for one's state of being?' - Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks everyone.
Quote Reply