Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Endurance
Quote | Reply
So as a topic that has come up on several occasions recently is endurance and flying round the world none stop. One achievement that I think ranks up there and in my opinion surpasses that is sailing solo around the world in a tri-miran (sp?)

Ellen McCarthur (sp?) sailed solo around the world in 71 days and change, through the southern seas, the north and south atlantic, through enormous storms and did not sight or smell land for 2 months.

She suffered sleep deprivation at one point clocking 20 minutes of sleep in one 72 hour period, they know this because she was being monitored with bio monitoring equipment by her shore crew.

She climbed a 110 foot mast twice in the north atlantic.

Can you imagine being thousands of miles from the nearest person and knowing that if anything goes pear shaped you are well and truly on your own, if it breaks you need to fix it, if you have to stay awake for three days thats what you do. If there is a storm and you cant sail round it, you go through it.

The woman was amazing.

On top of which having read Tom D's read on Deep survival, she highlighted through out the documentary on her journey the sense of humour she had to keep, the sense of amazement being out there and the coolest film was of her sitting on one of the outside parts of tri-miran as the sun set, somewhere you'd assume in the atlantic.

I thought the whole documentary and her journey were fantastic, if you get the chance to see it I reccomend it.
Quote Reply
Re: Endurance [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great feast. I recently went to a Banff mountain film festival and was amazed by Jon Muir video "Alone across Australia". Read the ABC article (http://www.abc.net.au/...amsales/s1216121.htm) below to see what I mean. For the record, he's also a great alpinist. Alone Across Australia

Year of Production: 2004
Duration: 51 mins
(c) Shark Film Productions Pty. Ltd.

In 2001, one of the world's most accomplished and versatile rock climbers and adventurers, Jon Muir began a solo and unsupported 2,500-kilometre odyssey to cross Australia from the south to the north coast on foot.

For 128 days, Jon and his Jack Russell terrier, Seraphine, survived entirely off the land, hunting and gathering along the way, using survival techniques practised for thousands of years by the aborigines.

He took one cart packed with limited supplies, one compass and 55 maps, choosing to live off the land across the deserts and salt lakes between his starting point, Port Augusta, and final destination, Burketown, in the Gulf of Carpentaria.

Jon was taxed to the limit physically and emotionally. Often close to despair, he drew on his immense mental discipline, instinct for survival, deep understanding of the land and his remarkable inner strength to continue.
A true larger-than-life character, Jon filmed and narrated this multi award winning documentary himself. Interviews and long distance zoom lens shots were filmed 12 months after the expedition.

[See below for the full list of film festival entries and awards which this documentary has won to date]

Curriculum links: Alone Across Australia has relevance to the NSW Education English Area of Study - Journeys. The documentary has links to Rabbit Proof Fence, and Shackelton and provides material for discusison of the documentary film and techniques used.

See also another Award winning documentary produced by Ian Darling - [Woodstock for Capitalists] plus other programs on adventurous journeys as listed below.

-----

See this link for the other crazy thing he's done : http://www.everesthistory.com/climbers/jmuir.htm

Richard

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever" - Larry Andersen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By the way, I'm also reading Deep Survival and it's really good. Jon Muir uses a lot of humor in troubled times. He films himself and find a way to be really funny especially when he's in deep shit!

I think there was on topic like 2 weeks ago that talked about Ellen McCarthur . I would've love to see this documentary

Richard

Quote Reply
Re: Endurance [rferron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She is hard as nails, there is no question that when in 70+ foot seas in the southern oceans sailing at 36 knots in 40+ knot winds that you have to have a lot of strength of character not to lose your S**t.

That combined with the fact you are solo on a boat for 71 days and thousands of miles from land has got to require a certain strength of mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Actually, what impresses me the most is the sleep depravation that she, like other sailors, had to go through. Sleep depravation in a 70 days of life and death situation is quite admirable.

Richard

Quote Reply