Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dura Ace 10spd..this stuff is the BOMB!!
Quote | Reply
I am riding a 2004 Cervelo Soloist Team w/ DA 10. I just wonder how many others have had a chance to ride this stuff versus DA 9. I have been sooo impressed w/ the changes in this grouppo, particularly in the ease of STI shifting. It seems they significantly reduced the distance you need to move the shift lever...esp. the front chainring shifting. Wow! I did two 50mi rides this weekend and the first was on my Orbea w/ DA 9. Just finished on the Soloist and couldn't believe the difference.
Just wondered if others feel the same way?
HC

---------------------------------------------------
Holden Cain, ObGyn..."People pulling people out of people"
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10spd..this stuff is the BOMB!! [holdencain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to replace all of my drive train due to wearing it out after 5 yrs. I used 10 for all but the cranks & bb to save some bucks. I have bar end shifters but can't believe how tight 10 speed is. I have noticed a really big difference over my 9 which I thought was quite nice. Used DA on both. I use a 11-25 cassette I made from a 12-25. I put it on about a week before the Auburn Half and then yesterday put 152 with 7200 + on it along with a few other long rides in between so its been through the rigours. It's great.

Barb
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10spd..this stuff is the BOMB!! [BarbBikeTechie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I've always considered DA to be only a nominal upgrade, considering the overall quality of the Ultegra group. The number of world class athletes I've seen on Ultegra makes it hard to justify the DA stuff, for a mop like me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, unfortunately there is a significant difference. I went from Ultegra 9 on one bike and Campy Record 9 on another to DA 10. Wow. Especially front shifting which feels just like rear shifting now.

I was initially wondering if I was just getting the "latest" when I put it on my road bike, but there really is a diff - at least they made it somewhat worth the money. Campy stuff doesn't seem to change as much (not a bad thing at all mid you) and is probably better on road bike you plan on keeping for a while

Quote | Reply
"Wow! I did two 50mi rides this weekend and the first was on my Orbea w/ DA 9"

I LOVE the people on this site. They have better access to top end equipment than some professional road cyclists and triathletes!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10spd..this stuff is the BOMB!! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]"Wow! I did two 50mi rides this weekend and the first was on my Orbea w/ DA 9"

I LOVE the people on this site. They have better access to top end equipment than some professional road cyclists and triathletes!

Fleck[/reply]

I hope you mean that in a *nice* way. After three degrees and a 4yr residency I better get to enjoy life at least a little...;-)
Cheers,
HC

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutly!

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The problem with this is most people think the only difference is one cog. As you have experienced, the throw of the lever is substantially smaller with 10 speed than 9 speed. On an STI equipped bike that makes a lot of difference. With bar-end shifters, less so since the shift lever itself is so much smaller.

In general, I think Shimano would have done well to completely or partially re-name the group, like "Dura-Ace SL" or something like that.

If you look at the number of posts on here where people say, "I don't know what the big deal is going from 9 speed to 10 speed..." that points to the lack of understanding about the technological differences between the two groups. The difference in the crank alone is reason to switch from 9 to 10, and the front derailleur is a completely different unit.

Once people try it, they expereince what you just did- that it is subtantially different.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10spd..this stuff is the BOMB!! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

If you look at the number of posts on here where people say, "I don't know what the big deal is going from 9 speed to 10 speed..." that points to the lack of understanding about the technological differences between the two groups. The difference in the crank alone is reason to switch from 9 to 10, and the front derailleur is a completely different unit.
Spoken like a true retailer! ;)
Last edited by: Vek: May 29, 05 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10spd..this stuff is the BOMB!! [Vek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Except for a brief stint in service to my country, I have been a retailer my entire life....

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10spd..this stuff is the BOMB!! [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
That's cuz while they were following their dream, we were paying attention in math class.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura Ace 10spd..this stuff is the BOMB!! [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly, Tom.
Since I only recnetly completed indentured servitude(ie medical residency)I have only had bikes w/ Ultegra prior to this...Ultegra 8 and then 9spd. My Orbea w/ DA 9 spent a season of pro racing( NOT by me!) prior to getting to me. This DA 10spd is my first experience w/ a brand new grouppo....and I have the FSA Carbon crank vs. the DA(as spec by Cervelo..). I have never ridden Campy, so I cannot compare.
I am interested in how the Ultegra 10 STI compares to the DA 10?? Is the throw the same? Is the front der. as nice in action??
HC

Quote Reply