Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Endure IQ (Squad) any feedback?
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Im a self coached athlete and am always looking for new ways of doing things. I'm curious if anyone has used "Endure IQ - SQUAD" and if so what your feedback has been? $25USD/week seems high for a Today'sPlan account and what is effectively automated training plan generation, however I'm sure I'm missing somethings and key features.
Quote Reply
Re: Endure IQ (Squad) any feedback? [ToddRodd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are quite a few plans, and workouts to select to plan your own items. It really is more of paying for access to the large library of all distance/level plans, as well as additional workouts.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a member and pretty happy so far, the key aspect which may not be intuitive at first is access to the community - Dan Plews (founder) holds bi weekly zoom calls with the squad, other coaches have weekly calls and there are also special events with external guests and for example Dan recently held a seminar with a St George's course preview and heat adaptation tips etc. There is also a fairly active online discussion board so that every single question you have about training equipment or anything else will get answered by Dan or other coaches. The plan is not simply 100% automated as it includes for example tips on how to fuel each session (depending on type of work) and how to use HRV to place your sessions optimally within the week. They are also launching a video on demand platform with strength flexibility mobility exercises etc. I used to be with Purple Patch but over the years the platform has grown so much that it turned into a selling machine trying to encourage members to upgrade and buy additional tests from Inside Tracker, nutrition plans from Fuel In, online bike fitting (!?), sweat tests and PH drinks etc - in the end it was too much and it detracted from training. None of this from EndureIQ as in my experience Dan sees himself as a sport scientist first, and in my view is one of the sharpest minds in triathlon (coaches Gomez, Jan Van Berkel, is head of performance for New Zealand, the America's cup boat crew etc.). The calls alone are worth a lot more than the 25USD/week.
Quote Reply
Re: Endure IQ (Squad) any feedback? [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the detailed review. Given 7 months have gone by since this review, I'm curious if you have a different opinion? What has your experience been since? Much Appreciated
Quote Reply
Re: Endure IQ (Squad) any feedback? [Jcohen223] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have been super happy. I finished 3rd AG at ironman Italy and top 5% AG at 70.3 worlds (from mid pack in Nice in 2019) so clearly the approach is working for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dang, I know Plews is a helluva coach but $250/wk is stout. Thatā€™s more than most peopleā€™s car payment.

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Endure IQ (Squad) any feedback? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's $25 per week
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using it since September and I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: Endure IQ (Squad) any feedback? [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon, I am currently using another program, but it has changed drastically as far as delivery. Could you maybe answer these questions? I have found some answers on their website, but looking for an actual user to answer.

1. I like being able to download run/bike workouts onto my own platform and get a structured workout. I use TrainerRoad. Can you download structured workouts?
  2. Is there a seasonal progression/periodization that exists?
  3. For swim workouts does it prescribe tools to use?(buoy, snorkel, paddles)?
  4. Can you add race/recovery/injury builds or blocks to the program that is prescribed?
  5. If you want can you schedule a consult with one of the coaches, obviously at a fee?

Quote Reply
Re: Endure IQ (Squad) any feedback? [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
It's $25 per week

My mistake. Big difference šŸ˜

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: Endure IQ (Squad) any feedback? [lonniecdams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Happy to answer your questions:
1. Yes you can download the structured workouts. I use Zwift but I believe you can use trainer road as well. I actually do not even have to do anything - the workout just appears in the custom workout sections of Zwift. For running and biking.
2.Yes to seasonal progression/periodization. They have a northern and Southern Hemisphere rolling plan where the goals for the week are put in that week and you have the workouts.
3. Yes to tools and stuff for swim workouts. I actually do most of my swim training on a vasa ergometer and I have my plan set up for training with that.
4. Yes you can add race/recovery/injury builds.
5. You get a free 1/2 hour zoom consult with one of the coaches when you sign up. I had one with a coach in the US Aaron Geisler and he put together an amazing olympic distance plan for me that I am using to get ready for the olympic distance world championship. They had number of set workout plans for olympic distance but then Aaron listened to what I said and tweaked the plan a lot to make it specific to me. I loved the plan and felt my fitness progressing so much, that I signed up for an entire year in advance and then got a call with Dan Plews himself which was awesome. If you have questions, you can ask them in the weekly zoom sessions for everyone. You can also pay extra for another individual consult, but I don't see need for that as if I have a question, I'll just ask it on the zoom session.

Really worth it in my opinion. I feel like my fitness is better than it's ever been and Ive been doing the sport since 1991. I used to think I did not want coaching because I like to try and figure stuff out for myself, but now I realize this is much better. So nice to get home from work and just do the prescribed workout on Zwift instead of wasting time figuring out which workout to do. Strength training program they have on there is also great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lonniecdams wrote:
Jon, I am currently using another program, but it has changed drastically as far as delivery. Could you maybe answer these questions? I have found some answers on their website, but looking for an actual user to answer.

1. I like being able to download run/bike workouts onto my own platform and get a structured workout. I use TrainerRoad. Can you download structured workouts?
  2. Is there a seasonal progression/periodization that exists?
  3. For swim workouts does it prescribe tools to use?(buoy, snorkel, paddles)?
  4. Can you add race/recovery/injury builds or blocks to the program that is prescribed?
  5. If you want can you schedule a consult with one of the coaches, obviously at a fee?

Yes to all 5. Regarding #5 specifically, If you sign up for 6 or 12 months a start up call is included to help you direct your training based on whatever your goals are.

Canā€™t recommend this enough. All of the coaches are great and Iā€™d say 75% of the time I get responses from Dan himself. You could always do a few weeks at $25 weekly payments to see if you like it and then pull the trigger on a longer commitment, that is what I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thank you. Answered my questions fully appreciate the transparency!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lonniecdams wrote:
Awesome, thank you. Answered my questions fully appreciate the transparency!

+1

Thanks a lot, very helpful!
Last edited by: afrnz: Nov 7, 22 8:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
I am a member and pretty happy so far, the key aspect which may not be intuitive at first is access to the community - Dan Plews (founder) holds bi weekly zoom calls with the squad, other coaches have weekly calls and there are also special events with external guests and for example Dan recently held a seminar with a St George's course preview and heat adaptation tips etc. There is also a fairly active online discussion board so that every single question you have about training equipment or anything else will get answered by Dan or other coaches. The plan is not simply 100% automated as it includes for example tips on how to fuel each session (depending on type of work) and how to use HRV to place your sessions optimally within the week. They are also launching a video on demand platform with strength flexibility mobility exercises etc. I used to be with Purple Patch but over the years the platform has grown so much that it turned into a selling machine trying to encourage members to upgrade and buy additional tests from Inside Tracker, nutrition plans from Fuel In, online bike fitting (!?), sweat tests and PH drinks etc - in the end it was too much and it detracted from training. None of this from EndureIQ as in my experience Dan sees himself as a sport scientist first, and in my view is one of the sharpest minds in triathlon (coaches Gomez, Jan Van Berkel, is head of performance for New Zealand, the America's cup boat crew etc.). The calls alone are worth a lot more than the 25USD/week.

Do you see significant philosophy difference between Purple Patch and Endure IQ? I'm with PP and I'm actually pretty happy with it but i'm just curious. Especially given that Endure is 25 bucks a month cheaper.

I too was annoyed at some of the upsell stuff that PP did after a bit. But they actually did come out and apologize and say that wasn't their intention.

Also - I had an online bikefit with IOG and of the 1/2 dozen bike fits I've had in my life. It was the best and most valuable for a wide margin.
Quote Reply
Re: Endure IQ (Squad) any feedback? [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So endureiq is a smaller community so you get a lot of direct access to Dan himself, he shows up at least every other week and itā€™s usually not very busy, you can ask him a lot of questions. Also (although they are charged separately) I have to say the various LDT courses are so so good, itā€™s really the secret sauce of triathlon that many coaches donā€™t really want to share.

PP had a much more active Facebook group in the other hand, and for those who like them also live bike classes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is LDT?
Quote Reply
Re: Endure IQ (Squad) any feedback? [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long distance triathlon. They have a number of courses on nutrition training monitoring heat adaptation etc that go by the names of LDT 101, 102. Lots of coaches do them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
Long distance triathlon. They have a number of courses on nutrition training monitoring heat adaptation etc that go by the names of LDT 101, 102. Lots of coaches do them.

Cool. Thanks for the info. Appreciate the feedback.

Have you seen an improvement in performance from EIQ and PP?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jon, Im in similar situation being in EndureIQ but primarily going to use the Vasa SwimErg for weekday swim sessions. I asked in the EndureIQ Squad forum what was recommended and Dan Plews said "We have band workout in the workout library that can be substituted for the VASA"

Im curious how you substituted in Vasa workouts. Did you buy a separate swim workout plan for the Vasa Erg and plug that into days where swimming is listed in Today's Training?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to share a different perspective on Endure IQ. I had the pleasure of meeting Aaron Geiser, and having him stay with me in Kona. I have been in and around the sport of triathlon since the early 80's. His passion and knowledge were way beyond my level of comprehension. They had a number of athletes do very well, and it was easy to see why. He was following his athletes at other races and providing feedback to supporters who were on site at the race, simultaneously while following his athletes performances in Kona. He was on his phone providing updates and talking to people at all hours of the day. All this to say, that when you put that kind of knowledge and passion together, the combination is extremely powerful, and the results speak for themselves. He was gracious and always willing to answer my questions. If I were ever asked my thoughts on a coaching program I would be happy to refer Aaron and his team. They are all about creating customer delight and have a winning formula. As an athlete, it doesn't get any better than that.
Quote Reply
Re: Endure IQ (Squad) any feedback? [qngo01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi - when I had my plan set up in Today's Plan, I told Aaron that I swim primarily on the vasa, and he just plugged 3 days a week of vasa specific workouts into my calendar. They are good workouts that are 20-30 minutes long. I would email or ask on the forum how to find the vasa workouts and plug them in to your calendar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

Are you also doing the LCHF that he is doing?

Is the nutrition part of the coaching?

Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Endure IQ (Squad) any feedback? [dboatx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Session fuelling is very clearly specified - low intensity sessions limited carbs, intense ones you are given a specified amount, long easy rides suggestions to use proteins/fat. Basically right fuel right time approach to help improve fat oxydation.

General nutrition and LCHF are not part of the training plan you are given. There is a course LDT 101 which you can take and pay for separately and explains how to adapt LCHF for triathlon. I noticed on the calls that many members of the squad have done this course and are on various versions of the LCHF diet, but again this is separate from the coaching plans. For example I donā€™t do much LCHF but have done very well in my view, I may experiment with it a little over the winter but mostly out of my own interest. .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ItaloBritt wrote:
Session fuelling is very clearly specified - low intensity sessions limited carbs, intense ones you are given a specified amount, long easy rides suggestions to use proteins/fat. Basically right fuel right time approach to help improve fat oxydation.

General nutrition and LCHF are not part of the training plan you are given. There is a course LDT 101 which you can take and pay for separately and explains how to adapt LCHF for triathlon. I noticed on the calls that many members of the squad have done this course and are on various versions of the LCHF diet, but again this is separate from the coaching plans. For example I donā€™t do much LCHF but have done very well in my view, I may experiment with it a little over the winter but mostly out of my own interest. .

This is a good explanation. Iā€™d add that there are a few ā€œketoā€ programs within the plan database you can select that you can drop into your calendar should you choose to. I believe they give suggested workouts to use (Iā€™d assume lower intensity) as you transition your diet. Iā€™ve not used these, but I know theyā€™re out there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next