Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ESPN Douchbag
Quote | Reply
Who is this dickwad anyway?

Tour de France: Car crashing into cyclists draws laughs from ESPN’s Michael Smith Washington Post http://t.co/hLaKCHE via @washingtonpost

For real, am I wrong for laughing at that Tour de France crash? Can't get over the driver speeding off as if he didn't know he hit someone!

Michael Smith[/url]
MrMichael_Smith

Complain to ESPN about Michael Smith at http://t.co/YUpNjQZ

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com

Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Douchbag [trackie clm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the same show, Woody Paige said something like "annoying cyclists on the road when you're trying to get to work."

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Douchbag [Paulo Sousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's the quote from Woody Paige:

"We don't want bikes on the road when we're going to work"

-

The Triathlon Squad

Like us on Facebook!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sent. Reply said they'll share it with their producers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember it was the PTI show and Tony Kornheiser made a few comments about cyclists (may have been like 2006 or even during Lance's 2nd comeback) and Lance came on the show and just completely called him out on it and made him basically eat his words.

Michael Smith is a newer type of espn molded announcer. Is more involved with the nfl shows, so I'm sure he'll simply write out a "I'm sorry, blah blah blah" message and all will be forgotten.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone on espn only seems to care about football, baseball, and basketball. For everything else it seems like they sort of "make fun" of it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was watching ESPN on Mon and I was amazed at several of the comments RE: the crash. I was thinking WTF is wrong with these guys.

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He is trying to minimize the damage of what he posted. Probably because he just realized he could lose his job. I have sent a complaint to ESPN and hopefully he will get removed permanently

Quote:

MrMichael_Smith Michael Smith
I apologize for my insensitive remarks re: the TdF crash. I recognize my comments were inappropriate given the serious nature of the crash.
1 hour ago
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a way the car crash is so stupid it is comical. I'm not saying it's funny, but what the possible acceptable reactions to someone seeing the crash can either be shock or laughter, but are basically the same reaction for some people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to Wikipedia:

"He was fired by ESPN on July 12, 2011 for outrageous tweets concerning a cyclist in the Tour de France whom was hit by a car."

http://en.wikipedia.org/...28sports_reporter%29

Is this true?
Last edited by: Jon h: Jul 12, 11 21:03
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Douchbag [YaHey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
While unfortunate - I sorta laughed a bit when I saw the crash. I dont want to see most people get hurt but the whole scenario is surreal. For some jag who does nothing more than pontificate about a bunch of men who play with balls in a fashion an ESPN reporter never could to understand cycling is like asking a monkey that knows sign language to do a full report on War and Peace. I cant say that I ever for any reason have watched ESPN and can not imagine I ever will find a reason to start.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sent in my complaint, FWIW. thanks for the heads-up.
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Douchbag [Jon h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure this will draw fire from all you elitist cyclists......but it's not exactly like he was hit by some "random car". Personally, I think it's deplorable, but we're not talking about a guy headed to work (so don't pretend all cyclists are in the right, many don't pay any attention at all to road rules, which causes alot of these comments) who hit a bike rider. This should be kept within the cycling community. It has NO BEARING on day to day motorists and cyclists. Shame on ESPN as well for letting it get to that level. This was a car in the "convoy". Geez.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is disappointing. Michael Smith is a relatively competent commentator when it comes to the "main-stream" sports and he is great on Around the Horn...

Unfortunately, he is evidently also a d-bag.

Complaint/Concern sent to ESPN.

Last edited by: honorablegoat: Jul 12, 11 21:18
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Douchbag [Painless] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, and I admit that when I was watching it I let out a slight chuckle in response to the absurdity of the whole situation.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Painless wrote:
I'm sure this will draw fire from all you elitist cyclists......but it's not exactly like he was hit by some "random car". Personally, I think it's deplorable, but we're not talking about a guy headed to work (so don't pretend all cyclists are in the right, many don't pay any attention at all to road rules, which causes alot of these comments) who hit a bike rider. This should be kept within the cycling community. It has NO BEARING on day to day motorists and cyclists. Shame on ESPN as well for letting it get to that level. This was a car in the "convoy". Geez.

Actually, it does apply to regular riders. This car was told not to pass the leaders and choose to do so, violating the rules of the road just like people who are driving to work do when they come upon a cyclist that they perceive is in their way.

And it went beyond the cycling community when it was broadcast and this idiot decided it was funny.

Oh and almost no one on the ST forums qualify as elite cyclists by any stretch of the imagination -- even the triathlon pro's that frequent or lurk here.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Douchbag [Sparks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I let out a slight chuckle

Really?? People nearly getting killed is funny to you...
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Douchbag [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's ridiculous Kona.

That car was part of the "parade". Go on and tell me when a cyclist is OK riding down the middle of the road and a car has to pass on the wrong side of the road. (yeah, I'm sure I'm going to hear about how the right and wrong side are different in Europe....STFU, bikes don't ride 5 deep in the middle of the road and expect cars to deal with it).

This happened within the context of a bike race. It shouldn't have been cast in the light of everyday cyclists no matter what the cause or effect.

To think otherwise is comical.
Last edited by: Painless: Jul 12, 11 21:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's exactly the same as someone driving to work thinking they're more important than the bike in front of them. That's what happened, that's the attitude the driver had and that is what caused some rather serious injuries. Nothing funny about it. And if you think there is you are a sociopathic a--.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah, I thought it was funny. (sarcasm so a moron can keep up)

Typical response on this forum. What I think is funny is your over-the-top response. Go back and tell me where I thought it was funny ya goofball.

I'll say it again....this happened within the context of a bike race....both parties had permission to be there. One party was an idiot. He wasn't on his way to work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Oh and almost no one on the ST forums qualify as elite cyclists by any stretch of the imagination -- even the triathlon pro's that frequent or lurk here.

Um....I think you may be a bit off base there.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link Cathy. message sent

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Douchbag [xcsnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xcsnail wrote:
Quote:
I let out a slight chuckle

Really?? People nearly getting killed is funny to you...

Really? Yes. As I said, I let out a slight chuckle in response to the absurdity of the whole situation.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Complaint lodged at ESPN. Truly unbelieveable....especially given the number of deaths and near deaths our friends and family have suffered as a result of car crashes with cyclists (I have had to attend 2 funerals because of cars hitting cyclists)...I hardly think someone like Rappster or anyone else that has been hit by a vehicle would "chuckle a bit".... at least, I know I wouldn't...but I guess that might just be me...

Last edited by: jar70: Jul 12, 11 22:29
Quote Reply
Re: ESPN Douchbag [R10C] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
R10C wrote:

Quote:

Um....I think you may be a bit off base there.

WAY off base.
Quote Reply

Prev Next