Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Escape the Cape 2019 - Who's doing it this year?
Quote | Reply
Really looking forward to this race. It'll be my first of the season and my second tri ever!

Wanted to see who else is doing it and if any veterans had any tips for the actual race. Nervous and excited for the ferry jump. Need to book a hotel this week - still deciding if it's better to stay in Cape May or Wildwood. T-12 days!
Quote Reply
Re: Escape the Cape 2019 - Who's doing it this year? [newtryguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi - I did it last year and was really fun. they had to shorten the olympic distance because the fog was really bad out there. so the swim was short and the bike was cut in half. Tips - hold your goggles to your face as you're about to enter the water. be ready to run on some sand. logistics are organized. i stayed in wildwood at an airbnb last year and it was fine. easy enough to drive in, its only like 10 minutes or so.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape the Cape 2019 - Who's doing it this year? [BabaBooey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. Super helpful! I didn't know they shortened it last year.

Are you doing it again?
Quote Reply
Re: Escape the Cape 2019 - Who's doing it this year? [newtryguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sadly not doing it this year but what a great event. The jump is so much fun. X2 on holding goggles. Bike is fast n flat save for the bridge and even that is a tiny lump. Don't underestimate the sand portions of run. They're longer than you may think or at least they were longer than I thought. Gave myself a stitch trying to hold speed thru it!

Hotels could be largely full by now. I'd get on that asap. I vote Wildwood, little less glam and snazzy as cape May, but beach is better in Wildwood if you ask me. Def Wildwood if you're going with beach people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will be racing that event this year.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not doing it this year. It’s a bit of a haul and I’m doing a local Charity 10k. I did enjoy it though. Agree with the other comment, course is flat and fast. Big ring entire time other than over the bridge which is small.

I’d look for an Airbnb or motel in wildwood
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not doing it this year (did the inaugural race and the second year, and they were a blast) but I was down there this past Saturday and Beach Road, which is used for part of the bike and most of the run, is freshly paved and super-smooth.

Take water and maybe a gel on the boat in case there's a delay - the 2nd year I did it, the ferry kept drifting out of position and had to be maneuvered back into position repeatedly, so it took a long time for the Olympic race to start - not 100% but I think they took steps to reduce/prevent that in subsequent years. As somebody else mentioned, hold on to your goggles for the jump. Also, the water can get pretty murky in the bay so it gets surprisingly dark when you jump in, especially if you go deep. Not sure what the tides look like for this year but when the current is running in your favour, it can be a fast swim.
Beach portion of the run is on some pretty wet/coarse bay sand and it's tough to find any real firm sand to run on. Also already mentioned, the only real "hill" is the bridge over the Cape May Canal.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape the Cape 2019 - Who's doing it this year? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot that, but yes definitely bring food/drink on ferry. And don't put your wetsuit on in transition. Wait til you're out on the ferry nearer to go time. They'll have a countdown or announce when things are almost ready.

And keep an eye open for dolphins on the ride out!
Quote Reply
Re: Escape the Cape 2019 - Who's doing it this year? [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dolphins! Wow.

Do you guys recommend clear or tinted goggles for the swim portion? Looks like the Olympic will start at around 8:30am.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape the Cape 2019 - Who's doing it this year? [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you need a small chain ring on the bike course?

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm optimistic, so I'd say tinted goggles. it was fairly foggy last year however. also, you have nowhere to leave anything once you get on the boat. I'd recommend bringing a long sleeve shirt on board to wear, since you'll be on that thing for an hour or two before you race and then donating it to the race before the swim start.
Quote Reply
Re: Escape the Cape 2019 - Who's doing it this year? [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dkennison wrote:
Do you need a small chain ring on the bike course?

Probably not.. the approach to the bridge from the North Cape May side is long enough that you can build up enough speed to carry all the way up. Coming back from the other side there's a sharpish left uphill turn almost right onto the bridge. It's been a while since I raced it, but I *think* that turn is traffic-controlled by police/marshalls so you should be able to carry speed there too if you keep your speed through the turn.

Edit: just checked the course maps and they've changed it since I last did it. Coming back over the canal, you now approach the bridge via a long flat stretch where you should be able to build enough speed to easily take you up the bridge.
Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: May 20, 19 18:07
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you.

Dan Kennison

Quote Reply
Re: Escape the Cape 2019 - Who's doing it this year? [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Definitely don't need a small chain ring. And, I definitely agree with what others said, bring extra food/drink, as both times I've raced there have been delays (positioning and fog). Sad to miss it this year. I grew up there and lived along the bike course, and have many friends who race it. Delmo puts on a great race...have fun!

Pat Dwyer
@pdwyer99
Quote Reply