Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ebay scam?
Quote | Reply
Ok, I came across these bikes that cost 1500 dollars on ebay the other day, including shipping, like the trek tt, 5900, and cannondale r5000....this just sounds too cheap to be real, what do you guys think? here's an email from the seller:

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your email .
We are a private company based in Bastia, France and we have all these marvellous bikes available for sale:
Yeti DH 9 Downhill Full suspension Freeride
Trek Fuel 100 - 2003 Mountain Bike NEW!
Trek Diesel Freeride - 2003 Mountain Bike NEW
Trek 4500 - 2003 Mountain Bike NEW!
S-Works FSR 2003 Mountain Bike NEW!
S-Works Enduro 2003 Mountain Bike NEW!
MAVERICK PRO ML7 XTR MOUNTAIN BIKE ! 2003
Epic Marathon 2003 Mountain Bike NEW!
Epic Disc 2003 Mountain Bike NEW!
Cannondale Jekyll 3000 NEW- 2004 model!
Cannondale Jekyll 3000 NEW! 2003
Cannondale Jekyll 1000 NEW- 2004 model!
BigHit DH 2003 Mountain Bike NEW!
Trek 5900 - 2003 Road Bike NEW!
Team Time Trial Lance 2003 Road Bike NEW!
S-Works E5 Road 2003 Road Bike NEW!
CannondaleTeam replica NEW- 2004 model!
Cannondale R5000 NEW- 2004 model!
2002 Litespeed Ultimate Dura-ace
All sizes and colors are available.
The bikes are brand new in factory boxes, never opened, never asambled, never ridden.
We inform you that the bikes are sealed in their original boxes. The warranty is not yet activated so you don’t have to worry. It will be activated once the package is shipped.
The price for one bike is $1500 including the shipping charges .We will deliver the bikes by FeDex Express .Delivery takes 2 days.Shipping is done in the same day payment is cleared.
The items are no longer listed because we sold most of them or we've already found buyers for them .
For payment we accept money orders ,personal cheques,wire transfers.
We received 800 questions for these bikes in the last hours, it's like a bomb email .
If you are still interested to buy one of our great bikes please email us a.s.a.p. and we will answer you promptly with all the purchase details.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebay scam? [050596] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hi 050596, so just curious but do you have huge quads and assorted monsterous muscles? Just checking if I'm guessing who you are correctly. And I sure would love to know if this is a hoax or not as well. I'm guessing it is but you never know.
Quote Reply
Re: Ebay scam? [Tai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol, i wouldn't consider my quads huge or something, what makes you say that anyways...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have seen postings from folks who have been burned on both the trek 5900 and the timetrial recently. E-bay has removed a few 5900 listings, there have been postings of complaints by legit sellers that other sellers are steeling their ad pictures and using them. It seems to be quite a mess and ebays credibility as a place to purchase hi-end bikes is coming into question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do they accept PayPal. Generally - if they do not, there is a reason. Paypal can retrieve funds from a seller if it turns out to be fraud. If they say they've had a problem with PayPal, that could be the reason. I almost got burned by someone, but when I tried to "stop by" as they were in the same town as me, they refused

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Animal!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SCAMSCAMSCAMSCAM. This has been going on Ebay for quite some time now. They like the high end bikes like Trek 5900, TT and Litespeed Vortex. They also like wire transfers etc, because there is no recourse. Also notive they never a list a size or they list that they have all sizes available. Write them saying you live in France and are willing to come pick the bike up and see what they say. SCAMSCAM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
whoops, sorry about that. A friend of mine, who just happens to be mr. ripped triathlete, called me right before your post went up with the same question about the same ebay auctions. I was kinda of curious if you might be him but I guess not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This sounds like a scam. Before you delve into any kind of purchase like this, it pays to get hip to the rip-off schemes out there -- there are a lot of them, but they all seem to have the same hallmarks.

A good place to start is to check out the "good seller/bad seller" forum on RoadBikeReview.com:

http://forums.consumerreview.com/crforum?14@@.ef6c1de

bub
Quote Reply
laughing my butt off! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bastia is in Corsica (island in the mediterranean sea)...know for its beauty ( ile de beaute), wine, cheese, tourism, terrorism (unfortunately), people with strong minds, and Napoleon...

It takes 2 days for a Fed Ex shipment to arrive to Paris...so how the hell do they want to ship anything anywhere else in 2 days???

Besides, except the above and related, there aren't any real companies based in Corsica
Quote Reply
Re: laughing my butt off! [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with you François, Bastia is a very unusual place to ship bikes world wide, ..

.. without huge additionnal costs !!

Anyway, I live in France and I never heard of that bike seller with those very low prices. Seems not very honest !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, hold the phone.....has all common sense been lost?

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck......

But, if you're really interested, I could sell you Wonderwoman's car....interested. Good price, $1500.
Quote Reply