Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Epiphany from Felt President Bill Duehring.
Quote | Reply
I had a long phone conversation with Felt Bicycles President Bill Duehring when I wrote the review on my website about the Felt S32.

During the interview I asked Bill the usual technical questions. But Bill said something that shined about the usual conversation about bike specificatios and design:

"The harder you work, the luckier you get."

Duehring told me his father, who was also in the bike business, said that. I pondered that since the interview. I compare that with two other memorable quotes:

"We each create our own reality" Arthur C. Clarke, author "2001: A Space Odyessy" and inventor of the communications satelite.

-and-

"In racing, you make your own luck- I prefer to stack the odds in my favor." Bernard Hinault, 5 time Tour de France winner.

Recently I was building another one of Bill's bikes and was impressed by the attention to detail in the component spec. Each little detail was a pleasant surprise: The cranks were about the right size for the size of the frame, reducing the chances of us having to incur the cost of changing them. The saddle was correct for the bike. The gearing was correct for the type of customer who would be interested in this bike. The cogset was not a cheap knock-off, neither was the bottom bracket. Customers don't see these things, they could have cut corners.

The day before I was building a bike from another manufacturer (NOT Felt) and frankly, I just said, "pull everything off and start over- nothing is right on this bike with component spec....

So, what Duehring said appears to not only be working. He appears to practice it.

That quote has stuck in my head ever since. "The harder you work, the luckier you get."

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Epiphany from Felt President Bill Duehring. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
During the interview I asked Bill the usual technical questions. But Bill said something that shined about the usual conversation about bike specificatios and design:

Duehring told me his father, who was also in the bike business, said that. I pondered that since the interview. That quote has stuck in my head ever since. "The harder you work, the luckier you get."

Tom,

I have seen this quote attributed to various persons from Samuel Goldwyn, Gary Player and Arnold Palmer. Take your pick!

Happy holidays,
Paul
Last edited by: ElGordo: Dec 18, 04 17:25
Quote Reply
Re: Epiphany from Felt President Bill Duehring. [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup. Kind of like you Sir.

Happy Holidays- you inspire a lot of people. Including me. Thank you. And thank you for shaking my hand at the start of Ironman New Zealand. That was a good way to start a long day.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I believe that quote was first seen in the "The Millionaire Next Door", Dr. Thomas Stanley's study of affluent Americans. The quote has also been attributed to Samuel Goldwyn (the movie dude), golfer Gary Player and Chuck Berry (???). Good quote though.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Epiphany from Felt President Bill Duehring. [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love that book.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have."

Attributed to both Thomas Jefferson and Stephen Leacock. As a Canadian, I'll go with the latter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I am not surprised. From what I have seen of Felt bicycles, they have incredible value for the price. Very seldom is great value of this sort just an accident, it takes real effort and a commitment to build a well thought out design and spec it properly. Anyone can cut corners to make a cheaper widget or try to increase the profit margin.

Sounds like Bill recognizes this and decided some time ago to separate himself from that never ending downward spiral.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Last edited by: Wants2rideFast: Dec 19, 04 4:25
Quote Reply
Re: Epiphany from Felt President Bill Duehring. [ElGordo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The version I read was

reporter:
"Mr Player that was an awfully lucky shot youo hit on __ hole"

Player:
"Yes it was a lucky shot, the thing is I find that the harder I work the luckier I get"

Or something to that sort...

Happy Holidays
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you really want to meet a great guy, Jim Felt is the man behind the scenes there. Jim and I are friends from way back when I helped launch Elite. He's an awesome guy and I'm thrilled that his line is doing well. Bill and Jim make a great team and it looks like they are on their way to another great year.

Steve H
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, I am in the market for my first tri bike. Is it true that Felt tends to fit shorter people better? I a 6 feet 1 inch and 180 pounds. I love the look and components of the S22, but obviously do not want a bike that does not fit me. Your comments are greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Epiphany from Felt President Bill Duehring. [Geopie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you know Geopie,

Head over to the closest bike shop to you that does a good job fitting and ask them to take some measurements. That should go a long way toward helping figure out what to buy.

I would characterize Felt, if anything, as being a trifle long in the opt tube on some models- exactly what a person with a longish torso may want.

Again, it will boil down to what the measurements your dealer takes tells you.

-Good luck!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply