Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Evans not selected for TdF?!
Quote | Reply
I just read that Cadel Evans was not selected for the Tour de France. This I think highlights the problems with T-Mobile. IMHO T-Mobile could have the best team @ the TdF, but due to conflicting goals--ie.yellow and green jersey--chances for victory in either are reduced. Personnally, if T-Mobile replaced Zabel with Evans, Jan's chance's for overall would be much better. Zabel is a fading sprinter and even though he is one of the strongest all-around sprinters, a better all-around rider would be of more use in achieving overall victory @ the TDF. Just look at Tyler Hamilton's new team, Phonak, they choice current fitness over possible leadership conflicts and experience when not selecting former TdF contender, Alex Zulle, despite the fact he has been very fit this year. Same thing at USPS. Unless the UCI is successfull with the "Pro Tour" the winner of the maillot jaune will be the one with a team focused on one objective rather than split ambitions.

I will now probably eat crow soon when Jan wins the overall and Zabel easily wins the points jersey.
Quote Reply
Re: Evans not selected for TdF?! [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I didn't know how Lance could possibly cover so many potential GC threats - Vino, Jan, Evans, (do they still have Botero?).
Quote Reply
Re: Evans not selected for TdF?! [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I kind of agree and kind of disagree. I definitely agree that their split focus lessens their chances of winning either jersey slightly but that's a fact of life on just about every team in the peloton (except USPS) and I think there's a decent argument for what they're doing.

Chances are, they're not going to win either jersey no matter who they put on the team. Zabel is getting old, Petacchi is really fast and has a great sprinter's team and there are some other threats (the Aussies etc.). Chances are, Jan won't win either. If everyone shows up strong and stays on the road, Lance probably wins. If he doesn't, there's some chance (not a very good chance, IMO but a chance nonetheless) that Tyler or Mayo or someone else will ride out of his mind and beat Jan and Lance both fair and square. Even if that doesn't happen, Jan could easily ride poorly, get sick, crash, or whatever.

The most likely GC scenario is a repeat of last year with Lance first and Jan comfortably second. Obviously anything can happen but Jan can definitely ride to second (or at worst third) with a less-than-perfect team. Likewise, chances are that Zabel will win a stage, maybe two but not the jersey and he too can do that with or without a team built completely around him. A podium GC finish and a couple of stage wins will make a lot of sponsors and fans very happy. If it won't, Cadel Evans isn't going to change it, they're either going to need some luck or they'll need to hire Jeff Gilooly (sp?) to do a Kerrigan on Lance and Petacchi.

Anyone who tells you they're as fast now as they were when they were 18...
sure wasn't very fast when they were 18.
Quote Reply
Re: Evans not selected for TdF?! [Hickory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Agreed. I didn't know how Lance could possibly cover so many potential GC threats - Vino, Jan, Evans, (do they still have Botero?).

Vino's out, Cadel is out, Botero is relagated to helping in the mtns, Jan will have a tough time. Evens was/is a head-case and morale buster anyway- so not that big of a loss.

Phil Cutti
Quote Reply
Re: Evans not selected for TdF?! [Rich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It remains to be seen whether or not Petacchi can finish the Tour. He didn't manage it last year.
Quote Reply