Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Engineering jobs relating to Triathlon. How do I find one??
Quote | Reply
I totally got this from another thread, but mine has a different spin;

I'm still an undergrad, actually on co-op right now, and I'm wondering how people like Gerard got involved with the triathlon industry with companies like Cervelo. I, never in my life, have seen an ad for Cervelo or other such companies. However, looking at their work they much have some good engineers.

I'm a Mechanical Engineer, looking for something interesting to do with my career because my co-op right now isnt the best. Design engineering seems to be my thing, and although I'll probably be getting a masters sometime soon, I'm wondering how I can maybe get a little involved with one of these companies.

Ideas?
Quote Reply
Re: Engineering jobs relating to Triathlon. How do I find one?? [teege] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gerard did not get "involved with Cervelo",he and Phil White "ARE" Cervelo. They started their own company from very humble roots.
Quote Reply
Re: Engineering jobs relating to Triathlon. How do I find one?? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wow...oops :D
Quote Reply
Re: Engineering jobs relating to Triathlon. How do I find one?? [teege] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Write them an email. Cannondale was looking for an engineer to work in R&D a couple years back. It was posted on their website. Make a list of the bike companies you would be interested in working for (don't forget component manufacturers like Vision, Profile, Reynolds, Shimano, etc.) if that is of interest to you. And then write to them. They all have websites.

Gerard started Cervelo with Phil White, so that is how he got involved. If all else fails, just start your own company. :)

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm wondering how I can maybe get a little involved with one of these companies.

I suppose the answer is the same as it always is in any field. To get noticed you must have an outstanding resume which means top-level education or real-world experience. Or you have positioned yourself as a brilliant innovator/thinker (or whatever) through some particularly notable accomplishment. Or you know someone and networked effectively. Of course, there are the stories of those who simply got an interview somehow and something clicked even though they were none of the above. My experience is that that is the few-and-far-between case.
Last edited by: johnt: Sep 29, 05 11:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't really imagine that they have all that many people employed in the engineering dept.

Take Cervelo for instance has what 6-8 frames? From year to year these frames change very little from an engineering standpoint.

I would guess that they probably have a boat load more time wrapped up in R & D than they do in actual "Hard", sit down and design, make drawings type of engineering.

Also just a WAG but I'd suspect the guy these type of companies, small by many measures, would hire, probably have to wear more than one or two hats.

Again a guess but it would seem you'd be doing alot of "hopping" around from Engineer, to researcher to warrenty etc etc.

It would be very interesting to hear some of Gerards or Herberts comments.

~Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trek is hiring an engineer to be a buyer - you might not have the correct experience, but many bike companies are expanding their engineering departments.

http://www2.trekbikes.com/...Materials_Leader.php

Look at the manufacturers websites on a regular basis. Jobs do get posted and people do get hired by applying for them.

Specialized also has some jobs open

http://www.specialized.com/...p?a=b&jobId=3064
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats one thing that i would love to work as an engineer ;-)

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: Engineering jobs relating to Triathlon. How do I find one?? [MJuric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe in a past post that Gerard mentioned they had 9 engineers on staff. 8 frames, 9 engineers.
Quote Reply