Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Endurance racing with one kidney?
Quote | Reply
My daughter was involved in a serious accident that resulted in the loss of one of her kidneys, her spleen, multiple ortho fractures, fracutred skull and facial fractures. She's several months out at this point and is beginning rehab. She is very young(school age child) but has grown up watching me race Ironman and marathons. Even though she's young, she's always told me she wants to compete in these events also. She was an excellent swimmer and runner, and has done several kid triathlons. As her injuries improve, we are thinking that her limiting factors will be the missing spleen and kidney, and the kidney in particular makes me think she'll likely never be able to do long course racing(which is OK). Believe me, I realize what's important and what's not, but I'm just wondering, curiously, if there are any slow twitchers out there racing on one kidney without affect? I have no intentions of allowing her to do anything AMA, was just wondering...
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance racing with one kidney? [31CapeHorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy did an altruistic kidney donation and is back doing marathons etc. Not the same as losing your kidney as a child but maybe that's actually a benefit because it gives her body longer to adjust to just having one kidney? (What do I know, I'm not a doctor.)

Good luck to her, you and your family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

So sorry about her accident and injuries. As an older road racer who had my atrophic kidney removed three years ago I can tell you that it hasn't slowed me down at all. Proper hydration is of the utmost importance though. Good luck to her with the rest of her rehab.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure the body can compensate for the lack of kidney. I have a friend without a spleen & she is plenty active/athletic, I don't think it has impacted her.

Sending good thoughts for your daughter's continued recovery.
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance racing with one kidney? [edbikebabe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks guys
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a kidney transplant 6 years ago and 6 weeks after my initial transplant my donor ran a 5k in 16:23. Granted he is a stellar runner, but he is just doing fine. I had the pleasure of coaching him to a 2:38 Marathon PR and 15:17 5k PR a few years after the transplant. My feeling is your daughter should be fine, but run it by your nephrologist to be sure. Long course is something for her to think about 15 years down the road, so i'm sure she will be fine. Best of luck!

Jason Kilderry
ETA Coach, LLC
http://www.etacoach.com
Last edited by: etacoach: Jun 9, 15 13:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This post caught my attention as I was born with only one kidney and I am planning a full distance triathlon in August. I was thinking that I should consult with my nephrologist just to be sure he thinks it will work. I did a HIM last summer and things went just fine. I am thinking that hydration will be key to make sure the one functioning kidney is working well. Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Just a couple of years ago my wife donated a kidney to one of our friends. We both offered but she was the better match after testing. We have had to modify our diets slightly, we look for low sodium foods mostly and she is doing fine. She has to concentrate on drink a lot of water but that's about it. She is a marathoner who still in her early 60's can win overall masters, about a 3:50 finish time. She was 60 (?) when she donated.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lost half of my kidney due to some dick wagon shooting me. I've been doing triathlons with no problems (other than being slow) since 2008. I mountain bike raced at a high level since 2002ish.

Quote | Reply
DAMN YOU. I MAdeE A BE WITH MY KIDS WHEN I WOKE UP THIS MORNING THAT I WOULDN'T HEAR OR SEE SOMEONE USE THE PHRASE DICK WAGON SHOOTING ME. NOW I HAVE TO MOW THE LAW AND DO THE DISH. THANKS...JUST THANKS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG, your poor, poor baby! i have no answer for your questions but i just wanted to give you a virtual hug for what an awful time you must have had and continue to go through. having a kid hurt (and so badly!) is something every parent fears. you poor dears. give that baby of yours a nice hug from the crazy lady in mexico. :)

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Endurance racing with one kidney? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's extremely lucky to be alive, it was as close as it gets. It was an absolute nightmare to nearly lose a child. The worst thing imaginable. It's the kind of thing that happens to other people. We are just so thankful she's improved as much as she has.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think its more important to monitor renal function, than worry about 1 kidney vs 2. I am recovering from surgery where 1/3 of a kidney was removed (basal cell carcinoma), while the remaining kidney cells are 90% killed off by some auto-immune attack. However, the remaining cells try to pick up the slack. My remnants or renal cells still give me a GFR of 23%. On most days, I don't notice. I still think I can go under a 5:00 half. I do find the shorter intense work harder than the long endurance training. I am still seeing what my limits are. Never underestimate the ability for the body to adapt, especially if she is young. Based on my experiences, if her 1 kidney is intact, she will have no problems.

All the best to you, and to her recovery.

CB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Santillana, one of the most succesfull Spanish soccer players of all times, only had one kidney. Actually he had two, but one of them did not work due to a genetic malformation. This was only discovered when he was a professional.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OMG my heart just goes out to you. many hugs and sympathies.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: Endurance racing with one kidney? [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is off topic, but they replaced 100% of her blood volume in the first surgery(1hr after accident) and continued to transfuse her for the next several days in the ICU as well as OR during subsequent surgeries. The blood bank saved her life, so please donate when you have an opportunity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm withy Cathy here - I have no input to your question but hugs to you and your daughter!!!

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance racing with one kidney? [RockyMtnChic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RockyMtnChic wrote:
I'm withy Cathy here - I have no input to your question but hugs to you and your daughter!!!

Thank you. She is a miracle--doing extremely well right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know someone born with only one kidney that has done multiple IMs.

I'm happy to hear your daughter is improving and has overcome so much at a young age. May her rehab continue well. I'm sure you are an inspiration to her as she has watched you over the years with training and discipline which is needed while recovering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a kidney removed due to cancer.

I still do distance training and have all my labs come back within normal range, the same normal ranges people with two kidneys have.

Avoid ibuprofin except for very extreme circumstances and only very occasionally. It's hard on kidneys.

DanH
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance racing with one kidney? [ProudMOPer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ProudMOPer wrote:
. My remnants or renal cells still give me a GFR of 23%.

Damn, that must suck.... good luck
Quote Reply