Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Easton Tempest II vs. Ritchey Protocol
Quote | Reply
So I've been thinking of getting a new wheelset and the Rolf thread has spured me into posting.

I've heard lots of great things about the Easton (Velomax) Tempest II and also the Ritchey Protocol. The eastons are a tiny bit heavier, but also a hair deeper. I'm looking for an all around wheel that I'd use for training rides, crits, and the occasional hilly tri. (assuming I get out and start running again) I don't really care about wheel weight or going with deep rims. I'm also running well over 200 lbs right now, but thankfully the weight is coming down once again. My target weight is 190-195.

So, any opinions?
Quote Reply
Re: Easton Tempest II vs. Ritchey Protocol [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At 190 pounds, stick with 32 or 36 spoke wheels, especially if you plan on using it for training. A wheel that you possibly can't ride home on if you brake a single spoke - any of the lower spoke count wheels would be an issue. You don't need to worry about wheel weight if you yourself can lose multiples of the difference between the wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I've heard lots of great things about the Easton (Velomax) Tempest II
I have owned two sets of these since they became available and have nothing but good things to say about them. Although I now use American Classic CR-350's for training wheels and have American Classic 58mm carbon wheels for roadie road races, I still depend on the the Tempest II's as my primary criterium wheels and find that paired with Veloflex Paves clinchers, they are very nice. The wife and I have both used them as training wheels and in over 10,000 miles of riding, the only problems I have experienced:
  • Damaged bearing cover first time I tried to service bearings (failed to read service literature posted on Velomax's website)
  • Broken spoke nipple as a result of attempting to true wheel prior to realizing spoke nipples had threadlock compound applied at factory (again failure to RTFM).

Both times the problems where self induced as nothing was wrong other than my perception and in both cases, there would have been nothing wrong with doing absolutely nothing. Velomax, now Easton's technical support was excellent in both cases as I got the wheel rebuilt for $90 when I broke the spoke nipple, and new bearings/covers were only $40 and much easier to install after I RTFM! Finally, I am 6' and currently 170 (racing trim) but when I first got the wheels, I was out of shape and put in a lot of miles on them while I was weighing around 195-200 and still did not have any problems with flex or durability. Velomax even recommends the Tempest II or Orions for heavier riders.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by: ms6073: Jun 24, 05 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Easton Tempest II vs. Ritchey Protocol [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a good point but I've had no issue with low spoke count wheels to date. Maybe I've just been lucky. I have a set of Rolfs with 18 in the rear which have been great as well as a set of Bontragers with 24. (Though I feel the Bontragers are crap even though no spokes have broken.) I also have a set of Velocity Deep Vs with 32 or 36 (I can't remember off hand) and I think they're great for training, but I was thinking I might like something I'd consider for racing too.

My Velocitys are on my tri bike, the bontragers are confined to the trainer, and I'd like to retire the Rolfs which are on my road bike.

I totally agree with your wheel weight comment, I'm not concerned with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must be super hard on equipment because I've broken spokes (on older wheels) lots and I only weigh 150. :) But I use my road bike for everything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tempest IIs rule. Shoot me a PM if you want to buy a set (new). I've got the hookup.
Quote Reply
Re: Easton Tempest II vs. Ritchey Protocol [SWoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like I go through bearings quickly. I think I've been lucky with spokes (knock on wood) so far. But there are definitely some wheels, like my Bontragers, that feel mushy when I ride them. I hate descending with them so I don't ride them except on the trainer. I have a hunch that if I rode them more I'd likely have problems. (These are the cheapo Bontragers and they're a few years old. I don't know if this model is still made. I'm not trying to bash Bontrager as a whole.)
Quote Reply