Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Easton vs. Reynolds forks, please help
Quote | Reply
I'm in the process of rebuilding the front end of my road bike (i.e. going from a threaded to a threadless system, all new headset and stem). I figure it's time to bring it into the new millennium.

I've narrowed my choices down to the Easton EC-90 SL and the Reynolds Ouzo Pro (the 1" steerer tube versions). From a price point of view, there isn't too much of a delta, so that really doesn't figure into the mix.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages or likes/dislikes that would cause me to choose one over the other?

Please let me know your thoughts, and thanks in advance. Respectfully, Flo
Quote Reply
Re: Easton vs. Reynolds forks, please help [Airflo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Flip a coin. They're both really good. Other than that, see if the decal scheme makes any difference to you. Ze Gopha might be able to help you with that angle!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an Easton EC90 SL on my soloist, I like it, personally I don't think you would notice any riding difference between them. If it helps, i know in all the pictures of the CSC team, they have reynolds on their bikes.. Dan I believe has a review of a reynolds fork on the site somewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Airflo,

Good question.

I had a conversation with a bike industry rep., Superdave of Felt Bicycles, on Friday. I asked Dave if the Reynolds Ouzo Pro Aero had been discontinued. There has been talk of that for some time. He told me it has. According to what Dave told me, it is no longer in production. There are a substantial amount of them in inventories, but, I am told, once those are gone that is it.

I guess, but do not know for fact, a reason for that was that the depth to width (aspect) ratio of this fork exceeded the UCI rules. That doesn't affect you or I, but may have been a concern for the company.

Also, All fork crown are not equal. Some forks have a higher crown assembly that may raise the front of the bike ever so slightly and affect your relative head and seat angles. The Easton fork, I believe (but am not positive) is a slightly higher crown than the fork that comes with the Cervelo P3SL, so I put an Easton fork on my P3SL. It is a very nice fork.

I've ridden and sold both forks, but with the confusion over the on-going production of the Reynolds fork, we've stopped putting a lot of energy behind selling it.

Easton has an excellent discount program right now also called "Fork it Over" where you can get a new 2005 Easton fork at a very reasonable price.

Both good forks, but I like Easton.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Easton vs. Reynolds forks, please help [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OH, Duh. I should have added. Some Easton forks are coming with a carbon fiber dropout (as opposed to aluminum on the Reynolds). The entire fork is carbon- no metal. That is amazing. Great durability, ride quality and feather light weight. Very impressive.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Easton vs. Reynolds forks, please help [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe he is looking at the Ouzo Pro, not the Pro Aero. Is this correct? FWIW, I love that fork but have no experience with the Easton.
Quote Reply
Re: Easton vs. Reynolds forks, please help [David Clinkard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Rudy Project guy on the forum as well?!?! Cool. Your products rock. Thank you for making a set of performance sunglasses that fit my large cranium. The Ekynox is a wonderful product..keep up the good work.
Quote Reply