Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Enough is ENOUGH, I have had it
Quote | Reply
With tucking my shoelace in my shoe, or worst yet, forgetting and at some point in the ride having my laces eaten by the sproket.

Yes I have Toe Clip pedals and ride in my street shoes.

Dropping $150 (at least) for shoes and pedals just doesn't seem worth it to me. But im about ready to. Any other suggestions, this is my only bike so I also use it to ride around the neighborhood with the kids and ride to the pool, ect.

Maybe I just need to invest in shoe laces.
Quote Reply
Re: Enough is ENOUGH, I have had it [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might want to look at some spd or spd-r knockoffs. Supergo has some for like $40 i think. I work bike patrol in a pair of Lake mx101, they were on sale, but there are other shoes like them. They are very walkable, cleats only make noise on rough concrete and aren't too stiff. Not great for fuul on race shoes, but for $40 and being so easy to walk in.....worth a look.

just an idea

Kevin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contact Chip (Record10Carbon) on the site. TSR sounds perfect for you in this case.

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try the stretchy laces. Something like these:

http://www.all3sports.com/...f73296998985a40e9e4f
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just how big our your feet. I got some shoe laying around.

Thom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what size shoe do you wear. I havesome old 4+ yr old northwaves here that I don't use anymore. PM me with your size.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've bought several pairs of used pedals on Ebay for cheap money. SPD's & old Look's can usually be had for very reasonable prices. Also, now that it's nearing the end of the season all the lbs's around here are starting to put things like shoes on sale to reduce their inventory going into winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 How about some Gorilla glue--"the strongest glue on planet earth"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Look pedals I can send you (no cleats) what size shoe? You can PM me your address and I will send them out.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got some Speedplay zeros on this site for $35 shipped. Then I picked up some cheap Nashbar shoes for $37 shipped. The cheapo shoes are actually better than my Shimano TR01s that are 14 months old.

Look for local sales or used online. For $50 you can get a so-so setup. Just need to take some time. I have DA 9sp on my road bike with those shoes and pedals. Not even into the entire setup for $600.

My grandfather used to use velcro shoes because he didn't have the coordination to tie laces anymore. Try something like that.

I have some size 44 shoes and Time pedals I would off for cheap (~$20) if you can't find anything.

Reverend Dr. Jay
Lake of the Pines Triathlon fastest bike course record holder - Golden State Super Sprint fastest tri course record holder - Wildflower Long Course slowest run course record holder (4:46:32)

"If you have a body, you are an athlete." -Bill Bowerman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get used pedals and some shoes on clearance. I got some brand new pearl izumi road shoes for $18 at rei as a backup pair and some used pedals from a bike shop for $15.

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Approx $5 gets ya Easy Laces, or Yankz, or iBungee Laces, or Lock Laces, problem solved. If you are a triathlete, or duathlete, or just anybody, these no-tie lacing systems are the sh*t.

As has been mentioned, IF you wanna go clipless (I HIGHLY recommend it), it can be done for pretty cheap. Get some Nashbar or Performance SPD-knockoff pedals (I wanna say Nashbar has 'em for like $20 or something that silly cheap right now). It's OK to use mtb pedals on a road bike, in fact they may be easier for a newbie, since they can clip in on both sides. The "extra weight" is a non-issue.

Cheap SPD-compatible shoes can be found at all the usual suspects: Nashbar, Perf, Supergo, STP, CBO, Price Point, yada yada yada. You should be able to get cheapo pedals and shoes for well under a C-note.

The $5 laces are certainly the cheaper option ;-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Enough is ENOUGH, I have had it [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Murph, are these laces "the s#!t" or the "S#!t that kills them"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What size shoes do you wear?

I am moving and will be throwing out about 5 pairs of new and used cycling shoes. I think I have 30-35 pairs of pedals as well. You just need to promise to TSR them when you get a pair of "real" racing footwear.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SPD pedals aren't my favorite, but I got them for my wife because we were able to buy these little platforms that clip on turning them into regular (non-clipping) pedals. So she has the option, clip in or clip the pedal platforms on for crusing around the neighborhood with regular shoes. Might be an option for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too am in the same boat, I purchased a set of used Look pedals because I hate the cages, but am now having to save for the shoes. I wear a size 12 and am not too proud to wear a pair of "recycled" shoes as I have put the bike up until I can get a pair of shoes. Any suggestions as to good buy finds or old donor pairs from the bottom of your closets would be appreciated more than you could understand. Wifey is starting to get perturbed at the expense of my "Hobbies" LOL.

Billy

Nine out of Ten Scientists agree that
Out of Ten Scientists
One will disagree with the other Nine
Quote Reply
Re: Enough is ENOUGH, I have had it [Styk33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
which cheap nashbar shoes ? i've thought about trying their triathlon shoe.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: Enough is ENOUGH, I have had it [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, I think Im getting a pair of Look Pedals from TSR - no clips. I generally wear an 11.5 wide shoe. I have no idea how this translates to a cycling shoe.

Thanks for any and all help.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Enough is ENOUGH, I have had it [jtaylor1024] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Get used pedals and some shoes on clearance. I got some brand new pearl izumi road shoes for $18 at rei as a backup pair and some used pedals from a bike shop for $15.

$18 shoes at REI, sounds to good to be true. There is an REI near me I will have to stop in.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any extra 12's laying around?

Billy

Nine out of Ten Scientists agree that
Out of Ten Scientists
One will disagree with the other Nine
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are some pedals out there that are SPD on one side and regular on the other. Performance, Nashbar, etc. sell them. Then get yourself a cheap set of shoes (I've picked them up for as little as 39.00) and you're all set. You'll still have the option of wearing street shoes for those short rides with the kids.
Quote Reply