Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Eruptions
Quote | Reply
By now many of you may have seen that Kilauea has begun a sprawling eruption that could last months. The immediately affected area, Leilani Estates, has been evacuated and homes are being destroyed. Despite it's fancy sounding name, over 20% of the population lives below the poverty line. Please keep them and all residents of Puna in your minds. I think the last major eruption of this kind happened in 1955 or 1924, comparisons are varied depending on what news sources you look at. Of course 1984 brought some danger to Hilo that didn't end up reaching far enough but that, like Pahoa's recent scare, were both flows, not spouting fissures like now.

Right, I know this is a triathlon forum and you'll want to know how this affects Triathlon, it may bring more vog to the islands in general and higher levels in Kona as long as the eruptions are active but it all depends on activity which is inconsistent and of course, winds. I'm sure KonaCoffee or other Hawai'i residents (please chime in, I get my news from my mother in Hilo while I live in NYC now) will let you know more if it is constant enough to be a problem but for now, not a huge concern unless you have asthma... Aside from that these eruptions are being predicated by earthquakes but this is immediate and may not be a constant threat.

Lastly, NatGeo referring to the situation said "Madame Pele" which is a popular term here as well. Why add Madame? She's a godess, a diety in Hawaiian culture. She can just be called Pele.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply