Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Dumb salesman- speed concept
Quote | Reply
Brought my transition into jax in irvine to get measurements on my new project one speed concept. Manager who's 21 is helping. Has no clue what's going on. Needs my help on how to lower stem and flip seat post on speed concept. Mind you I've never seen one in person. I told him I want my same sta. He asked what a sta was!?!?

Anyone know a better shop in socal to use project one through?
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb salesman- speed concept [Socalbeachbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Help would be awesome ride an xl transition and 56 da I ride steep and am 5'11. Medium or large speed concept? I'm supposed to ship my transition today to another st'er. This shop manager knows nothing!!!! I'm watching him fiddle with the aerobars as we speak.
Last edited by: Socalbeachbum: Dec 8, 10 12:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone know a better shop in socal to use project one through?

Here's an idea.

You have a tape measure, I hope.Take the measurements of the Transition and then go to work on the Speed Concept and try and get things close. It's not that hard.

Post up some pics here on the forum. Despite all the BS and the flaming you will take for your paint choices( for your walls, not your bike!!) there are actually some very knowledgeable and trustworthy people who are on the board who will help you out.

Just a guess, but I bet you can get to 98% of your best fit doing that. And that last 2% - don't sweat it, fit changes and their is always a bit of tweaking here and there.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Dec 3, 10 14:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to physically replicate your position on a 9-series bike in person is a nice touch, but certainly not the easy way to go about this. Plug pad stack and reach from your old bike into the 9-series fit chart and with rare exceptions it'll spit out a best match for ordering purposes. The how-to for those measurements is under the "resources" tab for every SC model on the website.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're 5'11" and ride an XL? which seat post? how many specers under stem? Any idea of saddle height? I'm just over 6', and am looking at transitions, and am trying to get a sense of sizing. Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go see Hank at Edge Cyclesports....just a couple of miles down the road.

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb salesman- speed concept [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Trying to physically replicate your position on a 9-series bike in person is a nice touch, but certainly not the easy way to go about this. Plug pad stack and reach from your old bike into the 9-series fit chart and with rare exceptions it'll spit out a best match for ordering purposes. The how-to for those measurements is under the "resources" tab for every SC model on the website.

X2.

... but if you get overwhelmed (which would be understandable), just post your fit here and we'll help you out. I agree with Fleck as well. Should be fairly easy.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb salesman- speed concept [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys for the advice. Taking the measurements is the easy part on my end, but trying to replicate it on a speed concept that I can't see is hard and I need to ship my bike out tonight.

The bike shop only had one stem, so I couldn't play with it as much as I'd like. I called jt Lyons, who did my fit and he's getting me my stack and reach numbers. Hoping to get those numbers and order the appropriate size bike. I'm assuming that the trek will work for me based on the bikes geometry (short torso long legs)

I'm just amazed how a project one dealer knows nothing about their tier 1 bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb salesman- speed concept [Camel's Toe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at my profile my transition is pictured
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, that's the last place I would go. ChadJ was looking at getting a SC and he seemed to get some pretty good help at CycleWerks and Two Wheels One Planet, both in Costa Mesa and both Trek dealers.

(Of course, I would go see Hank at Edge but that's just me.)

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Re: Dumb salesman- speed concept [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does Edge carry Trek now? Actually - do they carry any bikes? All I have seen in there for the past year is a Guru and I think a QR.
Nice people at Edge. Good work. But unless you deal with Hank or his wife, it is a "weird" experience.
For everday cycling needs (nutrition, parts, etc) I have been hitting Rock N Road or performance. At least I know that they will have everything in stock.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb salesman- speed concept [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
heres my fit numbers

Seat angle: 81 degrees
Saddle height: 80.5cm
Bottom Bracket setback: -1
Cockpit: 48.5
Drop: -15cm

Adamo saddle zipp vuka and 100 stem on current xl transition.

The numbers listed are from my fit with JT at moment on his fit bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb salesman- speed concept [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are not a Trek dealer but Hank is the only person I would trust with something like this. And he would do it even though he doesn't sell Trek. Inventory is a little light but times are tough out there. AFAIK, they carry Felt, Guru, Seven, Moots, Bianchi, Kuota, Quintana Roo and Calfee. They've always been really good to me and my wife, so I do what I can to support them.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw your post, I am just over 6ft too (maybe 6 foot 1/2 inch) and am currently on a L (56) Transition, which I am going to sell. I would need to be on the new 2010 XL Transition if I were going to ride one, as the stack is just too low for me (very long legs, shorter torso). So I am guessing you are an XL?? but if you know your stack and reach, and fit the 08 or 09 L, let me know, as I will have a Transition Pro for sale (mostly all DuraAce, black frame with white carbon seatpost) and will be "transitioning" to a C'dale Slice or Parlee TT as their S/R figures are way better for me... Cheers to a new bike!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your up for a drive, there are 3 trek stores in san diego have have SC's on the floor.

http://trekbicyclesuperstore.com/

ishi no ue ni san nen | Perseverance will win in the end. | Blog | @nebmot | Strava | Instagram |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
holy hell you must have really long legs.

I'm 5 ft. 10 in. and my saddle height is only about 737 mm
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb salesman- speed concept [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the response. you guys have me thinking an XL may be the answer. My "current" setup may or may not be applicable, as I'm coming off an injury that limits my ability to get as low as I'd like, thus I'm also looking for something taller. But best of luck to you in getting rid of yours. Which seatpost are you running on yours? How steep are you riding?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to Cyclewerks in Costa Mesa and have Paul Deem size you up! They are selling Speed Concepts.

Like T says, "Remember it is all about the Bike because it is all about the Run!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the S-works standard setback extended seatpost. Run in the 78-80 range. Just know that the stack and reach on the Transition has CHANGED in 2010 (higher stack than before) so make sure you get a standard fit for your best stack and reach, before you buy. I love the bike, but my big mistake was buying because I liked the looks and "thought" it would be a good fit. Now I know C'dale Slice, Parlee TT and Scott Plasma are practically custom for me, and the Transition is going going....

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The stack has changed for the XL, that is... not L

Quote Reply
Re: Dumb salesman- speed concept [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
im hoping carl will see my fit numbers and chime in on what size I should go with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope you didn't say "sta" as in the initials. That's just silly. You should have just said "seat tube angle" because sta means jack shit. It's not a common or recongnised acronym.

We can't expect every bike shop employee to have the same level of specific knowledge about bikes as us. Working in a bike shop doesn't suddenly make you an expert on anything. The guy is 21, is possibly more interested in another style of riding or heck, he might just be working there because he needs a job somewhere.

I'm not saying don't go elsewhere if you do happen to need advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Dumb salesman- speed concept [The Real Animal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did say seat tube angle. I was more bothered that this "kid" is the manager and the one I was directed to speak with after using the project one website. He knew absolutely nothing about the speed concept that he was selling let alone basic bike geometry. I will most definately go elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah, head elsewhere.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Socal- Can I ask what your final selling price for the Transition was?

"This ain't no wedding dance, get moving" - SS
Quote Reply

Prev Next