Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Enve Wheel Repair
Quote | Reply
I was peeling a tubular off one of the older Enve 45 rims and a pice of carbon popped off with the tire, leaving a void in the rim bed about an 3cm long opposite the valve stem. I called Enve and they said it was likely a patch from where they removed the bladder while making the wheel and I could send it to them to repair (quoted $50-$75 plus shipping).

He said I could also just epoxy the piece back in place. The advantage he gave was that they have done it a whole bunch of times and it would be my first.

Anyone think of a reason I can't just epoxy it back on, let it cure, glue on a new tire, and move on with my life?

Follow up question is what epoxy? I came across a thread recommending West System 206.

Yes I know I should buy clinchers, but a tube of epoxy seems like a cheaper option.

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Wheel Repair [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ask Enve what they used and use something else...

Actually ask them what they would recommend... though I doubt it matters a whole lot. Sand and clean both, and make sure it fully cures. At worst, it might come off when you remove a tire again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a pretty critical piece of your bike. I wouldn't go for cheap. I'd go for smart. Send them the wheel and pay the $50-$75 They're right. They've done it a bunch of times. You haven't.

Personally I think that what you've described should never happen and would expect the thing to be done for free. But if I had to choose between paying or doing it myself, I'd pay.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Wheel Repair [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
This is a pretty critical piece of your bike. I wouldn't go for cheap. I'd go for smart. Send them the wheel and pay the $50-$75 They're right. They've done it a bunch of times. You haven't.

+1. $50-$75 for the manufacturer to repair your wheel is a great deal. Skip the DIY on this.

---------------------------------------------------
Oregon Ducks Custom Painted Jack Kane: http://kanebikes.com/...l-bike-galleries/787
http://www.kanebikes.com/ || Road & Triathlon Bicycles. Custom Painting. Carbon Repair. Restoration. HQ'd in North Carolina
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Wheel Repair [kanebikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys... this is a non structural plug to cover the hole used for bladder removal. He'd have to do something really stupid to screw it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Wheel Repair [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to take a shot at the repair. As you said, seems pretty straightforward. Any type of epoxy recommended?

Photos:

The hole

The piece stuck to tire

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've played a little bit with carbon fiber, doing little projects here and there. From what it looks like, it's just a carbon cap that gets glued over an existing hole. I don't see any reason why you couldnt go down to the hobby store, get some 30 minute epoxy, and glue it back down yourself. I find the hardest part about working with carbon fiber is finding the right epoxy in small amounts. Most places sell it by the quart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I concur with Chris... epoxy from the hardware store should be fine, and if it doesn't work the worst that will happen is that it will come off with the tire again. But I think if you sand and clean the mating surfaces it will last.
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Wheel Repair [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is fantastic. The "head mechanic" at the local Enve dealer said I would have to trash the wheel. And added that even if I was the first owner and it was covered by warranty, they wouldn't help because I didn't buy the wheel there.

Notice how I did not use the term "my LBS". And if they were before, they wouldn't be now. Thanks for saving me a few hundred $$.

/kj

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After seeing those pictures I say do it yourself. Clean it well, let it dry thoroughly, epoxy in the piece, put some saran wrap over it, then clamp it with something. The saran wrap won't stick to any epoxy that leaks out as it cures. WestSystem is good, and if you have a West Marine nearby, they may have small repair packs (like ketchup packets) that would be more than enough. Otherwise, being non-structural, just about anything will work for this, although ideally you want something that will hold the piece in place when you remove tires in the future so you don't have to do this each time.

~Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Wheel Repair [kluecke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WestSystem repair kit. The cheapest option will be way more than enough.

~Kevin
Quote Reply
Re: Enve Wheel Repair [kluecke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still, I would send them to Enve.
Quote Reply