Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

EPO ?
Quote | Reply
Now that we've learned how EPO works, what it does for you, where to get it and the time span for positive tests maybe someone can answer something I just don't understand.

Why would you take EPO within 1 week of a one day race?

That was all I could think of when Nina Kraft tested positive. Best I can tell you wouldn't get a perfomance improvement until your hct rises and that would take a few days. Since urine tests only test within 0-7 days wouldn't it be smarter to just take it until say 10 days out. I just seems like only the dishonest and stupid get caught.

Pat
Quote Reply
Re: EPO ? [Trillini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people aren't as smart as others? Like the guy that blood doped with his own blood, except when he had the blood drawn he was on steroids and put "dirty" blood in right before the Olympics and got busted.

Doping is a very scientific process, and there is a huge game of cat and mouse going on all the time. The dopers come up with some new stuff then the testers have to figure out what it is and how to detect it. That is why there is some validity into the latest LA allegations. EPO didn't have a test at the time LA was accused of being positive. If chain of custody was sound and the EPO markers aren't broken down over time maybe they should hold samples fo long periods of time.

I am sure there was some form of PED's used in the original Olympics and probably be used in the next ones too.
Quote Reply
Re: EPO ? [Trillini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yet another case for altitude tents

Do it legally and its not an issue
Quote Reply
Re: EPO ? [Gary Tingley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so what happens if your altitude tent is really effective and it raises you hematocrit level over 50 percent? Assuming you are a pro cyclist, since they are the only ones with that rule. Is that safe. What is the hematocrit level of people that live at 10,000 feet in the mountains?

Did we crucify Pantani all those years ago by kicking him out of the Giro when his level was too high? I tend to think not, but who's to say the innocent are not being thrown out with the guilty. Sometimes I wonder if scientist know as much as they think they know. Their attitudes can be incredibly arrogant at times.

Chad
Quote Reply
Re: EPO ? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Ok, so what happens if your altitude tent is really effective and it raises you hematocrit level over 50 percent?"

>> I go really fast, wear a do-rag, and change my name to "Elafantino"

"Assuming you are a pro cyclist, since they are the only ones with that rule. "

>> Im not a pro, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night

"Is that safe. "

>>Yes, until your heart explodes

"What is the hematocrit level of people that live at 10,000 feet in the mountains? "

>> Does not matter, all that matters is the effects of the rider's hemocrit, and sometimes that does not matter either, I dont live at 10,000

Some reading: http://arniebakercycling.com/...evel_competition.htm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok then,

Sign me up. How much can you get one of those for these days?

Chad

P.S. You must live in California. They are the only ones still awake at this hour.
Quote Reply
Re: EPO ? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the Hypoxico tent retails for ~$6k
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use it to sleep in or use it for IHT (intermittently)

A high altitude adapter is available to go from 9000 to 14000 feet

Tent fits over a queen size bed, or an air matress can be used inside it

You can also rent the unit to try it

My coach estimates the effects of the system will knock 1 minute off my 40k, encouraging ... as I am trying to get into the 53:xx range and it is tough to go this fast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow,

That works out to be $100 per second improvement. It seems the faster I go, the harder it is to buy more speed. :)

Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tents also improve more things than just RBC counts unlike EPO.

Bobby Julich has a great TdF diary in this month's Procycling and in talking about Dario Frigo said "we have more tests than any other sport, but there's at least one more test we don't have and that we need: and that's an intelligence test."
Quote Reply