Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

EBAY HELP!!!
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

I was hoping somebody in the know could help me on my liability to pay for an item I bid on. I am not a deadbeat and I have a 100% positive rating. I recently bid on something as high as I wanted to go for it. I got an email letting me know that I had been outbid so I arranged to buy another bike locally for significantly less money. (was just looking for a beater, got a little ambitious on ebay when I saw something shiny) Then I got an email saying that the bid that beat me was retracted; and that I was once again the high bidder. I was told information, I acted on that information, it would now cause damages. I dont think I am liable for that payment. does anybody know? Once again, not a dead beat, not trying to get out of paying, just dont want to be forced to buy two bikes.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: EBAY HELP!!! [TriRTR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given that someone else could retract their bid, why can't you be allowed to retract yours
Quote Reply
Re: EBAY HELP!!! [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Given that someone else could retract their bid, why can't you be allowed to retract yours

That. Oh, and tell them to FRO at the same time. Cheeky bastards.

https://www.pbandjcoaching.com
https://www.thisbigroadtrip.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
unknown... I am working that angle right now, the guidlines for retraction dont include my exact situation, so i was just curious if anybody else had experienced this.

Thanks, that was where I tried to go first, I have also contacted the seller and am waiting on a response. just like to have my ducks in a row before I start making claims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the higher bidder retracts then you are the next highest bidder, they can ask you if you want the item only they cannot expect you to purchase it as you lost that auction. I would just send them an e mail telling you are no longer interested seeing you lost out first time. Cheers LA Rob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Save the email/notification that said you were #2. Should be able to work with that. I've heard sellers being reasonable in a case like this. I might contact the seller directly. All that they can really do is ding your rating. Lots of people don't pay in time and the user often just re-lists.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's BS. You were outbid and you bailed. That's how bidding works. You should not have to buy but should be ALLOWED to buy it if you feel like it still. Let us know how it works out.

~~~~~~~~~
Empire Tri Coach
Team Gatorade Endurance
USATF Coach | NYRR Distance Pacer
Dad of twins
Quote Reply
Re: EBAY HELP!!! [Mendeldave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ALRIGHT!! Well, I contacted ebay, called em up, and talked to somebody (very nice) they told me that it was perfectly acceptable to retract my bid, given the circumstances. I am pretty happy about it, and the resolution, if it changes. I will post here. Thanks for the quick responses and support. once again, the ST community comes through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did it work out
Quote Reply
Re: EBAY HELP!!! [jfplumer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in the same situation a couple years ago. I was outbid. The buyer retracted his offer and I was told I had the option of buying or not. I bought and it was at my bid price. I could have walked away with no pressure to buy. That was according to ebay.
Quote Reply
Re: EBAY HELP!!! [vtlars] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
was the bid retracted prior to the end of the auction?

many times bidders use another eBay name or a friends to up the bidding on items they sell. I once bid on a vehicle on eBay and it went up another 8k+. the auction ended with the 1st place bidder winning, leaving me in 2nd place. I happened to email the winner a few minutes later and got a response from the actual seller. So the seller was upping the bid price from the same computer he was selling from. Idiot so I decided if he lied about that there was no way I spending over 40k site unseen.
But if the bid was retracted prior to the end of the auction then you cna be held liable. The seller can not leave negative feedback anyways so who really cares. He can leave positive feedback and a bad comment though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:

this
Quote Reply
Re: EBAY HELP!!! [HawkLBacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HawkLBacker wrote:
JoeO wrote:

this

So if you don't want to buy the item tell the seller. No one is going to make me do anything I don't want to do. It is not the end of the world, just don't do it again ;)
Quote Reply
Re: EBAY HELP!!! [So-Awesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing just happened to me. As soon as I got the e-mail saying someone else retracted I e-mailed the seller telling them I didn't want it and please retract my bid. I heard nothing back and now I've "won" a bike I don't want. We'll see what happens...
Quote Reply
Re: EBAY HELP!!! [smorris793] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am so sorry this happened to you, you can retract your bid as well. It is what I had to do. I dont know the protocol after a retraction.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you get yours retracted?
Quote Reply
Re: EBAY HELP!!! [smorris793] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh it was under faq, you have to follow it down, all the way, ask the question can I retract? it trys to answer, and eventually, if you are persistent, it tells you. I googled how to retract and it walks you through it.
Quote Reply