Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Embrunman: all you need is a 36x19...
Quote | Reply
To all,

If you are there and you did the training, just finish the damn thing, even if everything is conspiring against you, it is worth it.

I am about 2 weeks removed from Embrunman. While I had a good training leading up to the race, I lined up on the start line less than ready due to personal issues. I am not going to detail all of it (would take a while), but I had a bout of panic on the swim (could not put my face in a fairly warm water), had my (rental) bike stuck on a 36x19 gear (discharged battery, even though I did recharge it the day before, but since I don't have electric shifting systems on my bikes I was unaware that the damn thing discharge overnight in certain conditions), and lost my running shoes during set-up (and had a cramped foot from the get go due to my grinding all day up 9% slopes).

So, it didn't go the way i wished it to go, what with all my family being there, but I finished it. While I can remember the misery of the whole day, stuck at 14mph on flatish section with my ass bobbing up and down, my first walk of death ever on a marathon, but I can't imagine how bad it would feel now had I not finished.

It was not all my doing though: without the help of good Samaritans on the way, I would have quit. I screamed and broke down more than a few times, but at those critical moments there was always some random person encouraging me to keep going. On the swim, I actually swam back to the start, unable to breathe: one guy stopped initially miffed that I was going the wrong way, but then even in the dark he must have seen my panic and telling me to get back in there, so I did. Right after T1, fiddling with my bike aimlessly trying to get it to work, a volunteer came up and tried to help me, finally delivering his verdict after looking at my gear: "ca va passer l'Izoard", meaning I could go over, so I did. And what really broke me, the lost shoes, it took a collective effort of 5-6 volunteers, truck and motorcycle, to recover them. These volunteers were later on the run encouraging me "Gogo, shoes!", so I pushed my bloody foot to continue. The real shout-out of this post goes to these incredible volunteers and racers and family, who helped me finish, despite the desolation following me (not to mention the sights of busy ambulances, too many of them...).

The course is unbelievable. I never rode the Alps before, but I will be back there. You all know that, but for the first time I think I experienced the human experience of Ironman racing, and even racing in general. After all this suffering, I might be done with long course racing, but I am sure glad I finish. So you finish too, it's worth it!
Last edited by: Baboonator: Aug 27, 18 7:24
Quote Reply
Re: Embrunman: all you need is a 36x19... [Baboonator] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to convince the wife to go next year, but not sure if the short course will be enough for her as she wouldn't be able to complete the full.
Might have to promise her some Mediterranean beach time after.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super Well done to you on getting to the finish at Embrun! Keep that medal with you for the rest of your life as its a special one to have in the chest! That swim is hectic, I know of 3 pros that stopped after having a panic attack themselves. Once you get to the far end of the lake and the suns starts to peak out, it's magic! Congrats again to you, you have shown what the true ironman spirit is!

Scott DeFilippis
Professional Triathlete
Coach and Co/Founder
KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how you got over the col with a 36 X 19. You should get an award for that.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Embrunman: all you need is a 36x19... [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
By never sitting down on my saddle, and screwing up my foot (unbeknownst to me). That's how you do it.

Definitively happy to have that medal, still bitter that I kinda wasted all the fitness I had, not that I would have cracked the top 100, but it could have been close I think. This whole ratio thing really screwed up my run.

But then, like I said, I really need to reconsider why I do these races, because I discovered an aspect of them that I did not know before since I was only focused on racing, going as fast as I could. You really have to appreciate all the machinery, volunteers, spectators that gravitate around these races. And take in the scenery, it kept me distracted from dark thoughts on the bike...

On a side not to NordicRacer, keep in mind that one of the race (forgot which one) was canceled this year for the lack of security/police. They were planning 2 men swim waves and ended up doing only one for a lack or entrants. If you add the grumbling of some of the downtown folks, I personally see a pattern where this race might not be around forever (I've seen it happen with B2B, maybe different problems, but some similar), as it is now...just as a FYI.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I "did" Embrunman in 2017. I landed in Lyon on Sunday. Bike did not land. After several long phone calls to airline using hotel phone (thanks French hotel, didn't want to incur big long distance charges) it seemed my bike would come the next day. It was supposed to arrive at 230 pm but more like 300pm This gave me 3 hours to get to Embrun from Lyon. Lots of speeding involved. Thought I had it in the bag until I hit the traffic jam coming into Embrun.

I made it 20 min after registration "closed" but very nice French lady let me register. She then told me I had twenty min to get bike into transition before they let loose the dogs. Guard dogs. Drove down to transition. Heavy traffic. Got stopped 500 m from entrance ran bike in bag down rest of hill whilst police let me "double park". Made it with 10 min to spare did most of bike assembly. All this done with "Mon Francais nes pas tres bien." Je suis desole

Next morning I went down the hill from Embrun village to transition at 430. Find out I need my passport to get in. Now running back up hill to get passport from hotel and back down again. Get bike organized and now join swim at back of mass start. Spend first lap swimming through half the field. Then start bike. Made it to about 8 km short of summit and missed cut off.

Still count it as a great experience. The bike course and atmosphere on the course rocked. Cost also only 300 euro. After having dinner I went back and cheered the people running. Bravo!

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply